99 JDM SiR B16A swap questions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

DravenVX

OKay i am trying to put a 99 B16A into my 92 Civic VX and i need some wiring and mount help! I was told that i should get an Si harness but i don't understand cuz i can just use my stock harness and just add a few wires to it. The Car is wired for Vtec already so that shouldn't be a problem. In japan the wiring is on the other side, how can i make this work? Also i purchased a set of mounts for my swap thru Avid Racing and the mounts made the engine sit way too high. I could not even close my hood after the engine was in, i could not believe it! I need to find some mounts that will work. I read the threat about B16 mounts and i just wanted to know if i can use the 99-00 SiR engine mounts with my swap as well. Would the Del Sol mounts help lower my engine as well cuz a friend told me that i need a rear engine bracket/mount from a B16 Honda Del Sol. I will try and post a pic of the mounts and maybe someone on here can see my problem cuz i am lost right now! Someone please help me out! Thanks! :(

Peter

use your stock harness
swap the plugs on the ones that dont fit
if you want to use aftermarket mounts get HASports

check out the refference section for pretty much all the info you need

B16A in a 5th gen = Integra brackets and Civic, or Integra mounts.

JDM harness is backwards, and OBD IIb 99-00 Si harness is one piece so niether will work on a USDM 5th gen. Like E said, use you harness, back date the electronics ( for instance, using your injectors will be easier than swapping plugs, as they are the same), ckeck out the reference section post up specific zingers and we'll bust em out.

The Avid Racing Mounts are identical when compared to the Hasport ones and like i said something is terribly wrong cuz my hood wouldn't close cuz the engine was sitting way too high up. Do i have to use the integra brackets with the Avid engine mounts? I mean how do i get the engine to sit like it should. I bought a 94 Del Sol Rear Bracket so maybe that will help a bit. Also thanks for mentioning the injectores cuz i wazs told that before but i wasnt sure if it was true,but now i will take it more seriously! I also got a shift linkage from a 94 GSR and it looks like it will fit, not 100% sure though? Does anyone know if it will fit 100%. I picked up some new axles today since the old ones are not compatible and i noticed that both are the same size! The old axles were different sizes, one was bigger then the other so how is this suppose to work?? You guys have been very helpful thus far but i just need a little more advice! thanks so much

BTW Does anyone here have a spare JACK SHAFT or anyone know where i can track one down cuz the engine never came with one!! :( <_<

Peter

i emailed this guy who sells wiring harnesses and it seems like he knows a thing or 2 about wiring cuz this is what he wrote to me....
"Additionaly the wiring includes a 5 wire O2 sensor, which would make it easy for you to use the four wire O2 sensor from the 99 Harness. So in short, if you use the OBD1 OEM harness, you will have to change the O2 sensor plug on your harness with the one from the 99 harness. Additioanly you will have to change the distributor plug on the 99 distributor to match the OBD1 distributor plug from your harness. If you do use the OBD2 distributor, you will however have to run an extra wire for the Tach signal, not to complicated. Lastly you will have to change the injector clips from OBD1 to OBD2, or modify the OBD1 clips to work with the OBD2 injectors.

If you use an OBD1 ECU other than the Del Sol P30 or JDM P30 ECU, than you will not have a knock sensor. The ECU we supply are Vtec ECUs with custom programming and no knock sensor."

Thats the entire email for you guys. Can anyone confirm whether or not this is all true or at least should be true! thanks

ok stupid question time
did you actually try to close the hood??
the only reason i ask is when i did my B18C/R in my del sol it didnt look like the hood would clear at all... the engine looked about 2 inches too high... but it clears fine

Originally posted by DravenVX@Jul 7 2005, 03:35 AM
"Additionaly the wiring includes a 5 wire O2 sensor, which would make it easy for you to use the four wire O2 sensor from the 99 Harness. So in short, if you use the OBD1 OEM harness, you will have to change the O2 sensor plug on your harness with the one from the 99 harness. Additioanly you will have to change the distributor plug on the 99 distributor to match the OBD1 distributor plug from your harness. If you do use the OBD2 distributor, you will however have to run an extra wire for the Tach signal, not to complicated. Lastly you will have to change the injector clips from OBD1 to OBD2, or modify the OBD1 clips to work with the OBD2 injectors.

If you use an OBD1 ECU other than the Del Sol P30 or JDM P30 ECU, than you will not have a knock sensor. The ECU we supply are Vtec ECUs with custom programming and no knock sensor."

Thats the entire email for you guys. Can anyone confirm whether or not this is all true or at least should be true! thanks
[post=521863]Quoted post[/post]​

Your VX o2 = read this...https://hondaswap.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14242
What ECU are you going to be using? Could you replug the OBD II distributor, or would you feel more comfortable getting an OBD I distributor, you decide.

GSR linkage is perfect.

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Jul 6 2005, 10:25 PM
ok stupid question time
the only reason i ask is when i did my B18C/R in my del sol it didnt look like the hood would clear at all... the engine looked about 2 inches too high... but it clears fine
[post=521880]Quoted post[/post]​

E i feel even dumber answering this cuz the hood wasnt even attached, it just looked like it was way off so i started getting worried! I kinda measured it, but my calcualtions could be off! Thanks for the nobrainer advice!LOL :blink:

That link that you provided 92b16vx is perfect, it's exactly what i was looking for, i just couldnt find it on my own! Thanks so much :D OH and i am using a chipped OBD1 P28 Ecu for my swap incase anyone is interested.

Does anyone know if the Jack Shaft from any other civic or integra will fit my setup cuz i can't seem to find one anywhere so i might just go to the dealership and buy one!

Peter

Originally posted by DravenVX+Jul 7 2005, 05:04 PM-->
@Jul 6 2005, 10:25 PM
ok stupid question time
[post=521880]Quoted post[/post]​

E i feel even dumber answering this cuz the hood wasnt even attached, it just looked like it was way off so i started getting worried! I kinda measured it, but my calcualtions could be off! Thanks for the nobrainer advice!LOL :blink:
[post=522254]Quoted post[/post]​

its all good... i did the same thing... took the whole hood off when i was doing the swap... then shit myself when i saw how far off it looked.... tried putting the hood on and everything was fine :)

What the hell is a jack shaft?

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Jul 7 2005, 05:01 PM
What the hell is a jack shaft?
[post=522282]Quoted post[/post]​

It's also called a Half Shaft. Its what connects the transmission to the driver side axle! I found a few on ebay but i just wanted to know if anyone had one at home, but it has to be a B Series one. I tried to track one down thru various junkyards and it's nearly impossible!

I cannot stress enough how much easier your swap would be if you just bought a 98 GSR harness. [advice from deth^]
I used a 98 GSR harness,
[ 94 ls axles]
[ universal upper radiator hose ]
a 95 GSR upper driver's side mount bracket,
a 95 GSR rear 'T' mount bracket,
and everything else i used from my civic.
Using the GSR harness saves you time, and maybe money?
I got mine on ebay for $60 shipped.
This way i didnt have to change and plugs, or injectors, or distributor etc.
It all plugs in (except IAT), and it was a 10 minute thing.
Real plug and play, and went smooth.
I am also runnin a chipped p28 with some crappy chip in it :unsure:
Good luck on the swap tho!

Originally posted by VTECin5th@Jul 10 2005, 10:23 AM
I cannot stress enough how much easier your swap would be if you just bought a 98 GSR harness. [advice from deth^]
I used a 98 GSR harness,
[ 94 ls axles]
[ universal upper radiator hose ]
a 95 GSR upper driver's side mount bracket,
a 95 GSR rear 'T' mount bracket,
and everything else i used from my civic.
Using the GSR harness saves you time, and maybe money?
I got mine on ebay for $60 shipped.
This way i didnt have to change and plugs, or injectors, or distributor etc.
It all plugs in (except IAT), and it was a 10 minute thing.
Real plug and play, and went smooth.
I am also runnin a chipped p28 with some crappy chip in it  :unsure:
Good luck on the swap tho!
[post=523525]Quoted post[/post]​

If i can track down a GSR Harness i will take advantage of it. Thanks for the valuable info VTECin5th. BTW what kinda chip you got in ur P28 and where did u get a universal upper rad hose? Will any integra upper rad hose work with a bigger dual core radiator? thanks

I got my universal radiator hose at AutoZone for like $12 or less.
I cannot answer the question about any upper integra radiator hose, someone else may be able to do that, but i heard that a 94 GSR upper hose would work.
i was told the chip in my p28 was for LS/V, but i suspect it is just another Ebay crap chip. :(
BTW with the GSR harness on a b16a2, 2 wires need to be extended for the IAT.
5 minute job.
i :worthy: to deth101 for saving me the hassle^
BTW after i posted this, i found this in the for sale section here at HS:
https://hondaswap.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=58064
$100 + shipping is a pretty good deal.

Originally posted by VTECin5th@Jul 10 2005, 08:51 PM
I got my universal radiator hose at AutoZone for like $12 or less.
I cannot answer the question about any upper integra radiator hose, someone else may be able to do that, but i heard that a 94 GSR upper hose would work.
i was told the chip in my p28 was for LS/V, but i suspect it is just another Ebay crap chip. :(
BTW with the GSR harness on a b16a2, 2 wires need to be extended for the IAT.
5 minute job.
i :worthy: to deth101 for saving me the hassle^
BTW after i posted this, i found this in the for sale section here at HS:
https://hondaswap.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=58064
$100 + shipping is a pretty good deal.
[post=523764]Quoted post[/post]​

I looked at the link you provided but it says OBD2, don't i need OBD1?? if this will work then it would be great. I also found one on ebay but it's engine side only! http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...TRK%3AMEWA%3AIT,

BTW I really appreciate you sending me the link and helping me out, thanks!

obd2 GSR/Type R harness breaks off at the 'shock towers' in the engine bay, the other obd2 harness' do not, they go all the way into the car.
I used 98 gsr harness and didnt change anything, just plugged into everything.
If it is a b16a2 it will work.
if it is a b16a sir II, it will not work.

use a Del sol DOHC vtec upper radiator hose with a ladder clamp on the radiator end, will fit like it came that way
sorry for the big pic

wNzA4NTg1NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

Originally posted by VTECin5th@Jul 12 2005, 03:32 PM
obd2 GSR/Type R harness breaks off at the 'shock towers' in the engine bay, the other obd2 harness' do not, they go all the way into the car.
[post=524860]Quoted post[/post]​

I have a B16A so it most likely won't work!

Originally posted by DravenVX+Jul 12 2005, 09:57 PM-->
VTECin5th
@Jul 12 2005, 03:32 PM
[post=524860]Quoted post[/post]​

I have a B16A so it most likely won't work!
[post=525114]Quoted post[/post]​

It most likely will work if it is a 99-00 b16a.
It most likely won't work if it is from another year.
:unsure:

Back