89 CRX HF SWAP

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SPPIII89HF

Heres the deal, I have an 89 CRX HF. prefect shape. I want more power and willing to scarifice some MPG for the power. I have been researching and talking to a few tuners that said the easiest and cheapest swap would be the D16A6 and keep the HF tranny for the better gas mileage. I dont plan on racing or anything, just when I feel like slammin on the gas, I wanna go somewhere unlike the car' current status when the AC is on (I live in the dang AZ Desert) :angry: to downshift to 3rd from 5th to go anywhere.

Help me out guys. Budget is tight, but will spend enough to get the job done. :nod:

when i swapped to my a6 motor/tranny combo my mpg actually went up. i was getting like 30mpg with the HF, but with the SI motor and tranny, i get around 35mpg. but the a6 motor with the HF tranny would definately keep your mpg up, and also net you about a 50hp gain.

the a6 is a direct drop-in, no wiring changes at all. just make sure you order the clutch for what year your tranny is, and use your current flywheel

My CRX HF right now gets 47 mpg with no tweeking or anything. Reason to keep the mpg high, is I drive 30 miles to work one way. 35 actually isnt a bad number either. :blink:

Would the D16A6 Swap be pull out and swap and plug back into everything swap? Meaning a carelessly easy swap.

hf trannys suck ass (no power). get a si tranny

Originally posted by ripperbone@Jul 5 2005, 02:15 PM
[post=520946]Quoted post[/post]​

Power? tranny has nothing to do with power. Tranny distributes the power by the engine. The larger gear ratios will do exact what I need. MPG as well as have more power behind the tranny with the D16A6.

Originally posted by SPPIII89HF+Jul 5 2005, 03:18 PM-->
ripperbone
@Jul 5 2005, 02:15 PM
[post=520946]Quoted post[/post]​

Power? tranny has nothing to do with power. Tranny distributes the power by the engine. The larger gear ratios will do exact what I need. MPG as well as have more power behind the tranny with the D16A6.
[post=520951]Quoted post[/post]​

so keep your hf tranny and still be slow.
you could even put a d16z6 w/ your hf tranny in your car and you'll still be slow :fuckyou3:

you can have all the power in the world in your motor but if your tanny cant support it then what good is it. understand that you want excellent mpg but if your looking for more power than what you got then you have to go with a different tranny

Originally posted by ryan89crx@Jul 5 2005, 02:02 PM
when i swapped to my a6 motor/tranny combo my mpg actually went up. i was getting like 30mpg with the HF, but with the SI motor and tranny, i get around 35mpg. but the a6 motor with the HF tranny would definately keep your mpg up, and also net you about a 50hp gain.

the a6 is a direct drop-in, no wiring changes at all. just make sure you order the clutch for what year your tranny is, and use your current flywheel
[post=520927]Quoted post[/post]​

:feedback: what do think would be a reasonable price for a D16A6 motor and tranny. Where is a good place to get these item close to Arizona.

Originally posted by SPPIII89HF+Jul 5 2005, 04:30 PM-->
ryan89crx
@Jul 5 2005, 02:02 PM

[post=520927]Quoted post[/post]​

:feedback: what do think would be a reasonable price for a D16A6 motor and tranny. Where is a good place to get these item close to Arizona.
[post=521010]Quoted post[/post]​

out in colorado you can pick up a motor and tranny for around 200 or less.
try some of the junkyards where your at first see what they charge for the setup.

here is another idea for you also
https://hondaswap.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=29791

Originally posted by SPPIII89HF@Jul 5 2005, 01:07 PM
Would the D16A6 Swap be pull out and swap and plug back into everything swap? Meaning a carelessly easy swap.
[post=520935]Quoted post[/post]​

yes it would. everything plugs right in. the only difference is that the HF has an egr valve, the a6 doesnt. you just let that plug hang, dont worry, you wont throw a CEL. even if you decided to use the SI tranny, you could still use your HF axles, but i wouldnt trust them for racing or anything, but just DD they should be fine

make sure you use the HF engine harness on the A6 engine (otherwise it won't run) - the A6, if it is 89-91 (not 88) model will have a fast idle control valve on the back of the intake manifold on the driver's side end - the HF harness will not have a plug for it - don't worry about it, just plug vacuum ports and leave it not connected - it only works to increase idle at very low ambient air temperature, below -10C (14F)

:D Sounds like this swap wouldn't be a bad job to do. <_< Is there any things that I should watch out for doing the swap? Any special tools.

:wall: I found that on another forum, the tuner left the HF Flywheel... there is probably a difference between the two... weight and size. Which is going to be better for gas mileage while still making the car more fun to drive with the D16A6 in it.

Originally posted by jlicrx@Jul 6 2005, 06:13 AM
make sure you use the HF engine harness on the A6 engine (otherwise it won't run) - the A6, if it is 89-91 (not 88) model will have a fast idle control valve on the back of the intake manifold on the driver's side end - the HF harness will not have a plug for it - don't worry about it, just plug vacuum ports and leave it not connected - it only works to increase idle at very low ambient air temperature, below -10C (14F)
[post=521396]Quoted post[/post]​

not true, i am using the HF harness on my a6, idles fine at 750rpms. never thrown a CEL, never had any issues whatsoever. like i said before, the only thing it that the HF has an EGR, the a6 doesnt. let that plug just hang disconnected, it wont affect anything because the pm6 doesnt even recognize it. you will not get a CEL.

People also say to use the a6 map sensor/vacuum box because it has 2 less vacuum lines than the a6, you dont have to. I am still running my HF map sensor/box with my a6 but have 2 lines blocked off because they are not necessary. one is for the EGR, the other i cant recall. just look in the SI repair manual, the vacuum lines have #s on them, it will tell you which ones the a6 requires and where to put them. Connect where necessary, block the others off

Originally posted by SPPIII89HF+Jul 6 2005, 07:27 AM-->
:wall: I found that on another forum, the tuner left the HF Flywheel... there is probably a difference between the two... weight and size. Which is going to be better for gas mileage while still making the car more fun to drive with the D16A6 in it.
[post=521433]Quoted post[/post]​
not necessarily weight, but size of the friction surface, and splines on the '88. with the '88 tranny, use the '88 flywheel and clutch. other than that, just match the clutch to the flywheel year. http://thenew.gamesbbs.com/~dmoore/tranny.htm

ripperbone

here is another idea for you also
https://hondaswap.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=29791

that doesnt work unless you want holes in the top of your pistons. the HF has only 2 valve reliefs per piston, so putting a 16 valve head is going to cause some interference. people have tried it on d-series.org, and it only lasted long enough for the valves to beat the shit out of the pistons. https://hondaswap.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=50912

Originally posted by ryan89crx+Jul 6 2005, 09:48 AM-->
@Jul 6 2005, 06:13 AM

not true, i am using the HF harness on my a6, idles fine at 750rpms. never thrown a CEL, never had any issues whatsoever. like i said before, the only thing it that the HF has an EGR, the a6 doesnt. let that plug just hang disconnected, it wont affect anything because the pm6 doesnt even recognize it. you will not get a CEL.

People also say to use the a6 map sensor/vacuum box because it has 2 less vacuum lines than the a6, you dont have to. I am still running my HF map sensor/box with my a6 but have 2 lines blocked off because they are not necessary. one is for the EGR, the other i cant recall. just look in the SI repair manual, the vacuum lines have #s on them, it will tell you which ones the a6 requires and where to put them. Connect where necessary, block the others off
[post=521445]Quoted post[/post]​

what is not true about what I said? i don't appreciate some smart ass "thinks-he-knows-it-all" telling me i am wrong and then proceed to say the exact same thing

Originally posted by jlicrx+Jul 6 2005, 06:41 PM-->
Originally posted by ryan89crx@Jul 6 2005, 09:48 AM
jlicrx
@Jul 6 2005, 06:13 AM

[post=521445]Quoted post[/post]​

what is not true about what I said? i don't appreciate some smart ass "thinks-he-knows-it-all" telling me i am wrong and then proceed to say the exact same thing
[post=521864]Quoted post[/post]​

whoops, i misread, i thought you said the other way around...to use the a6 instead of the hf. my bad, take it easy killer, no need to get upset

JDM 3 Stage VTEC-E d15b is the answer. I was seriously considering this motor while i was delivering pizza. Its a single cam motor that under 2500 RPMs Gos into a lean burning/12 valve mode and brings in killer gas mileage (comparable to a Civic VX) after that it just acts like a normal vtec motor, delivering 130 horse power at 7200 RPM, to top it off, its cheap as hell. This seems like the perfect solution for you, I would look into it.

Originally posted by mkiiisuprabeef@Jul 15 2005, 09:05 PM
JDM 3 Stage VTEC-E d15b is the answer. I was seriously considering this motor while i was delivering pizza. Its a single cam motor that under 2500 RPMs Gos into a lean burning/12 valve mode and brings in killer gas mileage (comparable to a Civic VX) after that it just acts like a normal vtec motor, delivering 130 horse power at 7200 RPM, to top it off, its cheap as hell. This seems like the perfect solution for you, I would look into it.
[post=527098]Quoted post[/post]​

Has anyone done this swap?

I currently put the CRX on hold for while searching for a better engine mod. Honestly, the car isnt worth much so spend more than the cars worth is not realistic. JDM 3 Stage VTEC-E d15b does sound like a good idea.

Any guides for such a swap?

Back