88 trans into 91 civic si compatability

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

MarcD

Hi
New member here!
I have a bone stock 1991 Civic Si hatchback with 225k and a sloppy differential (passenger side oil seal blown and wobbly inner CV...able to wiggle the side gear around with a finger after pulling the axle)

I'd like to keep the Si ratio's, but am too cheap to have the diff rebuilt. There is a local Craigslist trans available as follows:

88 trans out of a CRX-Si, '88 clutch(disc and pressure plate with 10K) and '89 flywheel (resurfaced 10k ago) for $150.

Seller says he bought the trans from a 88 crx and used it in his '89 crx. He is certain that it's an Si trans per the "10 revolutions in first gear=correct output shaft location" test.

The question is will this setup work in my '91? I understand that the '88 trans has a different input shaft and would require the '88 clutch disc; is the '89
flywheel needed to adapt the '88 clutch assembly to my '91 motor? I wouldn't mind replacing the clutch as mine chatters anyway!

Thanks in advance,
Marc

Hi!
Thanks for the reply;

so to summarize:

I will bolt the '89 flywheel onto my '91 Civic Si crankshaft, then assemble the '88 clutch disc and pressure plate to that flywheel with an '88 alignment tool, then bolt the '88 transmission to the engine assembly, complete routine reassembly with the stock axles and drive off into the sunset, right?

This is a GREAT exercise in Critical Path Logic!!!

MarcD

I will bolt the '89 flywheel onto my '91 Civic Si crankshaft, then assemble the '88 clutch disc and pressure plate to that flywheel with an '88 alignment tool, then bolt the '88 transmission to the engine assembly, complete routine reassembly with the stock axles and drive off into the sunset, right?
yes, that will work

Back