adding a Crank Fluctuation Sensor 1995 ex to obd2

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

poloboy4

ok i have both motors out side by side the motor would not start when i did the swap so i took it out again this time adding the crank sensor but on my 95 ex motor d16z6 it dose not have the bolts for the sensor nor the thing bolt hole for the crank sensor now look at the pics below my y8 block has the little things on the ( crank pulley?) or what ever that thing that sends the signal to the pulley is.

Attachments

• ckf.jpg
    ckf.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 37,861
Last edited:
When I swapped an OBD1 JDM B16A replacing the stock OBD2 B16A2 into my 2000 Civic Si I didnt retain the sensor but Im still using the unchanged OBD2 ECU. (OBD2 has the CFS, OBD1 does not.) The car will run fine without it you'll just throw a code. My guess is there is some other issue. G/L

Last edited:
The Z6 should already have it...in the distributor(assuming you're using the stock one).

the z6 distributor does not have the crankshaft fluctuation sensor in it. no dizzys do actually. its only present on 96+ civic/teg engines, and only an obd2a/b ecu will look for a reading from it.

you can either swap in a obd2 d-series oil pump which will have provisions for the ckf sensor, or you can trick the ecu and bypass the ckf altogether.

.:FFS TechNet : CKF Bypass Trick :.

The D16Z6 DOES have a CKF sensor; 95 and older have it in the distributor while 96 and up have it on the crankshaft. If you ever looked at the distributor harnesses, it's a dead giveaway. If you open them up, it's obvious.

sorry chief try again. and i have opened up a dizzy before. there are 7 wires correct, can we agree on that. one of which is the ignitor. that leaves 6 wires. blu/grn and blu/yel correspond to cylinder position of piston 1 (CYP). org/blu and wht/blu correspond to the top dead center sensor. (TDC) and lastly the orange and white wires correspond to the CKP sensor. The CKP simply keeps reference of crank position, where as a CKF reads notches on the crank gear to register crankshaft fluctuation. If what you say is true then the components inside an obd1 and 2 dizzy would be different, and i hope you know that they are not. a ckf is different than a ckp, and a seperate additional sensor on 96+ engines.

^that guys got it. When I did my swap I was told I had to buy the OBD2 oil pump and after looking at both engines then, I saw the difference. Either way a Crank Fluctuation Sensor is NOT necessary to have a perfectly running car. The 4500+ miles on my car without one can attest to that. Your ECU won't agree but you can program it out to fool it.

sorry chief try again. and i have opened up a dizzy before. there are 7 wires correct, can we agree on that. one of which is the ignitor. that leaves 6 wires. blu/grn and blu/yel correspond to cylinder position of piston 1 (CYP). org/blu and wht/blu correspond to the top dead center sensor. (TDC) and lastly the orange and white wires correspond to the CKP sensor. The CKP simply keeps reference of crank position, where as a CKF reads notches on the crank gear to register crankshaft fluctuation. If what you say is true then the components inside an obd1 and 2 dizzy would be different, and i hope you know that they are not. a ckf is different than a ckp, and a seperate additional sensor on 96+ engines.

OBD1's have 9 wires(a 7-pin plus 2 pin connector; the 2 pin goes to the ignitor). IIRC OBD2 actually uses a 10pin connector so I'd think there's more. That timing wheel in the distributor has exactly twice the number of teeth than the crank wheel; this is because the cams spin and half the speed of the crankshaft; works the same(have one sensor feeding both signals). You're right that in a sense it's not a CKF, but they work the same way.

Attachments

• 100_2612.JPG
    100_2612.JPG
    147.3 KB · Views: 4,674
Last edited:
this is weird and im going from a 10 pin obd1 to a 8 pin obd2b so nothing to do with 96-98.. wich makes it harder i think ima give up and just buy a y8 dont wana buy a oil pump if im not sure it will work..:eek:

iv just bout a b16a vtech engine but it has no crank sensore on it but my old b16a vtech does is it possable to take the crank sensor of my old engine and put it on the new one and how would i go about dooing so if you could help that would b great thank you

iv just bout a b16a vtech engine but it has no crank sensore on it but my old b16a vtech does is it possable to take the crank sensor of my old engine and put it on the new one and how would i go about dooing so if you could help that would b great thank you
:doh2:I'd bold the stupidity, but, well, its all stupid...

Back