96 Gsr Upgrade ideas?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

JhonaTan R!

What's up everyone! So I have a 1996 Inte Gsr almost completely stock besides Dc Headers and exhaust pipe. What upgrades can I do to my baby to make it faster without swapping? Gracias

Welcome to Hondaswap ! and there are many many upgrades you can do to the car without motorswapping and the gsr engine is a great one, same note most your regular bolt-on stuff has little to 0 performance gain other than sound ex Intake/header/exhaust (within moderation cheaper stuff can actually lose power over oem) , if you really want to do it id recommend maybe power adders ex: turbo/supercharger/cams but would also need the supporting mods , post some pics up of your ride man !

Welcome to Hondaswap ! and there are many many upgrades you can do to the car without motorswapping and the gsr engine is a great one, same note most your regular bolt-on stuff has little to 0 performance gain other than sound ex Intake/header/exhaust (within moderation cheaper stuff can actually lose power over oem) , if you really want to do it id recommend maybe power adders ex: turbo/supercharger/cams but would also need the supporting mods , post some pics up of your ride man !

Thanks bro just found out about this site today! Cool I'll keep that in mind. What are the first 6 upgrades you'd do to it if you had it? So far my mechanic has been taking his sweet time to fix my drive axels and clutch so the clutch I'm installing is a street performance clutch and heavy duty flywheel from racinglab.com. I'll post pics of it when it's fixed and back in my hands

IMG_0073.JPG

looks like a sweet ride, what happened to it ? car appears to be modified some already, lol and again how much money you want to invest and power goals go a long way on what you should do , if I was to have a gsr and wasnt my daily and I was going to modify it for power without swapping I wouldnt touch a single thing on the car and go a nice turbo setup on low boost and a quality tune and supporting mods, but 5 first cheap mods that has nice performance gain in a N/A stockish honda is always I/H/E , if shocks are good then like 1.5-2 inch lowering springs or coilover sleeves if blown then do coilovers while at it , short throw shifter, a actual wheel/tire combo can make a huge difference, a new set of STOCK rotors with a nice quality performance pad (avoid 100% slotted/cross drilled fad you lose surface area and have cheese graders for brake pads) , I mean really its all about how your power goals and how much you want to spend, 200 whp is more than plenty for streeting

looks like a sweet ride, what happened to it ? car appears to be modified some already, lol and again how much money you want to invest and power goals go a long way on what you should do , if I was to have a gsr and wasnt my daily and I was going to modify it for power without swapping I wouldnt touch a single thing on the car and go a nice turbo setup on low boost and a quality tune and supporting mods, but 5 first cheap mods that has nice performance gain in a N/A stockish honda is always I/H/E , if shocks are good then like 1.5-2 inch lowering springs or coilover sleeves if blown then do coilovers while at it , short throw shifter, a actual wheel/tire combo can make a huge difference, a new set of STOCK rotors with a nice quality performance pad (avoid 100% slotted/cross drilled fad you lose surface area and have cheese graders for brake pads) , I mean really its all about how your power goals and how much you want to spend, 200 whp is more than plenty for streeting

I was driving at 40mph and smacked a pothole I didn't see thanks to rain! So my axels popped out of their socket so I guess the set up below opened? Idk how to explain like my mechanic. But my driver side tire&rim got totaled in the process and my rims got scratched..all other 3. The only mods my car has are cheap coilovers from previous owner, I bought a better wheel/tire setup, h/e, an eBay front lip, and aftermarket halo light bulbs. Hey really appreciate the tips man. I actually want to use my car for circuit racing more than street/drag racing so yeah I guess I don't need a shitload of hp but a few mods would be nice. The next thing I'd really like to change is my coilovers to D2 racing co's and skunk damper kit and control arms.

if you are at all interested in any kind of road course/autox use then get a rule book and find out what mods will put you in what class or are simply not allowed

first thing you are going to want/need to do is get the car back to good running condition

if you are really looking to get in to road course or autox then start off stock (or as close to stock as you can be) and learn to drive the car
the car will then tell you what it needs (hint: its not power)

get a good suspension on it
get a good OEM rotor and a high performance brake pad
get a light set of wheels and a rather sticky tire

that is about all you really should or at all need to do starting out
get consistent
get smooth
learn to drive the car fast
dont use added power as a crutch

ive watched a guy dominate autox with an ls integra with an intake, some mild suspension, and a decent rim/tire

ive watched a guy dominate autox with an ls integra with an intake, some mild suspension, and a decent rim/tire
preach it , when I had the ST at AMP at the track event in the Auto X I got spanked by a 91 crx DX with a cone filter on the stock intake and the interior removed and not very expensive ground control coilovers and a meaty wheel/tire combo and very consistent driving, whopping like 95-100 hp in 1991 lol shit prob had 200k on it

most definitely get the rule book first.

I would take E's list a little backwards...
wheels + tires first, as stock sizes, but better/lighter and not r-compounds will still keep you in stock class.
then pads/rotors, again with oem like replacements also counting towards stock class
then, suspension, which may move you into a 'modified' or 'prepared' class, depending on the body.

Thanks for the advise fellas compared to my last tire set up which consisted stretched tires over 16" rims( a reason as to why the pothole fucked up my car besides the short height) I put same sized rims but with a thicker tire and oh boy did I feel the difference. I will look into online manuals and manual/requirements for the thunderhill racetrack. Also besides a new suspension I'll be looking into a damper kit first because it's cheaper and I noticed my tires were wearing out on the inside before I raised it. @dilbeckskate you have a point it's not always about the car or what's underneath the hood but more of who's behind the wheel, so hope to be hitting the track within 3 months to start getting practice! Btw my car is finally fixed and I'll be picking it up after work so y'all can expect more pics

I mean from what you were saying it could be already modified out of specs for class racing, also the tire wear will be from camber not dampers

lol just clean it really well and leave it alone, is the check engine light on ?

My mechanic is actually going to give it a deep clean for me this Saturday for free lol yeah it is. It came on when I was running low on oil then I changed it but it stayed on idk what else it might be my car sounds fine

Back