97 honda civic h22 swap overheating issues

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

surfinkyh22

ok so here is my set up. I have a 97 honda civic with a h22 out of a 01 prelude i got from my friend. the car ran fine for the past 3 weeks. it had a p72 0bd2 computer the car ran great with it just lagged and hesitated. well today i drove it 70 miles round trip highway and city traffic to pick up a socket and chipped p28 that has h22 base maps and 02 and egr delete. car ran fine the hole way. But once i got home and installed the p28 I went for a test drive. Car ran awesome vtec kicked in great everything...... But when i got back and let the car idle it started overheating so i went driving again just crusing around town and it cooled off soon as i started driving but once i got back it started heating up again.. i have a stock radiator with a slim fan I never had an overheating issue and my friend never had one either with the p72 or the other chipped computer he ran... Is it possible that the chip is wrong or they didnt set it up right as far as i know its mostly common mechanicals with the fan switch and all that PLEASE HELP WITH ALL ADVICE THIS IS MY DAILY I NEED A STARTING POINT CUZ IM STUMPED

Make sure the fan is still turning on. If it only heats up at idle and starts to cool down once you drive it....the fan may not be coming on.

On a cold start....have the radiator cap off and sit with the car while it runs. Patiently wait for the thermo to open and fan to turn on. See if it needs coolant and watch (inside the radiator) for coolant to transfer and make sure your thermo is opening AND your fan turns on. This may take 20-35 minutes. Probably 15 minutes in the warmer months.

Try that stuff and get back to us.

ok so i just got done running your test everything is working right. car warms up thermostate opens fan kicks on and you can see coolant circulating. thermostate closes fan goes off but after a a couple times thermostate stays open and the fan keeps running.. like i said it never did this with the 0bd2 gsr computer but now i have a socket and chipped p28 with the h22 base maps its heating up. If I plug the p72 back in it stops having this problem is there something I am suppose to do when changing computers or could it be something wrong with the chip If anyone has had a problem like this please let me know what fixed it

ok so i just put the gsr computer back in my car and the fan kicked on and off 3 times and car stayed at operating temp. then the fan kicked on a 4th time and did not kick off.. the thing is though with the gsr computer while the fan is staying on the temp gage does not go above normal so if it was a already exicting problem i would not have known, im going to cchange the thermostate and burb the coolant system and see if it fixes it if not im going to look into a new radiator and fan... i know people say they run stock rads and fans with no problems thats just what gets me this h22 is stock no mods and when i switch computers its heating up im lost feel free to give imput and as i figure the problem out i will keep posting for anyone who comes across this problem

Seems weird. But....it may have something to do with the settings on that chipped P28....although I cannot think of anything that would be deleted on your program.

Please verify that you can get the car (w/chipped P28) cooled down every time when you start to drive it and get air on th radiator.

ok so while the car is at idle and begains to heat up the fan comes on and off as suppose to but then the fan comes on and stays on and the temp gage rises. Soon as I start driving yes the car cools down but once back at idle it heats up. Everything is working and I just installed a brand new thermostate--didnt fix problem-- I am starting to think the coolant is not spending enough time in the rad to get cool or the slim fan i got is not good enough. the only thing is with the grs computer the fan will stay running once hot but the gage will not move above normal with the chipped p28 it just keeps rising

i just read a different forum and the guy explains my problem with my set up says it will run fine but with the stock rad its getting heat soaked it makes sence civics come stock with the smallest radiators in the world lol so thats my next step getting a bigger rad prob just gonna junk yard it to be honest but ill post pics after i get a new rad and fans and also let everyone know if it fixed the problem and here is the link to the other forum
Civic EG :: View topic - My Personal H22 Write-up (Spoon-feeding inside)

i also just realized my stock rad has the smallest slim fan on it that they make lol

del sol VTEC dual core radiator should work
or you can go with an aftermarket triple core

Hey, guys, this is totally random to post on this thread but I was wondering if someone could help me out. I'm a newbie and I'm getting ready to do a swap on my 97 civic hatch. I have a type R bottom end but I can't seem to find any diagrams or schematics of any sort on it. Could someone send me some?

thanks im going hunting for a new one at the junk yard this week im also going to get a new fan and i will post results after this but i will keep checking this thred to see what anyone else thinks

Hey, guys, this is totally random to post on this thread but I was wondering if someone could help me out. I'm a newbie and I'm getting ready to do a swap on my 97 civic hatch. I have a type R bottom end but I can't seem to find any diagrams or schematics of any sort on it. Could someone send me some?

My suggestion is to find a manual or such for the type r your swapping over. Durive from it.

Back