2006 Civic - Official Information & Pics

?

• Total voters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

phunky.buddha

Mad scientist
VIP
Link to Honda's preview site:

http://automobiles.honda.com/civics/index....civic.honda.com

Link to article about the new 1.8L SOHC engine:

http://sema.honda.com/news/article.aspx?p=2005070635968

I think it's all pretty badass. The 2006 model doesn't look like the ugly Euro hatch that we all saw a few months ago, and the technical specs look very promising at this point. The new SOHC iVTEC engine has the same power/torque specs as the old B18B, it has bore/stroke dimensions almost identical to the B18C, and according to Honda- the block design is supposed to be much stiffer than the old block... which means it's probably a design related to the K block (if it's not a K block)- which means that it will hold power mods (especially turbos) very well. Timing chain (no belt) = more reliable high revving too.

Read up!

^ Yeah but we have never ACTUALLY had a thread discussing the yay's and nay's of the new civic.

For one, it is still a civic both in form and function. Thats good for honda because the civic is one of the best selling cars of all time.

One thing i will assume from reading a technical description of the new 1.8 sohc's behavior is that it has even less performance potential than those pos 1.7 liter's did.

. . Sadly, i fear the best civics have already been built.

10.5:1 compression for an econo engine? If it's only making 140 hp that must mean the timing is terribly retarded so that it will run on 87 octane. I can't imagine Honda requiring premium for the base Civic. If that is the case there should be some power to be unlocked by changing the ignition maps and running premium fuel.

Horray for the new saturn civi.. I mean Honda civic!!!

**edit**

a few nice things in the Si model, though
197 HP 2.0L
Close ratio 6 speed
Helical limited slip
Killer gas mileage...
Electronic Brake Distribution... Does this mean we'll be able to chip/hack our brake systems and dial in the brakes manually? That would friggin rock.

I just would never trust a drive by wire system, even if it was only the throttle.

Nice features, but they need to shoot the exterior designer in the fucking head.

i think it looks great. nav is a plus (depending on how easy it is to use) and the 6 speed kicks ass.

all n all, i still wouldnt buy it........only if they made it rwd or awd... i think it still need more power, stock. i know you can add turbos and all that biz, but it needs more power from the factory, period.

Originally posted by allmotord16rex@Sep 8 2005, 10:17 AM
10.5:1 compression for an econo engine? If it's only making 140 hp that must mean the timing is terribly retarded so that it will run on 87 octane. I can't imagine Honda requiring premium for the base Civic. If that is the case there should be some power to be unlocked by changing the ignition maps and running premium fuel.
[post=551407]Quoted post[/post]​

exactly what i was thinkin

Originally posted by Seany-izzle@Sep 8 2005, 11:52 AM
i think it looks great. nav is a plus (depending on how easy it is to use) and the 6 speed kicks ass.

[post=551419]Quoted post[/post]​

Judging from the nav system in my buddies old TSX, it would be VERY easy to use.

eq > ep

is this even an EQ? lol i dunno but the ep3 hatch sucked ass. this kicks its ass... but the em1 > both of these imo...

Originally posted by pissedoffsol+Sep 8 2005, 07:39 AM-->
:repost: X3423
[post=551327]Quoted post[/post]​

Yeah, but this is the first with actual hard OFFICIAL information and tech specs on the engine.

Originally posted by allmotord16rex@Sep 8 2005, 10:17 AM
[post=551407]Quoted post[/post]​

Nah. Good tuning and engine setup can make 10.5:1 run on 87 octane. Heck, they were doing it with 9.6:1 back in 1996, so I'd think another 10 years of development is a reasonable amount of time for Honda to optimize a higher compression design to run on the cheap stuff.

Originally posted by phyregod@Sep 8 2005, 10:29 AM
I just would never trust a drive by wire system, even if it was only the throttle.
[post=551408]Quoted post[/post]​

Ever drive the TSX or any of the new BMWs or Benzes?

Originally posted by Seany-izzle@Sep 8 2005, 10:52 AM
only if they made it rwd or awd... i think it still need more power, stock. i know you can add turbos and all that biz, but it needs more power from the factory, period.
[post=551419]Quoted post[/post]​

All that will never happen from the factory. Make it RWD and you start stepping on S2000 territory; add more power and you make it too fast in comparison to the S2k, RSX and the NSX replacement.

Originally posted by Cashizslick@Sep 8 2005, 04:30 PM
Judging from the nav system in my buddies old TSX, it would be VERY easy to use.
[post=551591]Quoted post[/post]​

:werd:

You just have to talk very clearly, then be patient while the car "thinks" about what you just said.

pissedoffsol
@Sep 8 2005, 05:02 PM
eq > ep

is this even an EQ? lol i dunno but the ep3 hatch sucked ass. this kicks its ass... but the em1 > both of these imo...
[post=551604]Quoted post[/post]​

I think this one is way better than the EM1.

Civic died when they took the pink eraser to the ED chassis in 1991.

That is all.

Originally posted by Calesta@Sep 8 2005, 01:31 AM
Timing chain (no belt) = more reliable high revving too.
[post=551262]Quoted post[/post]​

if its still using a hydraulic tensioner like the k-series then there might be problems. there are a few guys on k20a.org that had their tensioners fail.

I like the aggressive looking front end. I don't like the dash. The tail is alright, but not very different from the latest models.

The engine sounds good, especially the SI.

Originally posted by K2e2vin+Sep 9 2005, 07:10 AM-->
if its still using a hydraulic tensioner like the k-series then there might be problems. there are a few guys on k20a.org that had their tensioners fail.
[post=551837]Quoted post[/post]​

I haven't played with many K blocks yet, so I really don't know much about this. I think it would be a small issue compared to the major advantages the K blocks have over the B and D blocks.

tab
@Sep 9 2005, 10:32 AM
I like the aggressive looking front end. I don't like the dash. The tail is alright, but not very different from the latest models.

The engine sounds good, especially the SI.
[post=551909]Quoted post[/post]​

I think that it look somewhat like the current Accord... so a good family resemblance, but made a bit edgier looking to attract a younger buyer.

Prices anyone ??

Below are the prices for the Civic Coupe and Sedan Models

Sedan
DX - $14,560 (5MT), $15,360.00 (5AT)
LX - $16,510 (5MT), $17,310 (5AT)
EX - $18,260 (5MT), $19,060 (5AT)
EX/Navi - $19,760 (5MT), $20,560.00 (5AT)

Coupe
DX - $14,360 (5MT), $15,160 (5AT)
LX - $16,310 (5MT), $17,110 (5AT)
EX - $18,260 (5MT), $19,060 (5AT)
EX/Navi - $20,010 (5MT), $20,810 (5AT)

Above pricing does not include additional $550 destination charge.

I would image the Si price would be around the EX coupe price

Back