89 CRX HF ZC sohc problem.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

nofxSOHCcrx

89 CRX HF with SOHC ZC with light mods.

O.k. I was driving in town yesterday and all of a sudden when I would start to get going and giving it a good amount of gas, the engine would start to sputter and the RPM's would flutter like crazy. I looked at the ECU today and it was showing a 1, and a 20. O2, and electric load. I replaced the O2 sensor, and noticed that there was a really loose connector to the alternator, so I pushed it all the way back on. Took the negative cable off and waited a min, put it back on, put the car in the ON position looked at the ECU LED and no codes. I still have the RPM fluttering problem...If I barely press the gas from idle, and I'm talkin just barely tapping it, the RPM's will jump to about 2500 and then go back to idle, but the engine is not going in that RPM range...it's just the gauge. If I'm driving and go to floor it, it will shoot down reaaal low, and then go way up, and back down and so on and so on, but if I'm driving the engine and the RPM gauge do it at the same time. I get get all the way through the RPM range with no problem if I push the gas enough to ease my way up. All my fuses are good, and from what I can tell, all my connections are good. I cannot figure this out, any help would be majorly appreciated. I have to take it to the state ref cause of a cop that was being too nice to me lol. I just keep running into problem after problem and it's really starting to get to me...

Just wanted to post what I did to solve the problem...

I checked and re-checked everything I could think of. I cleaned the IACV, I changed the Distributor out for another one on my other rex, checked my grounds, checked my plugs, checked connections to the RPM guage...almost everything.

Had a friend come over to start fidling with it, and he brought over a non-MSD Distributor cap, and some internals. Put it together and vwala, the sparatic RPM was no longer, but then the engine sputters and dies. We start it back up, un-plug the IACV and it runs like normal...well crap...it can't ever be just one thing.

So now I'm on the look out for a "newer" IACV, atleast one that is good, and I need to get an SI vacuum box so I can pass the ref becuase I have an CRX HF and running a SOHC ZC.

Back