97 ek gsr swap issue

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

GSRPOWER

I swapped a ob1 gsr in a 97 ek. All has been well up until yesterday. I was cleaning some stuff up under the hood nothing major. My freind came over to check it out and i cracked in up and started revving it using he throttle cable. I noticed when i quickly revved the car it would buck and pop really bad (my guess misfire?) So we took it down the road. If i tried to floor it it would just start popping real bad and not go anywhere, but if i eased into the gas it would carry through out the rpm range with no problems. Also the day before my car ran awesome. I have itr cams and a skunk 2 mani so VTECH is very noticable, but not anymore. I replaced spark plugs and cap and rotor. I think it may be the dizzy (I sure hope not). I took it all apart checked it out everything looked to be ok. ecu is p05 chipped on a itr base map (board looked good, not burned up). Any other sensor that could cause this? It also started today running even worse. check engine light would come on after a few minutes of driving. When i come to complete stop it would idle loop as in it would go up and down from 300-1000. But my popping problem would go away which was very odd? If any of you have any ideas of what i should check that would be great. Im new to this forum so please due take it easy on me. :) Thank you!

sounds like it could be the distributor. i would certainly see what the CEL light is, that could help.

sounds like it could be the distributor. i would certainly see what the CEL light is, that could help.

Yeah im guessing its the distributor as well. Oil was leaking through the bottom.I opened it up everything looked fairly new. I found one on ebay for 89.99 better then paying 230 at advance. It sucks that i dont have anything to check the obd1 codes. I have a obd2 reader thought which doesn't help :(. If my timing belt jumped a tooth would it cause this problem or would it pop at idle as well?

Seems like some sort of limp mode. Please stop theorizing what might be and check the engine code(s). Since it ran fine and now there's a code to check.....please make this your first step......always.

In terms of distributors and anything else in life....you get what you pay for so be careful.

Well i wasn't theorizing i was getting ideas of what could cause my problem. It was in limp mode caused by my TPS. I replaced the TPS but now it still throws a CEL code 7 which is the TPS. The limp mode went away and now it revs fine (with no vtech). Ill try cleaning the throttle body and see if that helps the TPS problem.

Is the TPS on there now compatible?

Did you use a multimeter when you adjusted the new TPS?

Key in "on" position (motor not running):

Closed throttle (red wire) 0.5v Wide open throttle 4.5v.
Green is ground (check continuity for trouble shooting)
Yellow should always be a constant that reads 5v (with key in "on" position)

And you were asking for help and you were theorizing possible problems without any reference to you checking these codes. Believe me.....you are far from the first to come here for help and not refer to any engine codes being checked. Many guys are so tired of a variety of ill prepared quieries that they do not help any further.

I googled this for you too. Its got some good info and pictures as it applies to TPS checks/installation/etc.

Calibrating Throttle Position Sensor (JDM B18C *Sir-G spec)

Is the TPS on there now compatible?

Did you use a multimeter when you adjusted the new TPS?

Key in "on" position (motor not running):

Closed throttle (red wire) 0.5v Wide open throttle 4.5v.
Green is ground (check continuity for trouble shooting)
Yellow should always be a constant that reads 5v (with key in "on" position)

And you were asking for help and you were theorizing possible problems without any reference to you checking these codes. Believe me.....you are far from the first to come here for help and not refer to any engine codes being checked. Many guys are so tired of a variety of ill prepared quieries that they do not help any further.

I googled this for you too. Its got some good info and pictures as it applies to TPS checks/installation/etc.

Calibrating Throttle Position Sensor (JDM B18C *Sir-G spec)

Thank you for the information sir. I did all that was listed. The TPS was new i put it on based on the diagram and calibrated to specs. Once i did this i reset the ecu and turned it back on. No check engine light at all. I drove it down the road but only to find out its back in limp mode. Drove it a little further check engine light came on again throwing code 7. I dont have a obd1 reader im using the jumper harness by short circuiting it and seeing how many times the CEL blinks. Maybe im wrong in doing it this way? So being fed up i just unbolted the TPS and kept it plugged in. No more limp mode but i have the CEL and no VTEC which im sure wouldnt engage because the CEL for the TPS. Kinda confused on what i need to do next. Maybe a new ecu ? Im using a chipped p05 vie jumper harness on a ITR base map.

Any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you for your time.

So all the wiring off the TPS reads correctly on a multimeter?

I don't have a Bseries anymore and can't remember many of the plugs on the engine harness. But double check to see if the MAP and TPS plugs got switched. (doubt it)

Long flash = 10's
Short flash = 1's

Make sure there isn't an irregular amount of time between these flashes. May be more than one code.

I don't think it's the ECU but you could try another one (if you have access) and/or take the cover off the ECU and look for burnt damage.

So all the wiring off the TPS reads correctly on a multimeter?

I don't have a Bseries anymore and can't remember many of the plugs on the engine harness. But double check to see if the MAP and TPS plugs got switched. (doubt it)

Long flash = 10's
Short flash = 1's

Make sure there isn't an irregular amount of time between these flashes. May be more than one code.

I don't think it's the ECU but you could try another one (if you have access) and/or take the cover off the ECU and look for burnt damage.

Well check engine light comes on for a few seconds then blinks 7 times really fast.. So im confused on if that is TPS or VSS. I dont think the VSS would cause limp mode ? I pulled motor today made sure all wiring was clean and connected. all grounds were connected as well. Ill try to take a video of it while i do the jumper connection maybe im counting the light wrong which ive never done before so i may be wrong on what code it is.

That sounds like code 7. Also...double check that it is the correct TPS. Did you buy it from Honda?

Back