91 Integra with p28 and dual runner intake?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hexibot43

Hello,
I have an Acura Integra 1991 that we've swapped out the ecu. the original was a P72, and the replacement was a P28. I've been playing with Crome to get the fuel right on this engine. We've done a pretty good job of it. But we've noticed the dual runner is not being engaged. P28 wasn't set up for that. P72 was. Is there an easy way to get the dual runner working while using a P28? We're trying to stick with the P28 because it was quite easy to get all the fuel right using Crome. I am not exactly sure when the dual runner is to come on. I'm guessing only while vtec is engaged, and also dependant on how far your foot is into the pedal. solinoid, and vaccum controlled. We were hoping that just simply wiring it up the control solinoid from the same feed as the Vtec solinoid. Electrically on only when Vtec is commanded. And the vacuum half of it would take care of itself. Am I on the right track????

Thanks,

Marcello
:worthy:

ok ive been wondering about this... wats so great abou having the dual runner kik in? and i'm not sure how its done but there is a company that can chip so that the dual runner kiks in. go to ecuhacker.com if u want, jus a suggestion

Originally posted by jdm2gen03@Jun 29 2005, 03:16 AM
ok ive been wondering about this... wats so great abou having the dual runner kik in? and i'm not sure how its done but there is a company that can chip so that the dual runner kiks in. go to ecuhacker.com if u want, jus a suggestion
[post=517904]Quoted post[/post]​

Not really sure what is so great about it. It just happened that was what we had. We had a GSR, so that was what it came with. We've been toying with putting a single plane intake in. I'm guessing from experience with other cars that it allows you to have better lower rpm response as well as good airflow at higher rpm. Small runner to keep speed up when slow, and big runner when hi rpm. Or short/long runner. However you want to say it.

Mab

i believe i mention that issue on droppedcrxsi.com
Get a skunk2 i/m or generic skunk2 i/m on ebay, same thing w/o the carb sticker.
generic can be had for under $200.

Originally posted by brian11to1@Jul 16 2005, 08:52 PM
the original ECU was the p72? how so?
[post=527380]Quoted post[/post]​

:blink: :unsure:

Well, that is what it had in it when I got to working with it. It was a Dinan Ecu.

We finally got a chance to start doing some work with the car again yesterday. We disabled the vacuum pull off for the runner. I've read a lot of people saying that is not the way to do it. We also did a little work with the valve timing. The block had been decked, and the head shaved, so we recalculated TDC (verfied it). We were off 3 degrees, so fixed that. And in turn adjusted the valve timing to -2 to both cams. I swear this is a totally different vehicle. The first time I drove it when the VTEC came on the car decided to go sideways as I broke traction. I've never had that happen before. We have sticky track tires on this thing, and they had already been warmed up. Unforunately we don't have an easy to get to track anywhere near by, so we did some runs in the street. But we were just running out of room. We couldn't get into 4th gear. And then the police arrived. I'm hoping we aren't being decieved by the fact we had limited space. We then when and did a run on the dyno, and got 250 ft.lbs. of torque at the wheels in 1st gear at 5600 rpms. At that we called it quits for the day. And we'll see what happens at the track. We are pretty confident the motor won't come apart this time. The plugs looked perfect after all the driving we did. The wideband was reading 10:1 on the dyno, but on the road we never got richer than 12:1. We seem to be in the ballpark. And the runners being open don't seem to be adversely effecting anything.

MaB

ok so wats ur settup? and who does dyno runs in first gear.

Originally posted by hexibot43+Jul 17 2005, 11:04 PM-->
brian11to1
@Jul 16 2005, 08:52 PM
the original ECU was the p72? how so?
[post=527380]Quoted post[/post]​

:blink: :unsure:

Well, that is what it had in it when I got to working with it. It was a Dinan Ecu.

We finally got a chance to start doing some work with the car again yesterday. We disabled the vacuum pull off for the runner. I've read a lot of people saying that is not the way to do it. We also did a little work with the valve timing. The block had been decked, and the head shaved, so we recalculated TDC (verfied it). We were off 3 degrees, so fixed that. And in turn adjusted the valve timing to -2 to both cams. I swear this is a totally different vehicle. The first time I drove it when the VTEC came on the car decided to go sideways as I broke traction. I've never had that happen before. We have sticky track tires on this thing, and they had already been warmed up. Unforunately we don't have an easy to get to track anywhere near by, so we did some runs in the street. But we were just running out of room. We couldn't get into 4th gear. And then the police arrived. I'm hoping we aren't being decieved by the fact we had limited space. We then when and did a run on the dyno, and got 250 ft.lbs. of torque at the wheels in 1st gear at 5600 rpms. At that we called it quits for the day. And we'll see what happens at the track. We are pretty confident the motor won't come apart this time. The plugs looked perfect after all the driving we did. The wideband was reading 10:1 on the dyno, but on the road we never got richer than 12:1. We seem to be in the ballpark. And the runners being open don't seem to be adversely effecting anything.

MaB
[post=527830]Quoted post[/post]​

For a second, I thought this guy was serious. then I read this post. unless you are running a sc or a turbo, or spraying, no way are you getting 250 lb-ft of torque out of that motor. The runners being open all the time will affect your low end, i.e. you'll lose it. You aren't going to be able to use the IABs with a p28, you have to use a p72 ecu. And you = tardcart for driving dumb enough to have the police called on you. but g/l at the track.

Back