a turning point for the miracle mirage

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

TurboMirage

That’s how you get ants
VIP
well let me start here first.

a few weeks ago i got a job offer to be a systems engineer at a local company called compusmart, INC. its great. ive been working there and ive learned so much dealing with internal and external networking, cisco systems, and windows administration. wow. im also making a good amount of cash there. since i started, i havent had any time to work on the mirage. with that, i have saved up a decent chunk of mod money. ive also never had a $508 paycheck (after deductions) with only 34 hours on the clock.

so after saying this... the condition of the mirage? well.... bittersweet.

bitter - the 1.5 is dying. it doesnt feel as powerful as it once did. the valve seals are going. mind you i have 12 new ones sitting here, but why do that work? the car needs an o2 sensor that i bought recently, and havent put in yet. it still needs roofwork, and a spray (when i have time Wink ) the PS belt blew off yesterday. PS is coming out tomorrow, fuck it. something im sick of? the fucking front wheel gap. it will never be as low as the back without changing springs.

sweet- the car runs and drives nicely. corners extremely well and is competitve in and out of its class at the various autocrosses i have attended. i love the sedan front end on the coupe. it was so worth it. i seriously love this car despite its quirks, its just entirely too much fun.

future?? what does it hold? ill tell you.

i bought a DSM. its a 93 Talon ESi, with all the creature comforts, black on black. its seriously mint. 108K miles on the motor with all receipts and such and maintenance done. its in great shape, with a dent on a fender and the hood. its got NO RUST OR ROT. i hardly paid anything for it. the motor has perfect compression, nor does it smoke. the tranny was rebuilt 15k ago. its BONE STOCK. its got a nice set of alloys. all the car needs is a set of shocks (what, like 100 bucks for 4 stock shocks??) and something else. the previous owner works at a reputable shop in my area, says that the clutch doesnt engage. either its the clutch cylinder or the fork. easy fix for me to do anyways. he even says i can use one of his bays for the weekend if i need to. so?? winter car, definately.

soon to be in my possession is a evoIII timing belt mount for a 4g63, as soon as i can locate one. in the spring, ill be pulling the 4g63 and rebuilding it. balance shaft removal kit, ported and polished head, and other goodies probably.

ill be sellling the clean as hell DSM shell in the spring for what i paid for it, minus motor, harness, and gauge cluster.

my goal is still 200whp. im sure i can get there.

Originally posted by Seany-izzle@Aug 13 2005, 04:01 PM
ummmm 200whp from a rebuilt 4g, minimal mods and youll get more than that. lol stop being so modest.
[post=539683]Quoted post[/post]​

dont forget that the 4g63 N/A is 135hp, 152tq crank stock.

best part about going N/A swap instead of turbo swap is i only have to add 5 wires to my harness, instead of swapping in the dsm harness. the dsm cluster is a bolt-in and fits the dash too. ill also be using my 4g15 tranny and act clutch. ;)

considering the car is 2700lbs, itll be nice to shave off ~550 by putting the 4g63 in. note my stock motor is iron, and the 2.0 weighs less than 100lbs more.

A better idea for the mirage would be to sell it, along with the DSM and buy the evo that you really want. Either that or spend the money to for the custom fabrication to make it AWD turbo, like the EVO that you want. Swapping in a piece of garbage NA motor seems idiotic to me.

Originally posted by New2TheCarScene@Aug 13 2005, 11:40 PM
Swapping in a piece of garbage NA motor seems idiotic to me.
[post=539796]Quoted post[/post]​

you guys seem to do it all the time.

Originally posted by TurboMirage+Aug 14 2005, 06:32 AM-->
New2TheCarScene
@Aug 13 2005, 11:40 PM
Swapping in a piece of garbage NA motor seems idiotic to me.
[post=539796]Quoted post[/post]​

you guys seem to do it all the time.
[post=539854]Quoted post[/post]​

For one, I'm not included in "one of you guys."

I'll buy my WRX, probably do some breather mods and suspension mods and call it a day.

I've told myself that I won't buy another FWD car after the del slo.

As for Honda owners swapping in stock motors, the stock motors many swap in are the best that are available from Honda that can realistically be swapped. I wouldn't consider a h22, b18c1 or b18c5 to be garbage NA motors because stock they'd romp on that garbage motor you're swapping in. An analogy would be, you have the opportunity to swap in a Type R motor right now but you're going to go ahead and replace your d15 with a d16. Its stupid when you clearly would like to own an Evo and now have the opportunity to make your own affordable Evo.

in time yes. affordable evo. i dont want one of the ones you can purchase in the states, though.

im going to have this car either until i crash it, or it rots away. its not going to rot anytime soon. ive already done alot to it. besides, its basically a free swap. im not really going to be paying for it.

a year or two down the road, ill swap in the turbo motor. but in the meantime, i want this motor. im not one to triple my cars power just because i can. i like to do it responsibly. also, with the N/A swap ill be pretty much ready to swap in the turbo anytime i want.

after that, ill do AWD. i just want the car worked up a little at a time. ask the HS members that know me, and they will tell you im doing the right thing.

when i had my 92 hatch, my plans were D15b7 turbo. :shrug2:

yay for fre parts. Ya it would be a bad choice to pay out the ass to be slow, but if it's free then why not?

But then again, why not sell the motor and use the money for the turbo one? It looks like your brakes and suspension are decent enough, not to mention that your car isn't very heavy to require huge brakes, but what do I know, I just swapped a crappy NA honda motor into my car :p

Originally posted by TurboMirage@Aug 14 2005, 04:49 PM
also, with the N/A swap ill be pretty much ready to swap in the turbo anytime i want.

after that, ill do AWD. i just want the car worked up a little at a time. ask the HS members that know me, and they will tell you im doing the right thing.

Except for the fact that the mitsushitty NA motors are a pain in the ass to turbo. Most just do a 6 or 7 bolt swap rather than turboing their RS's. Those who turbo the RS's put more money into the engine than they would have if they just swapped the thing to a factory turbo, just as you will.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with D series, especially turbo'd D series but I'm saying when you have the engine out of the car and there's a ton of 6 and 7 bolt swaps that can go into the car, why not do so?

Originally posted by New2TheCarScene+Aug 14 2005, 09:52 PM-->
TurboMirage
@Aug 14 2005, 04:49 PM
also, with the N/A swap ill be pretty much ready to swap in the turbo anytime i want.

Except for the fact that the mitsushitty NA motors are a pain in the ass to turbo. Most just do a 6 or 7 bolt swap rather than turboing their RS's. Those who turbo the RS's put more money into the engine than they would have if they just swapped the thing to a factory turbo, just as you will.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with D series, especially turbo'd D series but I'm saying when you have the engine out of the car and there's a ton of 6 and 7 bolt swaps that can go into the car, why not do so?
[post=540047]Quoted post[/post]​

reading is fundamental :) im not going to turbo the N/A motor.

my point is i dont want the turbo motor right now.

Originally posted by TurboMirage@Aug 15 2005, 06:57 AM
reading is fundamental :) im not going to turbo the N/A motor.

my point is i dont want the turbo motor right now.

Don't patronize me. <_<

You said swap the 'turbo' in, not the turbo motor. :ph34r:

Originally posted by TurboMirage@Aug 14 2005, 05:49 PM
ask the HS members that know me, and they will tell you im doing the right thing.
[post=539970]Quoted post[/post]​

:huh:

doing the right thing? hrm....

Uh.... dude....

I think it'll be a cool swap for you and all, don't get me wrong, but the engine in an ESi is not a N/A 4G63, it's a 420A.

The car is not made by Diamond Star Motors.

The engine is not made by Diamond Star Motors either, it's made by the Chrysler group. The ESi is a 2.0L 2WD Chrysler.

Nice lookin car, but it's not a DSM, and it's not at all fast.

With all the machining work and parts you're planning on putting into that 420A, I think what people are saying is that you'd be better off leaving the Talon alone (use it for a winter car/grocery getter), and find a 4G63 for your mirage.

More money spent, I know, but we wouldn't want you to go through all that work and be dissapointed in the results.

*Edit....just saw in your post that you got a 93...so yes, in fact, it was made at the Diamond Star plant....my bad. It wasn't until 1995 that the ESi got the 2.0L Chrysler engine.

Originally posted by adnoh@Aug 15 2005, 09:44 AM
Uh.... dude....

I think it'll be a cool swap for you and all, don't get me wrong, but the engine in an ESi is not a N/A 4G63, it's a 420A.

The car is not made by Diamond Star Motors.

The engine is not made by Diamond Star Motors either, it's made by the Chrysler group. The ESi is a 2.0L 2WD Chrysler.

Nice lookin car, but it's not a DSM, and it's not at all fast.

With all the machining work and parts you're planning on putting into that 420A, I think what people are saying is that you'd be better off leaving the Talon alone (use it for a winter car/grocery getter), and find a 4G63 for your mirage.

More money spent, I know, but we wouldn't want you to go through all that work and be dissapointed in the results.

*Edit....just saw in your post that you got a 93...so yes, in fact, it was made at the Diamond Star plant....my bad. It wasn't until 1995 that the ESi got the 2.0L Chrysler engine.
[post=540200]Quoted post[/post]​

you really want to argue the point that there isnt a 4g63 under the hood of my talon? you have some fucking nerve....

EDIT 1
first, i DIDNT KNOW the 420a had a cast aluminum intake manifold on the REAR of the motor.

second, IIRC the 420a is SOHC.

third, it says "2000 DOHC" on the fucking valve cover.

thanks, and please drive through.

EDIT 2
i would NEVER NEVER NEVER put a neon motor into my car.

also, read this FROM MY FIRST POST.

Originally posted by turbomirage
soon to be in my possession is a evoIII timing belt mount for a 4g63, as soon as i can locate one. in the spring, ill be pulling the 4g63 and rebuilding it. balance shaft removal kit, ported and polished head, and other goodies probably.

yeeaaahhh, considering the 420a mounts are completely different - why would i use an evo mount to put in a 420a?

for some reason, i mentioned that i was going to rebuild my 4g63 from my talon before i drop it into my mirage. looks like i should stop looking around for 4g63 stuff and get some 420a stuff.

ooooo touchy touchy.....

i have realized that what it seems to me that chris is doing is swapping in a motor that works well and runs strong for the time being until he is done building his 4g.
In honda terms... swapping a d16 in your civic cuz your d15 is dying and you dont have the time or money to quite finish the built b18.

am i close?

yeah well like i said, how does he know whats under the hood of my car? ;)

sean, youre close!

the difference is, that no D series comes with as much power stock.

eventually yes ill be pulling the motor out for a 63t.

Back