95 civic b18b swap Starting problems

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Mild95Eg

hi i have a 95 eg auto with a b18b auto and i have the motor in and hooked up but it just wont start. it just cranks and wont fire. i checked theres fuel and spark and the timing is good. what could this be?

Did you have fuel and spark when you first attempted to crank it? If you had fuel and no spark at first you may have washed out the cylinders with fuel. (flooded) If the engine is flooded remove all 4 spark plugs, remove fuel pump relay, and turn over engine several times to exhaust fuel from cylinders. Reinstall spark plugs, and and relay and attempt to crank. If this does not work, check your compression and see if you have good numbers across all 4 cylinders. (this is based on the statement that you have verified timing, spark and fuel)

Did you have fuel and spark when you first attempted to crank it? If you had fuel and no spark at first you may have washed out the cylinders with fuel. (flooded) If the engine is flooded remove all 4 spark plugs, remove fuel pump relay, and turn over engine several times to exhaust fuel from cylinders. Reinstall spark plugs, and and relay and attempt to crank. If this does not work, check your compression and see if you have good numbers across all 4 cylinders. (this is based on the statement that you have verified timing, spark and fuel)

Agree. If this doesnt work, Make sure you have good fuel pressure. If you dont, its not going to run either.

From there, its to spark, and thats self explainitory, just dont use your tounge to check it.

Last, check to make sure your timing belt didnt jump a tooth or two. This also will be a cranking nostart.

i forgot to mention it was running before i pulled it out of the integra and put it in the civic. but ill try pulling plugs and fuel pump relay and see what happens

hey i tried pulling plugs and relay didnt work so i checked compression and its good. so im stumped i have no clue i tried everything.:( Could it be ignition timing? and can i check that with out it running?

hey if no luck yet make sure all ground cables are hooked up i say that cus it happened to me b4. also i am new to the whole forum thing, can u guys tell me how i start a new post?

There is a ground for the ecu on the thermostat... But it really sounds like the spark plug wires are not in the right order...

the most simple things are always overlooked. have tried jumping it?

If you have spark, fuel, and compression it should at least do something. What were your compression readings?

I do not understand how it could be a ground problem if it has been verified that there is spark and fuel. check it anyway.

Reason I mentioned flooding earlier is because I had a car at work that came in with a bad coil. The owner flooded it out real bad before bringing it to the dealer. I put a new coil on it and turned it over what seemed like forever before it even fired once. I thought I misdiagnosed it. annother tech at the dealer said keep turning it over untill it starts or the starter burns up. It started ater cranking it for over a minute. smoked like hell but was fine after warming up. sounded like it had not compression before it started ie washed out cylinders

Last edited:
yea but if they werent in the right order it would at least start and just run like crap

Not true at all depending on which way they are hooked up it will just crank and crank... And the ground on the thermostat does run through the tower plugs it has about 6 black wires on it just make sure it has a clean connection..

yea but if they werent in the right order it would at least start and just run like crap

not true! i had a similar problem.. check them 3 more times! when i screwed up it cranked and didnt give a pop or stutter! NOTHING AT ALL!

Not true at all depending on which way they are hooked up it will just crank and crank... And the ground on the thermostat does run through the tower plugs it has about 6 black wires on it just make sure it has a clean connection..

/ThumbsUp

well i triple checked the plug wires all good and cleaned the ecu grounds and cranked it for a while still nothing

well i triple checked plug wires there good and cleaned the ecu grounds and cranked it for a while abd still nothing

Back