89' Crx All Wheel Drive?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

b18vtecrx

hey everybody im looking to start a project on converting my 89' HF to an all wheel drive vehicle.......so what amount of trouble will i run into? is the conversion possible to do? i was thinking of using the setup from a CRV but i dont know if it will bolt on or what i need to go through to make it work oh and when i do this i will have an LS motor in my car will i need to use a CRV motor??? plz tell me all you know i know nothing and am trying to start off good by knowing all i can.....thnx :huh:

Dude, i HAVE THOUGHT of doing the same thing at one point in time. Theroretically, The CRV shares the same chaissis as a civic, so I guess fillting all the parts wouldn't be all that difficult with some thoughful engineering. The only thing that sux is that U would have to use the CRV tranny, and I don't know if you've ever seen one, but they are rather large. Also they are Hydraulic tranny's so you would have to convert your car over.. I suggest you start with an EG civic. It would probably be easier on you. Good luck and let me know the progress :woo:

Originally posted by ryanwolfe911@Mar 11 2003, 01:10 PM
Dude, i HAVE THOUGHT of doing the same thing at one point in time. Theroretically, The CRV shares the same chaissis as a civic, so I guess fillting all the parts wouldn't be all that difficult with some thoughful engineering. The only thing that sux is that U would have to use the CRV tranny, and I don't know if you've ever seen one, but they are rather large. Also they are Hydraulic tranny's so you would have to convert your car over.. I suggest you start with an EG civic. It would probably be easier on you. Good luck and let me know the progress :woo:

Think SMARTER, not harder

the only awd fast hona i have seen was a guy i ran into a while back but he used the 86 AWD honda tranny from the tercel or corrola or soemthing he had that whole drvietrain with a built turbo and a 50 shot, one thing he told though was that teh tranny would always go out when he would launch about 5000 rpm, but once moving it just got up and went, i asked him if he said if it was worth it his response was "kinda"....

It's going to take a lot of custom work and it is going to be expensive.Do a search on here,there was someone a while back with a decent idea about it.

that thing is sick, i woonder how fast it is, although that AWD has got to make it heavy, and from that shot on the rear i bet hes got some MAJOR clearance problems

Mother of god!! That rex is unfuckin believable. I guess I wasn't too far off in saying that the parts were similar. Props to that Frenchie for pulling it off. It makes me wanna do that to my 93 Civic hatch. Come to think of it I know where I can get my hands on a WRECKED CR-V....... be back in like a month. lol :worthy:

thnx but can everybody search for some sort of site where somebody explains the shit you have to go through to get this hooked up??? please help me? thnx for the site too it helps to see that somebody has done it and its possible

ok... follow me here
the 88-89 civic wagon was available in an AWD format. it was a 4-spd + low range.
the parts should be easily converted, since they are from the same platform, but in order to keep the AWD, you will need to retain a d-series engine. you could build the crap out of a sohc vtec, or a zc, and you would prolly have to have a few pieces shortened, since the wago-van is a long bastard, but it should be far more straight-forward to accomplish

if you can get hold of a 1st gen eclipse take the awd of it and use the 4G63T engine out of it. I am doing that all you need is a sledge hammer and a welder, i got the car all i need is a damn old hatch back :unsure: that looks it shit!!!! but its aolt easier to do it this way then doing the crv awd set-uo

Originally posted by EGLSHB@Mar 21 2003, 04:59 PM
ok... follow me here
the 88-89 civic wagon was available in an AWD format. it was a 4-spd + low range.
the parts should be easily converted, since they are from the same platform, but in order to keep the AWD, you will need to retain a d-series engine. you could build the crap out of a sohc vtec, or a zc, and you would prolly have to have a few pieces shortened, since the wago-van is a long bastard, but it should be far more straight-forward to accomplish

correct me if I'm wrong but the awd civic tranny only diverts 10% of the power to the rear. <_<

unless you plan on autox why go awd if you want to drift or drag rwd is the only way to go

The 88-89 civic wagon is 4WD, not awd and you have to manually engage it with a button on the dash. And it does only transmit 10% of the power to the rear wheels, which by the way, is a SOLID REAR AXLE. (yuck), so doing this conversion would be a complete waste of time unless you are buildind a winter car, in which case I would just drive the Civic wagon anyway. I still think the CR-V drivetrain would be a more viable option

to the best of my knowledge the CR-V's driveline split is 90/10 (Front/Rear) during normal driving and only goes up to 80/20 when the front wheels start to slip. I think this is so because it would take a much larger rear end to handle a 50/50 or 60/40 split.

fuck all that shit silent bob. if your droppin so much loot, why dont you buy a DC teg, put an NSX motor behind the seats and make that fucker a rwd drift machine? or an S2k motor in an ek coupe or sumthin i dunno. anything can be done with the know how and the green. ;) none of you guys better steal my fuckin ideas damnit

Why? Because CRX's handle beautifully FWD, imagine what they could do AWD. If your gonna do all that you should take a WRX drivetrain. Might as well go with the best.

fuck all that shit silent bob. if your droppin so much loot, why dont you buy a DC teg, put an NSX motor behind the seats and make that fucker a rwd drift machine? or an S2k motor in an ek coupe or sumthin i dunno. anything can be done with the know how and the green.  none of you guys better steal my fuckin ideas damnit

Trust me n00B, if your just now thinkin bout it, theres 50 guys who already did it.

Back