ACL bearings

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hmtcrxsir

Just wanted to know if ACL bearings are one size fit all? Or do they have different size too?

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jun 22 2005, 09:14 AM
ACL's :thumbsup:
[post=515177]Quoted post[/post]​

Okay give..... I have read alot about only use OEM. and somewhere, don't remember where that Nascar alters the main to fit Honda OEM.....

So what do you know? Give.....:)

all the top honda engine builders use ACL, and so do I.

wildbill rebuilt that all-motor LS with an acl bearing kit.
my gsr has one waiting to go on when i do the itr rods/pistons.

you can get everything from rod bearings to thrust washers to mains for about 100 bucks.

but what about clearances? everything should be the same clearance. if you just put all the same size, they wont all be right. unless acl offers different sizes, but from everything ive read its all one size, and about the size of a green bearing.

ACL bearings are available in standard, oversized, undersized etc... If ur wondering if they come in different sizes in packs, then no they dont. If u require different size bearings for each rod, than its time to machine the crank and use a over sized bearing. They hold up very well, that Talon in my sig uses ACL bearings.

Originally posted by GSRCRXsi@Jun 22 2005, 03:57 PM
but what about clearances? everything should be the same clearance. if you just put all the same size, they wont all be right. unless acl offers different sizes, but from everything ive read its all one size, and about the size of a green bearing.
[post=515387]Quoted post[/post]​

The clearances will all be "good enough" for the most part... but if you want to nail them dead-on, OEM is the way to go.

Originally posted by Calesta+Jun 22 2005, 07:35 PM-->
@Jun 22 2005, 03:57 PM
[post=515387]Quoted post[/post]​

The clearances will all be "good enough" for the most part... but if you want to nail them dead-on, OEM is the way to go.
[post=515434]Quoted post[/post]​

"good Enough".... I am :walk: away from that. No agreement with that, sorry.

"nail them"....... :yes:

If you want it done to the letter then yes, OEM and plastigage is the way to go. I used one color bearing to measure the clearances I had with that bearing and calculated the differences in thicknesses of different colored bearings to get the proper clearances. A search should yield you the thicknesses of each color for oem bearings.

well since i spun a bearing last month. I decided to change all the bearings instead of just changing the bearings that needed to be changed. That way i know that all the bearings are new and dont have to worry about them. BTW, this is just my daily driver.

After disassembling everything, I looked at the stamping on the block and the numbers on the crank and found that the engine came from the factory with the following main bearings.

Journal #1: B3 = Green (crank pulley side)
Journal #2: A2 = Pink
Journal #3: B4 = Brown
Journal #4: B2 = Yellow
Journal #5: C3 = Brown

Using the other set of crank stampings and the numbers of the rods, I can see that my engine came with the following rod bearings from the factor.

Rod #1: B4 = Brown
Rod #2: D4 = Blue
Rod #3: B4 = Brown
Rod #4: B3 = Green

I am not sure what to do about the ACL bearings because my rod bearings are 3 different colors and my main bearings are 4 different colors. Getting Honda bearings would be easy but expensive. And i'm on a budget right now. So you guys think the "one size fit all" will fit just right?

BTW, can someone quickly go over how to use a plastigage. This is my first time measuring bearing clearance. And Yes, I do want to learn and will not let any other professional do this.

Wasnt sure if i should use the red plastigage or the green one?

Id buy the one that spun from honda, and double check the clearances on the rest. No sense in replacing what isnt broken. No, one size doesnt fit all. I used TOPLINE bearings in my motor build, the machine shop said they were perfect

well i think i have to change the crank anyways because its already scratch due to bearing failure. So I dont think i can use the same bearings on a whole different crank in the same block. Unless it has the same specs. Which i highly doubt is the same. So thats the reason why im planning to replace every bearing there is.

Originally posted by hmtcrxsir+Jun 23 2005, 02:43 AM-->
well since i spun a bearing last month. I decided to change all the bearings instead of just changing the bearings that needed to be changed. That way i know that all the bearings are new and dont have to worry about them. BTW, this is just my daily driver.

After disassembling everything, I looked at the stamping on the block and the numbers on the crank and found that the engine came from the factory with the following main bearings.

Journal #1: B3 = Green (crank pulley side)
Journal #2: A2 = Pink
Journal #3: B4 = Brown
Journal #4: B2 = Yellow
Journal #5: C3 = Brown

Using the other set of crank stampings and the numbers of the rods, I can see that my engine came with the following rod bearings from the factor.

Rod #1: B4 = Brown
Rod #2: D4 = Blue
Rod #3: B4 = Brown
Rod #4: B3 = Green

I am not sure what to do about the ACL bearings because my rod bearings are 3 different colors and my main bearings are 4 different colors. Getting Honda bearings would be easy but expensive. And i'm on a budget right now. So you guys think the "one size fit all" will fit just right?
[post=515513]Quoted post[/post]​

Pink is fun to find. I had to wait a few months while some came over from Japan back in 2001... You could find the clearance numbers and measure things out to see if ACL green wannabes will work- but most of the time the ACL bearings will bring everything in within tolerance. Your clearances won't be perfect across the board, but I don't think they are from the factory anyway.

Originally posted by hmtcrxsir@Jun 23 2005, 02:46 AM
BTW, can someone quickly go over how to use a plastigage. This is my first time measuring bearing clearance. And Yes, I do want to learn and will not let any other professional do this.

Wasnt sure if i should use the red plastigage or the green one?
[post=515514]Quoted post[/post]​

I've always seen the green stuff used for Honda cranks.

hmtcrxsir
@Jun 23 2005, 05:34 AM
well i think i have to change the crank anyways because its already scratch due to bearing failure. So I dont think i can use the same bearings on a whole different crank in the same block. Unless it has the same specs. Which i highly doubt is the same. So thats the reason why im planning to replace every bearing there is.
[post=515525]Quoted post[/post]​

Get the new crank first, then find out what you're supposed to need. Any crank polishing will change the clearances, so be careful.

I guess i'll go with ACL if no one complains about them.

:D

So do i measure the top bearings and the bottom ones? Or just the bottom one? ????

Depending on the the depth of the scratch and the size of you mains you may be able to save your crank.

What are you trying to do with this build? make some power? just get it on the road? have the engine last for a little time or a long time?

I don't want to poop in your cheerio's, but the majority of posts indicate proper clearances are needed. are you looking for approval to just slap it together?

well you can say i just need the motor running because i have smog check in a month or so. So i need to get this car running. Well its a 95 civic ex and its only my daily commuter.

and yes i got another crank from another D16z6.

Back