92 Civic D15b Vtec Overheating

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

|Chaz|

VIP
Hadn't driven or started my beater in a month. Drove fine the last time with no issues. Today I finally jump started it. Took it around the block and noticed it was as far HOT as it'll go. Brought it back and parked it. Haven't checked anything yet. It sits on a bit of an angle with the nose elevated slightly.

I'm thinking thermostat, coolant needs to be bled, or...?

Timing belt/water pump was done approximately 3 years/20k miles ago.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Could be a leak in the cooling system, cap is first suspect or heater core, cracked hose, loose clamp or something else. If it won't hold pressure, it won't cool properly.

Well, the car has been sitting for 6 hours. Didn't even start the car, turned on the accessory power and the gauge was reading full hot. Its definitely an electrical problem.

There must be a temperature sender sensor of some sort that's bad or shorted or chewed through.

Last edited:
I'm pretty convinced its the sensor that sends temperature info to the cluster. I can't for the life of me find any good pictures of where its at or more info about changing it. Looks to be fairly simple and cheap though. Just wish I could find more since I'm in my sweats on the couch watching Tv with the gf. If its an easy enough fix I'll do it after the Hawks game tomorrow.

^ Yep, as I recall there is meter test specs in the Jaynes or Chiltons manuals on mine. Seems like it reads low ohms when cold and increases when temperature rises. If that's correct, if it went open it would read "HOT".

A quick check would be to pull the wire off it and see if anything changes. Just checked the one on my '91 hatchback and it reads ~600 ohms cold.

Definitely check that sensor first, if its not that it could be inside the cluster. My sister has a 96 EX and the speedo went crazy one day. Tried a VSS, that didn't fix it. We ended up replacing the unit inside the cluster and that solved the problem.

If it comes to that, finding just the temperature side of it could be tricky. It'd probably be best to just pick up a known working cluster at that point and swap it over.

Just wondering if you were able to fix your problem? Was it a sensor? I had a similar issue but it turned out to be a blown head gasket. I noticed when my car was over heading that my overfill on my radiator was almost filled. Also when I opened the cap to my radiator (when it cooled downed) that I could not see the radiator fluid. I originally tried the basic stuff, flush the radiator and replace the thermostat but that did not work. I learned the hard way not to take it to a dealership (I just moved at the time and didn't know any mechanics). A friend back home recommended that I find a radiator shop and bring in my car. I found one and they were able to diagnose the problem within an hour. So if you haven't figured out the issue, I would recommend finding a radiator shop in the area.

Ended up being the temperature sender. Took all of five minutes to fix. Was like $20.

Back