98 Civic DX shut off and wont start back up... HELP!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

davefisher47250

1998 Honda Civic DX with 92,379 original miles on it. I was driving it to work yesterday and about a mile from my office it shut itself off, just like it would if it had run out of fuel. I coasted to the side of the road and tried to restart the car, and all it would do is crank. (Again just like it would if it were out of fuel). Make a long story short, I had it towed to my office. I work for a trucking agency and we have a full shop on site with 5 ASE Certified Mechanics. We however only have diagnostic equipment for Peterbilts, Freightliners, and Internationals. All 5 of the mechanics looked at the car, each looking for a different problem. We checked and replaced the fuel filter. No go. We checked the fuel pump. It was working fine. We checked to make sure there was in fact fuel in the tank (maybe the gauge was broken). It has half a tank. We checked all the plugs and wires to make sure they were all tight. We checked to make sure the valves were moving as I tried to start the car (timing belt). We pulled the distributor cap off. Aside from a few small cracks (I was told that they wouldnt cause the car to not run, but I should replace the cap regardless), there were no issues there. We did NOT check to see if I had spark at the plugs...

Does anybody have any suggestions or should I find some Honda diagnostic software?

Thank!!

-Dave

well are there any check lights staying on ? and if the timing belt is good, check for spark if there is no spark get a new distributor with cap

No lights are on... I'll check to see if I have spark here in a bit. Im having the car towed to a mechanic for diagnostics... we'll see if he can pin point the issue.

if you have a second key, try it. the chip in yours might have gone bad...

oh, sorry... was it in the integra that they had the immobilizer for 98 then?

Back