accord engine in a civic?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

unclefressie

i have a 95 civic LX and it currently has 16 valve d15 1.5 engine. I do not know a thing about cars, i need a new engine and my brother has a 94 accord and his engine is 16 valve F22B2 sohc non v-tech. can this engine be put in the civic?
your help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

Well, people have put the J30 into a civic- the question is how much work you want to have to do? If you are looking for a project and you have more time than money, you use whatever you have and take it slow. If you want a project and you want simple, and a lot of power, then you insead drop a B18C into that car because it is the most direct fit with the greatest power.

BUT, if you are just trying to put it back on the road, and this is simply a daily driver needs fixed sort of question, then you but the same exact engine that the car had in it and put that in. Since you say you don't know a thing about cars, I am guessing you are just trying to fix it up- and as such, an engine swap is a big project if you've never done anything on cars before. My advice is get one of those motors from a salvage yard for like $400 and then have someone who has done it before help you so you can learn. In case said "experienced mechanic" is mediocre, I'll save you a couple of headaches and say 1) replace the rear main seal on the engine and front seal on the transmission while you have it apart. There is nothing worse than doing a swap, then a week later realizing the seal is leaking and you have to pull the motor/tranny again to do what you could have done in minutes for $5 before. Then 2) replace the timing belt, water pump, and cam and crank seals. Sane story, it's easier to get to those things while you've already got the engine out. And while you have the engine back in the car but you haven't put the exhaust pipe back up there yet, do the oil pan gasket. All of these tips will same you time, labor, and money later. You will enjoy a trouble free engine if you just do those few things. Also make sure the PCV valve has been replaced, that is also somewhat easier to do with the engine out if the valve is in the can on the back of the block.

You will only need one special tool, the crankshaft pulley removal tool, expect to pay $40 for it, but it is good for all Hondas after you buy it. Take that crank pulley off the old engine and you can get the engine out without having to bring the tranny up too. Then going back in, do the same thing. If you do decide to be involved in the swap let us know and we can give you some tips so you don't repeat little mistakes a lot of people here made their first time around. Oh and welcome to Hondaswap!

Hey thanks a lot! yea its just to get the car back on the road and get me to and fro' I appreciate your detailed response. I have someone who says he specializes in hondas and he offered to put the engine in for only $350. I've researched prices and i could not believe he offered such a low rate. I found an engine with 80K miles (65K miles less than mine) for $400 at a salvage yard so from the research ive done im shocked at how much im going to save. Once again thanks for your help dude.

Yeah no problem- but be sure to do yourself a favor and use a little of that money you're saving to do that stuff while you're at it. Sounds like you found a reasonable mechanic, hopefully specializing in Hondas he will do it right and save you money all at the same time. Good luck, it sounds like you're all set!

Be careful.

"Specializing in Hondas" could very well mean "Will get completely stumped and ask for more money/time when the F22 doesn't fit immediately"

Be careful.

"Specializing in Hondas" could very well mean "Will get completely stumped and ask for more money/time when the F22 doesn't fit immediately"

Well he said he went for a salvage motor, so I think he is just doing stock replacement motor rather than trying to make the F22 work.

Oh. That would be a much smarter way to go.

$350 is about right to just pull an engine and install a direct replacement. It's not that much work if you know what you're doing.

Oh. That would be a much smarter way to go.

$350 is about right to just pull an engine and install a direct replacement. It's not that much work if you know what you're doing.

+1

I've swapped an engine out for $300 before because as he said when you know what you're doing it's not that hard or time consuming.

You will only need one special tool, the crankshaft pulley removal tool, expect to pay $40 for it, but it is good for all Hondas after you buy it. Take that crank pulley off the old engine and you can get the engine out without having to bring the tranny up too. Then going back in, do the same thing. If you do decide to be involved in the swap let us know and we can give you some tips so you don't repeat little mistakes a lot of people here made their first time around. Oh and welcome to Hondaswap!

A good 1/2 impact works pretty good too

Yeah I think my local Honda dealer said they have to turn the air up to 400PSI- and personally I have a 1/2 inch electric impact that has 250lb ft of torque that won't do it, so I know that thing is on there TIGHT. But yeah the impact is technically the easy way to do it if you have a serious enough compressor.

Yeah I think my local Honda dealer said they have to turn the air up to 400PSI- and personally I have a 1/2 inch electric impact that has 250lb ft of torque that won't do it, so I know that thing is on there TIGHT. But yeah the impact is technically the easy way to do it if you have a serious enough compressor.

Mine's not that serious. I've used both a ingersoll rand and a cheapo earthquake one at 125 psi.

clear.gif

clear.gif

02623.gif

- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

Well whats your question/needing help ?
I'm going to paint my engine bay and I don't have a cherry picker how could I get my engine out also what engine would be best for a 2000 Honda civic I currently don't have a VTEC and it pisses me off I heard b series is a good powerful motor for Hondas but they are pretty pricy for me I'm only 17

I'm going to paint my engine bay and I don't have a cherry picker how could I get my engine out also what engine would be best for a 2000 Honda civic I currently don't have a VTEC and it pisses me off I heard b series is a good powerful motor for Hondas but they are pretty pricy for me I'm only 17
Wow slow down 1 step at a time, is start off by posting a build thread for your car and tell us about it and post pictures etc, welcome to honda swap, removing your engine and putting it back in does require some sort of lift/hoist , and far as the painting you can move stuff out of the way for the most part and paint the engine bay carefully, and best swap is a vauge term it all depends on how much you want to spend and how mechanically inclined you are, vtec is nothing to rave about btw

Back