Adventures in EGR Land

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

92stoccord

Big Member
So I bought my HX in 2010. I asked why the CEL was on, and was told its just an oxygen sensor. I later found out that it was a $350 5 wire wideband oxygen sensor. Fixed it. Check engine light went off. About a month or so later, egr insufficient flow came up. Well I just let it go for a while, and I finally got to fixing it. I had to take apart the egr chamber on my intake. Which meant taking apart my fuel rail and taking the injectors out, which was honestly a good thing, because I got a chance to see just how nasty everything was. The EGR chamber on an HX divides the gas into each cylinder as opposed to some rudimentary systems that only distribute it at the plenum or some such nonsense. I also got a chance to see the effect of running your vehicle with the check engine light on. It ran so rich, and there was so much carbon build up, the egr 'labyrinth' as I called it, was totally full. I had to poke around with a drill bit to find the holes leading to the intake. When I finally found them, I used a shop vac and that drill bit to remove the crud inside.

Shortly after that, I decided to change my timing belt since I had done almost 50,000 miles, and wasn't sure when the last it was changed was. Well I did this right before I left for colorado. (14XX miles 1 way). THE NIGHT BEFORE, my CEL came on for crank sensor. That brings us up to date.

2 or 3 days ago I finally changed it. Pulled the battery cable and reset the codes. Last night, it popped up again. P1491, insufficient EGR lift. $175 for the EGR valve. Putting it on tomorrow. Hopefully this cures my problem.

So I haven't had any troublecodes pop up since I reset them the other day. My shift light seems a bit hesitant at times, but we'll see if it comes back.

Back