99 Accord non-vtec to vtec engine swap, need help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Dr Evil

Hi everyone!

I'm new here, and I don't actually own a Honda, but one of my friends does but he doesn't speak English, so here I am to help ;)

Few weeks ago he blew up his 99 Accord non-vtec engine and bought another one from a junk yard. He did the engine swap, all went well and the engine works well. But his new engine is a F23A1 Vtec, from a 99 Accord also. And of course, since it's not wired then vtec won't work.

My question is quite simple, how to make it works properly? I'm kind of confused now, I've seen a lot of posts about running a wire to the solenoid, the other one to the ground, some says that we have to swap the ecu for another one, like an OBD1, some says that we should replace the IACV 3 wires for a 2 Wires, other that we must wire the vtec pressure sensor. Other say that we have to install a piggy back vtec controller. There is a lot of information, but not the same everywhere, and for many different models.

So my question is, what do we have to do to make it work properly. We are not looking for a lot more power, but only to make it work. Thanks ^^

VTEC controllers are old school. What he needs to do is also snag the ECU that goes with the new motor, and then use that ECU and run wires for VTEC. VTEC wiring isn't hard to do. I believe there are numerous write-ups on this site, plus they're all over the web. Just do a bit of searching and you'll find the info you need, most likely even with diagrams...

Thanks for the very quick answer. The problem is that the ECU for this car was already sold, so it's not available. I was looking for a chipped one also to avoid problems with the "chipped keys".

Thanks again ;)

Another question, is it really "mandatory" to change the IACV for a 2 wire one? Can't find one that will fit on this car, only 3 wires. Like I said earlier I've found a lot of information on how to rewire the vtec but a lot is for pre 98 cars, not that much about 98-2002. And I can't sort which modifications are needed for this car and which aren't.

Really thanks a lot for the help!

Ok, after looking around for the correct ECU, we couldn't find one, so we are going to do a ODB2B to ODB1 conversion. We found a chipped ODB1 ECU, with a ODB2B to ODB1 jumper harness. Beside wiring the VTEC solenoid and pressure sensor, is there any other modification that need to be done?

Will the current IACV will work?

Thanks

Back