99-00 civic Si cluster swap into EF How To (pics)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

How to install a 99-00 civic Si EM1 Cluster in your EF Civic​

fa4354e6.jpg

I installed it in my 91 CRX si. All the wiring is done for a 90-91 Crx. The wiring is the same for 90-91 civic hatches. The fitment may be a little different in hatches but should work. I am getting mixed feedback about the wiring for 88-89 models, I am not 100% positive if the wiring is the same but I will have it figured out shortly and will add the 88-89 wiring when finished.

OK 88-89 wiring is added. The wire colors are the same but the pin placements are different. I added clip pictures and a chart for the 88-89 crx/civics. Another thing you will have to change is the dimmer switch clip for the 90-91 cluster hood. Just swap the 88-89 clip with the 90-91 clip. The wire colors are the same so just match up the wires and it will work

Here is a list of things needed to complete the swap.

Tools:

10mm socket ( to unbolt speedo)
Philips head screw driver
wire cutters
soldering iron
electrical tape

Items needed:

96-00 Civic cluster Si, EX, DX, HX whichever you want to use. I chose the Si because it looks cool.
Cluster clips that plug into the civic cluster. With some wire attached the more the better
Any electronic speedo from 92 and up civic or 94 and up integra.
Clip that plugs on top of the speedo also with some wire

The only things needed to be modified to fit the cluster into the dash where the metal tabs inside the cluster bowl. Just unscrew them and there is plenty of room. As far as bolting it down it is in pretty tight and takes some shifting to get the cover over the cluster but when it is in it is tight. I have been driving the car for a few weeks now and it didn't vibrate or shift in any way. If you wanted to screw it in you could drill some holes into the roof of the gauge cover and put screws through it into the tabs on the civic cluster but it isn't necessary.

fa2c39fe.jpg

fa2c39c2.jpg

Here is the wiring. The blue clips are for the civic and the grey are the crx. You need to wire in the blue clips in place of the grey ones. The red X's mean the wire isn't used. 11 of the 17 wires match up in color and have the same function. Look at the last chart and you will see what I mean.

fa348d5f.jpg

fa348bf1.jpg

fa2e8bb9.jpg

fa2e8b4f.jpg

88-89 clips

f9b045bc.jpg

f9b045c4.jpg

90-91 wiring color chart

fa2e8ac9.jpg

88-89 wiring color chart

f9b045a5.jpg

VSS installation:

Pull the cover up over the cable on the VSS then push the retaining clip off of the cable and pull the cable out of the Vss. Then take the 10mm socket and your ratchet and unbolt the cable driven Vss from the tranny. I also used 3/8 15" extension and a swivel head to get the 10mm bolt out.

f9e74b82.jpg

f9e74bad.jpg

Here is the cable driven Vss from my crx (note I have a b16 and your cable Vss may look different.

f9e74bd2.jpg

This is a pic of a 99 civic Vss I stole from my sisters car for picture purposes. This Vss will work fine.

f9e74c08.jpg

here is a pic of the VSS I used. The black part is from a 99 integra and the bottom part is from a 92 civic Si. These 2 parts work fine together. I ordered the metal piece from honda for $39 and the black piece used for $35. I stole the gear out of my sisters civic and it works with the teg/civic combo Vss I used. I also ordered new O-ring seals for the VSS just to be on the safe side. Those where about $5 total.

f9e74c45.jpg

This is the connector you will need that plugs onto the electronic Vss. I didn't have one So I just plugged wires directly onto the VSS and sealed them up.

f9e74b56.jpg

Next just slip the electronic VSS into the tranny and bolt up with the 10mm bolt. Now here is the wiring, I don't have pics of the prosses but it is easy to understand. There are 3 wires coming out of the VSS plug. Power, signal and ground. The power wire you have to run to a switched power source, pin B4 and A15 on the civic clips will work fine. The ground wire you just have to ground, splice it into an existing ground or create a new one either will work. The signal wire has to be split into 2. Run one signal into the back of the cluster in pin A11, The other into Pin B16 on the ECU. You split the signal because both the cluster and Ecu need the Vehicle speed signal.

Here are some pics of it installed and working. Sorry the night pic didn't come out very well but you get the idea.

fa2c3944.jpg

fa2c3902.jpg

If you have any questions about this swap just ask I will help out in any way possible. Also I don't take any responsibility for any damages that maybe caused by this swap.

You can also use a CRV cluster instead of the civic one if you would like to. The wiring is the same and the civic clips pop right into the CRV cluster.

f9e0aa59.jpg

fa4354e6.jpg

-James-

Last edited by a moderator:
You can also swap in a GSR cluster in to the EF-ED's!

But very nice write up!!!

88 crx dx PINOUTS NOT THE SAME!!!

Just thought I'd let you know, that your photos of the 88-89 clips may match for an SI, but my DX clips are not the same. I'll try to post a photo of mine, but I can tell you for sure that AFTER I cut them, I realized that the wire colors do not match your photos, nor do the pin placements.

lol, it's always something with cars. guess its time to dust off the haynes manual for wire diagrams. When I'm finished I'll post photos of the pinouts for DX.

great, my haynes manual only includes wiring diagrams for models up to 87. anyone have any diagrams? or links to?

haha. I think I found some diagrams, FSM 88-90. I'll keep this thread updated on what I find.

Uh...you guys realize this thread is three years old right??

The original poster probably isn't around anymore...

wow, just noticed that. Well then I'll say that before anyone tries this, make sure your 88 clips have the same pinouts and wire colors as the pictures james posted. Because my 88 dx clips are NOT THE SAME.

little help

so if I have a b18 from a 92 teg, the vss from that would work and I wouldn't need to get a new one correct?

fa4354e6.jpg

Well here is a write up on how to install a 99-00 civic Si cluster in your EF. I installed it in my 91 CRX si. All the wiring is done for a 90-91 Crx. The wiring is the same for 90-91 civic hatches. The fitment may be a little different in hatches but should work. I am getting mixed feedback about the wiring for 88-89 models, I am not 100% positive if the wiring is the same but I will have it figured out shortley and will add the 88-89 wiring when finished.

OK 88-89 wiring is added. The wire colors are the same but the pin placements are different. I added clip pictures and a chart for the 88-89 crx/civics. Another thing you will have to change is the dimmer switch clip for the 90-91 cluster hood. Just swap the 88-89 clip with the 90-91 clip. The wire colors are the same so just match up the wires and it will work

Here is a list of things needed to comlete the swap.

Tools:

10mm socket ( to unbolt speedo)
philips head screw driver
wire cutters
soldering iron
electrical tape

Items needed:

96-00 Civic cluster Si, EX, DX, HX whichever you want to use. I chose the Si because it looks cool.
Cluster clips that plug into the civic cluster. With some wire attached the more the better
Any electronic speedo from 92 and up civic or 94 and up integra.
Clip that plugs ontop of the speedo also with some wire

The only things needed to be modified to fit the cluster into the dash where the metal tabs inside the cluster bowl. Just unscrew them and there is plenty of room. As far as bolting it down it is in pretty tight and takes some shifting to get the cover over the cluster but when it is in it is tight. I have been driving the car for a few weeks now and it didn't vibrate or shift in any way. If you wanted to screw it in you could drill some holes into the roof of the gauge cover and put screws through it into the tabs on the civic clusterbut it isnt nessacary.

fa2c39fe.jpg

fa2c39c2.jpg

Here is the wiring. The blue clips are for the civic and the grey are the crx. You need to wire in the blue clips in place of the grey ones. The red X's mean the wire isnt used. 11 of the 17 wires match up in color and have the same function. Look at the last chart and you will see what I mean.

fa348d5f.jpg

fa348bf1.jpg

fa2e8bb9.jpg

fa2e8b4f.jpg

88-89 clips

f9b045bc.jpg

f9b045c4.jpg

90-91 wiring color chart

fa2e8ac9.jpg

88-89 wiring color chart

f9b045a5.jpg

VSS installation:

Pull the cover up over the cable on the VSS then push the retaining clip off of the cable and pull the cable out of the Vss. Then take the 10mm socket and your rachet and unbolt the cable driven Vss from the tranny. I also used 3/8 15" extension and a swivel head to get the 10mm bolt out.

f9e74b82.jpg

f9e74bad.jpg

Here is the cable driven Vss from my crx (note I have a b16 and your cable Vss may look different.

f9e74bd2.jpg

This is a pic of a 99 civic Vss I stole from my sisters car for picture purposes. This Vss will work fine.
f9e74c08.jpg

here is a pic of the VSS I used. The black part is from a 99 integra and the bottom part is from a 92 civic Si. These 2 parts work fine together. I ordered the metal piece from honda for $39 and the black piece used for $35. I stole the gear out of my sisters civic and it works with the teg/civic combo Vss I used. I also ordered new Oring seals for the VSS just to be on the safe side. Those where about $5 total.

f9e74c45.jpg

This is the connector you will need that plugs onto the electronic Vss. I didn't have one So I just plugged wires directly onto the VSS and sealed them up.
f9e74b56.jpg

Next just slip the electronic VSS into the tranny and bolt up with the 10mm bolt. Now here is the wiring, I don't have pics of the prosses but it is easy to understand. There are 3 wires coming out of the VSS plug. Power, signal and ground. The power wire you have to run to a switched power source, pin B4 and A15 on the civic clips will work fine. The ground wire you just have to ground, splice it into an exsisting ground or create a new one either will work. The signal wire has to be split into 2. Run one signal into the back of the cluster in pin A11, The other into Pin B16 on the ECU. You split the signal because both the cluster and Ecu need the Vehicle speed signal.

Here are some pics of it installed and working. Sorry the night pic didnt come out very well but you get the idea.

fa2c3944.jpg

fa2c3902.jpg

If you have any questions about this swap just ask I will help out ina ny way possible. Also I dont take any responsibility for any damages that maybe caused by this swap.

You can also use a CRV cluster instead of the civic one if yo uwould like to. The wiring is the same and the civic clips pop right into the CRV cluster.

f9e0aa59.jpg

fccfcee6.jpg

-James-
Is it just me or are the pics not showing

yeah, 16 year old thread with pics linked from imagestation, which no longer exists. Sorry we didn't get a chance to save all the remote images when these services stopped working. Please use attachments!

Back