96 dx-- what works?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

neildaigle09

Well long story short, my car was stolen adn recovered with a blown head gasket. Its a 96 civic with d16y7. I am on a REALLY tight budget, so I need the cheapest possible engine that will go in with no problem. So what will fit with no mods? any help would be appreciated.... thanks.

CHEAPPPP

:confused::confused:

For cost effective, replace the head gasket. Or just replace it with another D16Y7. Anything else will require additional parts--ecu, wires, mounts, etc.

I called the guy that usually works on my car, and he said it will be around 800 or 900 for the head gasket! Is it just me, or does that sound a little high?

To have it done at a shop that sounds about right. Having the head machined is usually around $300-$400 alone. And then you have the labor + misc stuff. I'm sure it'll be quite a few hours

Okay I can have a d16y7 shipped to my house for $700-$850(depending where I get it) and have someone put it in for $200. So If I just order the d16y7, then will I need anything besides the motor? thanks, neil

you can get a head gasket cheap. and to get my head done it would have cost me 25 bucks. don't let shops jerk you around. if you shop around and haggle a bit you could get you engine fixed way cheaper. that is if its only the head gasket.

get a haynes manual, buy the gasket, and new head studs, and go have your head resurfaced. All said and done it will cost you around $350 and that is buying the manual, head studs, gasket, and resurfacing your head everything a shop would do for half the price. Get your hands dirty and learn something bro.

get a haynes manual, buy the gasket, and new head studs, and go have your head resurfaced. All said and done it will cost you around $350 and that is buying the manual, head studs, gasket, and resurfacing your head everything a shop would do for half the price. Get your hands dirty and learn something bro.

fucking wurd!

Would the manuel be that into detail to where I would be able to do it? And could I just buy a used head off of ebay and not have to worry about having it shaved? thanks, neil

btw- it says that this motor is a direct replacement for the d16y7, is this just bolt and play too? ( I was kinda of leaning to spend a few extra hundred and get the engine beings how I plan on sellin as soooooon as its put back together and it would be easier to sell and raise the price a little.)

eBay Motors: 96-2000 HONDA CIVIC D15 JDM ENGINE for D16Y7 (item 270355697002 end time Mar-19-09 05:18:18 PDT)

The manual will provide you with step-by-step instruction on how to disassemble, reassemble, and make sure everything is correct. It is well worth the $30 price tag.

As for the head, your best bet is to resurface your own, or to get one for cheap and resurface it anyway. Don't take on someone else's headache. It's better safe than sorry, so do everything the right way first and you will save yourself a bunch of time and money.

As for the other motor that you can get, that might be the easiest thing to do. Since you already have that motor, you have all the accessories you would need, and you would have spare parts in the event something needed replaced. It will also give you a platform to work on while outside of the car. You could build it up, or take it apart and learn all about the motor and how it works. Having a spare motor around isn't always a bad thing.

Good luck with your endeavor.

ok man thanks, Ill just order the d15 on ebay. It will be $630 shipped to my house which isn't bad. Do you think that will be much slower than the y7?

D15? Or did you mean D16?

If you put anything other than an OBD2 motor in there, you are going backwards. If it wasn't a typo and you are ordering a D15, you are going to need more stuff than you have now. D15B7 was the OBD1 motor in the 92-95 civics. 96+ Civics came with either the D16Y7 or D16Y8 for the DX, LX, and EX models. These motors are OBD2.

Make sure you know what you are buying before you pay money. It would suck if you bought the wrong thing and couldn't use it or you needed to spend more money on a swap than was really needed, especially if money is tight.

so what else will I need to order with the motor in the link above? I plan order a motor as soon as I get this straight so any help is greatly appreciated! thanks, neil

FUCK THAT! dont ever go from a d16 to a d15. d15s suck ass.

but it doesnt matter because im not keeping it for myself, its going for sale as soon as the engine is complete. Im just looking for cheapest way. so what will I need for put in the motor from the link?

You can find a D16Y7 for cheaper than that.

In case you are still a little wet behind the ears, what that link is ultimately saying is that all you get is the head and block. Nothing is guaranteed, so it needs to be replaced, and everything from your old motor (intake manifold, exhaust manifold, altenator, etc.) all needs to be swapped over. IF you are going to pay $600+ for a motor, you can find one that is in running condition for cheaper and save yourself some time and money. Especially if you are just going to put a For Sale sign on it right after.

My .02.

ok thanks for pointin that out to me :cool:. I have been looking and looking for a d16y7 everyyyydayyyyy and cant seem to find one anywhere??

Back