3 bar map sensor

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

formby

learning in progress
so i did minimal research on this but i did look around....

i read this

and went here
GM Parts Direct: Your direct source for Genuine GM Parts | GMPartsDirect.com

however i have no idea how to install the sensor or what pugs to use...

i use a turbo edit chipped obd0 ecu and soon ill change over to a crome p28 set up in the rex....

does any one have a write up on the 3 bar map sensor install?????

just unplug your stock map sensor, and splice it in. give the gm a vac source from the manifold. its 3 wires just like ours is.

DSC00536.JPG

DSC00560.JPG

green plug:

DSC00594.JPG

DSC00392.JPG

DSC00393.JPG

DSC00394.JPG

DSC00396.JPG

wire colors are lettered: see the post-it pic above...
DSC00397.JPG

GM sells a pig-tail too... the sensor won't come with it- i suggest you buy it.

DSC00400.JPG

DSC00398.JPG

as far as the computer is concerned, just make sure you set the turbo edit to run off the 3-bar, and its done.

Last edited by a moderator:
called gm...

the green map plug (pig tail) part # is 12085502

and the map sensor part # is 12223861

thank you B...

I know vafc are no good, but can a 3 bar map sensor be used with a stock ecu and a vafc??

no...our ecu's are n/a and dont know what to do with the read outs.....so you need an ems

werd, since the voltage range is still the same, 0--5v for WOT and 0% throttle, the increments are way off. the oem ecu won't know what to do with the reading of 1 volt expecting, say 100 cfm of air, vs the 3-bars 1 volt signla when theres 200 cfm of air.

just numbers for example here...

okay...TE is an ems...if your ecu is chipped just have a chip burned that reads the sensor...or i would buy an ostrich from Welcome to www.moates.net! and make the change

Last edited by a moderator:
I know, I have turbo edit and a 3 bar map sensor works fine, but i seen this thread and remembered a friend with a vafc was asking if it was possible to use a 3 bar map sensor with his vafc. sorry for the complication

stock ecu cannot use it. you need to have a program that can read and intrepret the 3-bar voltage range, such as a chip

Back