90 Civic HB shake while braking

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

starboy869

Hi,

I have a 90 Civic HB with a sohc ZC with the DX 5spd transaxle.

I have a shake in my steering wheel when I apply the brakes above 40KM/25Miles. Below this speed the shake goes away. Heavy braking or light braking there isn't a difference in the shakes. Also I don't feel any pulsing my brake pedal.

Any ideas? Ball joint? A dead engine/trans mount? Missing wheel weight?

I have two new CV joints. One installed back in Feb (driver side) and the other one in Aug. Also I had new brake rotors and pads installed last Feb.
Also I have a new ball joint on the passenger side.

I have the same problem in my SI, I don't know what is causing the problem. It usually only occurs during heavy breaking. It always goes away after new brakes, but after a while it comes back. Only thing that I can think that it could be is you might need to new brake pads?

your tires are off balance...go get it balance...if it's balanced..then take your brake rotor out and get it resuface...

check the pivot bolt on your front calipers (it's covered by a pressed on metal cap).
I had one come loose and had this same problem (i thought it was balance, warped rotors, etc.)
Good luck.

Wow, I'm amazed at how little some people know about cars.
Sounds like your rotors are warped. Take them and get them turned. Brakes get hot. You drive thru a puddle or something while your brakes are hot and your rotors warp.
Hope this helps.

I was thinking a warped rotor myself, BUT wouldn't I feel a pulsing in my brake pedal vs my steering wheel? I've driven a car (GM) with warped rotors before and I had a pulsing in my brake pedal. Plus wouldn't the pulsing be there at all speeds instead of going away at speeds below 40Kms/hr?

I'm (hopefully) going to pull my front wheels to have a quick look tomorrow.

I forgot to mention I got my rotors cut, and the problem stopped, was warped rotors. Probably your problem.

Sometimes you feel pulsation in the pedal, sometimes you don't. I guess it all depends on how bad they are warped and the car. My stratus didn't have a rotor on the driver's side. I didn't feel any pulsation at all. I heard some terrible noise, but I never felt the pedal.
Keep us posted.

Hi,

I finally got around to pulling my front wheels.

I have a few problems in the front end.

#1. Missing wheel weight on the inside driverside tire
#2. Need a new driver side tie-rod end. small tear & leaking grease
#3. A couple new front tires.. At the wear bars.. oops

other problems..

Inter tie-rod dust boot
Leaking seals on transaxle. :(

My rotors, and brakes pads checked out ok.

i was about to say, it could be a combination of things not always just ONE thing, but it looks like you found your problem. i know that when i was having th same problem, it was warped rotors and unbalanced wheels. hope things go well.

mines been doing that since day 1, usually warped rotors, get new pads, rotors, balance your wheels cause they should be anyways, along with a good alignment.

Back