A couple transmission questions, 8th gen SI

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

budda

I just recently purchased a 2009 Civic SI. It has about 52k of likely very hard miles, but still has the factory warrantee. There's a couple things about it that are kinda irking me, but this is my first honda so I don't know if any of this is normal.

First, the clutch pedal. When I push it down all the way, sometimes the pedal makes a clicking noise and I can feel it.

Second, and more worrysome. Very rarely, while shifting from second to third, it occasionally seems to stick halfway before going into gear, like it's getting caught on the synchro or something.

Is any of this normal? Or should I take it in for surgery? I have a full bumper to bumper warranty, and absolutely will not turn a wrench of any kind on this car until march of 2016.

Nevermind. It grinded going into second with the clutch totally pressed under extremely light driving, and this isn't the first time. It's going to the dealer tomorrow. Fuck this.

The car has a stick on bodykit, window visors, and a shift knob that I just found out is from ebay. I knew it had previously been wrecked twice before buying it, but because the warranty I decided to take the gamble. Now that I've pieced it together, the car very obviously has douchebag written all over it. Some guy bought this car, autozone Type S'd it out, beat the living shit out of it for 52,000 miles, wrecking it severely, and traded it in. Now it's my problem. I'm very pissed at myself for not knowing better. The car pulls to the left, and under close inspection, I've noticed the right headlight doesn't line up with the fender/bumper, both likely a result of the front end collision that according to carfax caused "disabling damage."

Basically, for $19,500, I got hosed, because I'm stupid. I should have known better when the salesman told me "Accident reported" on the carfax meant "yeah that means there was no damage" and tried to usher me past it quickly. Fuck.

Last edited:
Man, if I had seen all that at the dealer, I wouldn't have bought it. I'm one of those that checks panel gaps and whether or not any of the body bolts have been turned after painting at the factory...

Damn, yeah...sounds like you got hosed pretty bad. Did you get it from a Honda dealership? Was it a Honda certified car?

if its got bumper to bumper warranty, id go and raise cane until its perfect, free of charge

According to the tech at Jeff Wyler, the clicking is endemic of a bad clutch master cylinder, which apparently they've released a TSB about as it's a frequent problem. Which would explain alot.

Damn, yeah...sounds like you got hosed pretty bad. Did you get it from a Honda dealership? Was it a Honda certified car?

Luckily, yes. It's honda certified used, passed their 152 point inspection (which btw was bogus and hardly that much of an inspection) But they warranteed it for the rest of the factory warranty. So for the next 3 years/48k miles, they're gonna get to know me REALLY well.

Well they replaced the clutch master cylinder. For the most part it's all better. 3rd still seems kinda clunky, but it's not getting stuck anymore at least. So I'll see what happens the next 48,000 miles. I've now found out that Kings Honda is very scheisty, so if you're in the area, avoid them.

Yeah the salesman clearly lied, but I was trading in a 2009 Ford fusion with a transmission that was already slipping, not shifting properly, had really bad hesitation, would neutral drop from a rolling stop, and an engine that burns a quart of oil every 200 miles. I definitely got the better deal. That transmission's on it's way out. It was only a matter of time before the car screwed up immensely, and I had to get out of it ASAP. So I took the gamble and bought the Civic already having read the carfax and knowing about the accidents, since I would have been much more screwed if I held onto the Fusion any longer.

Yeah the salesman's some sort of shady, or impossibly stupid. Despite being born and raised in Ohio, he barely had a grasp of basic English or computer skills, and had the handwriting of a 3 year old. So who knows. Maybe he's actually that dumb, although common sense says he was playing me from the getgo, and I fell for it. Whatever the case, I got the car, and since they replaced the clutch master cylinder, I haven't really had any trouble with shifting. Mildly worried about 3rd gear, but I'll make sure it's fixed if it goes wrong. It's been quite reliable for the last 2k miles even with the clutch problem. It stops on a dime, the steering is tight, suspension is fine, no noises, clicks, etc while driving, it doesn't leak a drop of fluid. I honestly think I should be fine. It's a honda!

At least it's still under warranty for 3 years. As long as Honda keeps fixing problems if they arise, we're good. If nothing goes wrong from it's previous collision by 48k miles, it probably won't. I'll just see what happens if it happens, and if it craps out all the time over the next couple years, I'll just trade it for an Accord or newer Civic the day the warranty expires. Worst case, I really only sunk $7500 of my own money into the car, which'll be paid off before the warranty is up. By that time, the local honda dealerships will have gotten to know me REAL well.

Basically, yeah I'm dumb, and impulsive. At least I got the car for $4k under their asking price, although some unfortunate sap just probably paid $15k for a 2009 ford fusion from them that will require $4-5k worth the work within a year if it hasn't died already. :(. I gotta say, I do feel a really guilty about that.

I should have thought it through. I knew the risks. I took them anyway. If it ends up screwing me in the end, I have only myself to blame. Idk this whole fucking situation sucks. This car has to work. If it doesn't, they don't have any idea who they're messing with.

Last edited:
If it's under Honda warranty- take it to another dealer and have them check it out. You're not obligated to go back to the same stealership that swindled you when you bought it.

I know lol. Bought the car at Kings Honda. The clutch master cylinder was replaced at Wyler. Apparently they're notorious for being unable to replicate problems, so when I get back from a trip I'm taking this week, it'll be going to Superior Honda for a new 3rd gear synchro.

Also damn Calesta your rep power has just gone Super Saiyan since 09.

A little late to chime in, but for what it's worth, my 09 Si does the slight hesitation shifting from 2nd to 3rd also. I think it's a pretty common problem with our year, having a bad 3rd synchro.

How much did the new 3rd synchro cost you?

The person at Honda Motor Company of America who determines what is recalled should be dragged out of his/her office and beaten. All 8th gen civics have synchro problems as do TSX and Accords that came equipped with this 6sp transmission. Another dealership did something similar to me. The sold me a 2007 Civic Si Coupe with a full warranty and calling it "Q-certified". I was worried because the transmission did grind 2nd and 3rd gear on the test drive. The salesmen convinced me it would be ok by telling me that "If anything goes wrong it will be fixed under warranty." This is a flat-out lie. Honda refuses to fix any problems related to this transmission unless the customer pays thousands out of pocket. It is like a scam to steal your money. They fucked up they know it they even have a service bulletin on the problem 08-020 . I want to walk into that dealership and beat the shit out of the salesmen. I mean until they are crying and begging for it to end and then keep beating them.

Honda Service Bulletin 08-020 8th gen civic si synchro
http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/mech...-honda-tsb-08-020-april-12-2008-3rd-gear.html

Back