2006 Eclipse sales halted, recalled

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

DarkHand

VIP
From Edmunds.com:

LOS ANGELES — Mitsubishi has halted sales of its redesigned 2006 Eclipse, a sport coupe the ailing Japanese automaker was counting on to jump-start the brand because of a problem with the vacuum brake booster, which could result in brake failure.

The company issued an "urgent notice" to dealers to stop sales and informed the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration of the problem on Tuesday, according to Automotive News.

Mitsubishi said up to 1,185 vehicles could be affected. Of those, 44 have been sold to consumers and 400 are at dealerships. The rest are in transit. Mitsubishi said the problem was so serious it will send technicians to buyers' homes to check their vehicles. It said the problem at the plant in Normal, Illinois, should be fixed by the end of the week.

Mitsubishi began shipping the Eclipse to dealers last Thursday, 10 days ahead of schedule. Earlier this week, the company said it was increasing production at the Normal plant from 760 cars per week to 1,000 to meet high demand from U.S. dealers.

What this means to you: This is depressing news for fans of the sporty Eclipse, but Mitsubishi has caught it early and is correcting it swiftly. That should be some reassurance. But the company really needs a flawless launch from here on out.

:lol:

Didnt somone just post somthing about Mitsu being in the red for the past few years? This really isnt gonna help the cause. The concept idea was really cool but the actual production car is still alright.

Originally posted by ripperbone@May 27 2005, 11:04 AM
the new eclipse sucks anyway
[post=504315]Quoted post[/post]​

werd x4959834759745

w00 w00 (eclipse GT) 200hp with a crappy n/a v6. . . .

Originally posted by reckedracing@May 27 2005, 10:30 AM
someone should send this to FORD...

fuckers
[post=504302]Quoted post[/post]​

:withstupid: And GM! Build it right the first time.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@May 27 2005, 01:22 PM
it's ugly as fuck. they should just stop while they still can
[post=504373]Quoted post[/post]​

:withstupid:

Glad an Import company is finally getting noticed for shit like this. Seems only the domestic names get dragged through the mud for recalls.

Originally posted by 2000Si+May 28 2005, 02:56 AM-->
pissedoffsol
@May 27 2005, 01:22 PM
it's ugly as fuck. they should just stop while they still can

Glad an Import company is finally getting noticed for shit like this. Seems only the domestic names get dragged through the mud for recalls.
[post=504610]Quoted post[/post]​

thats because domestics have recals of 100,000+ cars once a month, where your higher quality Japanese brands (Nissan, Toyota, Honda) have alot less serious recalls per 1000 cars then ford, chevy or dodge.

Originally posted by asmallsol+May 28 2005, 11:52 AM-->
Originally posted by 2000Si@May 28 2005, 02:56 AM
pissedoffsol
@May 27 2005, 01:22 PM
it's ugly as fuck.  they should just stop while they still can

[post=504610]Quoted post[/post]​

thats because domestics have recals of 100,000+ cars once a month, where your higher quality Japanese brands (Nissan, Toyota, Honda) have alot less serious recalls per 1000 cars then ford, chevy or dodge.
[post=504673]Quoted post[/post]​

Yes I realize that. But a lot of Ford's recalls are for seat belt latches or faulty wiring of some sort that isn't going to cause you to lose braking power. And because of that Ford's name gets dragged through the mud by the media and all the Ford haters on this board.

I didnt know it was released already so I went to their website..... 3.8l V6? that just doesnt sound right in a compact coupe, if its still actually compact. overall i dont think its an ugly car. anyone seen it up close, how does it compare in size to to generations ago?

Originally posted by preluderjs@May 28 2005, 02:24 PM
I didnt know it was released already so I went to their website..... 3.8l V6? that just doesnt sound right in a compact coupe, if its still actually compact. overall i dont think its an ugly car. anyone seen it up close, how does it compare in size to to generations ago?
[post=504700]Quoted post[/post]​

It's a bigger car than the earlier eclipse. I have a few pictures of it from the auto show in 2004.

Back