98 civic lx revs to about 2000 rpms then drops back down

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

bwerth

98 civic lx revs to about 2000 rpms then drops back down then back up again and well you get the point. Then after i drive it somewhere and shut it off it don't want to start and I have to hold the gas petal to the floor and crank it and it will slowly get runnung again for a little bit. Driving down the road I make it less than a ,ile down the road and she stalls again. So I start her the same way and she will finally make it home. I have replaced the timing belt, the distributor, the Idle air control valve, about to do the Throttle positioning sensor next.
So 2 questions on this, first, am I doing the right things so far and second, How can I fix my car and have her running like new again.

I am taking it to Advance Auto tomorrow to have them pull up the codes. I will put them up here as soon as I get them.

P0505
Idle air control system
P0301
Cyl.1 Misfire
P0302
Cyl.2 Misfire
P0303
Cyl.3 Misfire
P0304
Cyl.4 Misfire
P0300
Random multi cyl. misfore
P1399
Misfire in any cyl.

Just had a new add on too. When I changed the idle air control valve there was anti freeze in the line and I am guessing it wasn't supposed to be there because I am pretty sure that is a vacuum line.

hve you checked the head gasket i had this problem in a 95 civic and my friend had this problem when his rings went have you done a oil pressure test and checked that the cylanders werent holding pressure from the bottom end?

Being a disabled vet I have to wait until the first to get paid so I can tke it in to have it tested. I am just trying to see what it could be to see if its something I can fix. Last time I checked before timing belt was replaced they told me that the head gasket was good.

A head gasket wouldn't do this there would be other issues such as oil in coolant visa versa... Sounds to me like you may have a bad trotle body gasket or not tightened up all the way, also if you didn't replace the gaskets when u replaced the parts air could be sneaking passed the old worn out gasket and causing this issue, I would check them... maybe use some sylicone gasket to see if it fixes it... just some ideas

I was going through the chiltons book I have and it shows that coolant does pass through the idle air control valve, so I was wrong about that one. I went to put anti freeze in the reservoire recovery tank and noticed there is oil in there so guess that confirms at least a head gasket issue. The thing I am wondering is, if I put the distributor on incorrectly could it cause the running issues or would it not start if it was on wrong or in the improper position.

A wrong dizzy would ether not start the car or it would and run like crap... You could check the timing, tho if you have a head gasket issue its not worth checking timing just replace the head gasket and then reset ya timing once u reinstall the head and T belt

Back