88 HF trans in 89 Si clutch issues

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

princeykins

I have an 89 Si though I believe the trans was replaced with a DX model trans. I have an 88 HF trans I want to install and have read on a number of websites that the ticket is to use a 21 spline clutch disc that is 8 1/4" or 8 3/8" out of an Accord from '86 to '88, along with the stock CRX Si pressure plate and flywheel.

Well, just to be on the safe side, I went researching at multiple auto parts stores and did some parts ordering and have ended up with what I believe to be everything I need, a stock Si pressure plate, and I purchased 2 clutch discs, both for an 88 Accord LXi because one parts store listed 8 1/4" and the other 8 3/8" and they were inexpnesive. I haven't disassembled anything yet, because when I try to fit the disc 8 1/4" or 8 3/8" to the pressure plate, neither will seat on the pressure plate, with the 8 3/8" obviously being the worse of the two. I'm confused.

Multiple websites have verified and recommended the same combo over and over. 21 spline disc with stock flywheel and pressure plate. If anyone has any suggestions or ideas they are welcomed.

BTW, the smaller and OEM type disc uses brass friction material , the larger, made by Zoom, uses a fiber organic type wear material.

Thanks.

John

90 and up are the only ones that use the 212mm diameter clutch - the 89 uses a 200mm diameter clutch - the 89 flywheel will not accept the larger diameter clutch - you need an 88 CRX Si clutch, which is 21 spline and 200mm diameter

Thank you for the clarification. I'll order that disc and have a nice collection! Finally the correct one as well. If I ordered the 90+ flywheel and PP, I gather either of the Accord discs would fit?

John

Thank you for the clarification. I'll order that disc and have a nice collection! Finally the correct one as well. If I ordered the 90+ flywheel and PP, I gather either of the Accord discs would fit?

John
that is correct

212mm clutch disc won't fit that transmission anyways.
the Accord disc that he has is 212mm with 21 splines and will work with his 88 transmission - his problem is that he has an 89 flywheel which will accept only the 190mm and 200mm clutches, not the 212mm - he could get a 90 and up 212mm flywheel and pressure plate and then use the Accord disc

I did the same thing with my 89 (upgraded to 212mm), but I forgot that the 88 had the different spline

the Accord disc that he has is 212mm with 21 splines and will work with his 88 transmission - his problem is that he has an 89 flywheel which will accept only the 190mm and 200mm clutches, not the 212mm - he could get a 90 and up 212mm flywheel and pressure plate and then use the Accord disc

I was referring to the 200/212mm comment. Good to know the Accord disc is the same size though.

Back