98 civic coupe ex (vtec) D15b Auto

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

RedMan412

My 98 Civic Coupe Engine was changed out to a D15 OBD2-3 stage Vtec-
The Original tranny with D16y8 ECU & Wiring Harness were used . The Vtec Solonoid from Y8 had to been used be cause it's not a dual solonoid clearly from the looks of it . The Engine will not rev over 5300 rpms or so and is very unefficent and short of power.So i took off the Solonoid to clean the screen which was not dirty eliminating that fact it being clogged which is when i noticed just being a single solo valve. Very few instances (with the check engine light not present) would iat 5300 rpms the valve make a hissing noise -engage- and an great amount of power was noticed compared to previously and after you let off -back to shitty performance it was . I became aware i should have used the JDM wiring harness after the fact of purchasing motor being too late that the swap was already done.
This is not common around my area nor the knowledge of why im experiencing my problem . my solution is change out the wire harness , change high solo to dual solo and ensure all are engaging . i should be able to use original ecu but i do have the jdm auto Ecu on hand if needed. ANY SUGGESTIONS TO HELP SOLVE THIS PROBLEM ! THANKS ALOT

If this is indeed the 3 stage vtec you will need the dual solenoid, this isn't a single stage vtec like the y8. You need to need to run some sort of relay to power the second stage solenoid and than the third stage will power via the y8 ecu. Let me know how you figure it out as I am researching this and have bookmarked a couple of pages on how people actually did it.

One person said he rather wire both of them together, have vtec engage and a lower rpm, another person used a vacuum valved actuator to engage 2 stage vtec and used the y8 vtec engagement point for third, some people were able to tune an ecu for both but this is manual transmission.

Back