91 CRX w/ ZC Swap plus 14b turbo

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I tried searching, but I was unable to find what I was looking for. I have a 91 CRX that has had a DOHC 1.5 lt ZC engine swapped into it. In addition to this it has a Turbonetics 14b turbo. I purchased this from an individual in a non running condition. The initial problem I found with it was the engage to starter sielenoid wire was not connected to the starter sielenoid. After replacing the battery cable ends and checking a few other connections I found no reason immediately not to try to start the vehicle. I was successful in getting it started and running within the first 2 hours after rolling it into my shop off the auto transport.

I had it under control at that point, I thought. I then dropped the panel down under the drivers compartment, and oh man oh man.... it was a fire hazard like I have not seen in a long time. I started to cut the wires loose that were jumping out this and that and all that crap. Majority of this stuff was to over ride the Main Relay peice of junk relay, but I also found that majority of the staring circuit fuses were blown. Once I got power back to the Main Relay (Matsuba RZ0063) I then expected to get the fuel pump back on, to no avail. The ECU light works, however, I still do not get power to the pump to fire the car. I know I am getting fire, I know I have air, I just need fuel. I can jump out the relay from the primary feed to the injectors and shoot a little fuel up to the injectors right off the relay. Of course once the fuel I have shot up there is consumed the engine starves and dies.

So, seems simple to just wire the fuel pump direct to the injector power or use that power with a 12 volt relay to power the pump off the switch or otherwise... that just wont work. It floods the thing out. I don't know if maybe there is something wired improperly on this harness or something I missed or what, but I do know that if I could control the fuel flow on this car it would be running and I could get to other issues with it. Any help you guys could provide would be very helpful. I am not a novice to working on engines by any means and wire is what I do for a living both networking and deep past history with car audio as well as vehicle wiring. I am just in a situation where I feel like I have missed something otherwise I am looking at a bad ECU.

As a special note. Part of the jumped out wiring that was used prior to me getting this car was wired so the injector power out was wired to the fuel pump. This is one of the reasons I used that power source to supply power to the fuel pump, which will work to fire it intermitently but not good to run the car normally.

1.5 dohc ? gtfo ... greenhorn ftl

Yeah, not sure what half of that means but sure... It has a 1.5 lt dohc in it and is still running on the pgmfi. Originally it would have had a sohc but this engine was put in before I got the vehicle.

Honestly, given what you're finding- I would recommend finding all "new" untouched harnesses and start over. I wouldn't want to use any of the wiring that's in the car.

Honestly, given what you're finding- I would recommend finding all "new" untouched harnesses and start over. I wouldn't want to use any of the wiring that's in the car.

i wouldn't want to use it either. especially if you just started cutting to clean it up.

new harness, check timing and compression on the engine. start with the cheap stuff first. and next time, know whats wrong with a car before you buy it.

Ok yeah that was lame. I took someone elses word for the size. So the ZC code is for a non vtec 2nd generation 1.6 lt. I have not dealt with any other engine other than the 1.5 liter pgmfi engine that was in a old civic I had and the 94 Integra that had a 1.8 lt non vtech. I am quite familiar with the Integra as I had it for quite some time. As far as scrapping the whole wiring harness... the wiring that I cut out was part of an alarm module and the jumped out stuff off the Main Relay. It's not like you look under the dash and see hack and slash or anything.

Alright. So, I got the car running tonight. There is an ECU problem, but instead of messing with the ECU for now I am just jumping the power from the Injector power on the relay over to the power to pump on the relay. The problem appears to be the lack of ground signal from the ECU to engage the fuel pump relay. Every place I have looked for information on this so far has lead me to this as a solution. When I first started tearing out all of the excess aftermarket wire, I found the Main Relay jumped out this way in the first place. I will leave this in such a way until I can find another ECU or have time to repair this one.

I would like to thank you all for the assistance you gave me with this.... Oh wait... that's right... not a single one of you tried to help me even once with the problem I asked about. You know what.... That's cool... You guys thought it would be cool to berate me as a noob or something. Some of you guys didn't have your license when I first started rebuilding engines so wipe your nose and move on right? It's cool though this is exactly why I won't be here anymore and you all can go on and lean against your table of "experience" and hire some other mechanic to do your work for you.

Back