advice appreciated

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

vpower

I got a 91si hatch with a b18c and want more power...I am looking at slapping on a jrsc or dropping in a h2b swap, maybe even swapping in a b16b(ctr)...my swap is pretty much stock so I was just wondering your thoughts of pros and cons on the swaps mentioned above, or if u have an idea u got plz lemme know...thanx

GSR is a awesome engine, upgrade valve springs and retainers, toss in some taller cams, arp the rods, mains, head, and add nitrous.

Oh also replace bearings, rings and gaskets.

Should be able to bump HP by 70WHP after what your cams up you, good thing about a gsr is you can rev it pretty high and it keeps making power.

Or turbo it and add 200+ whp lol but spend a lot more

i would stick with the motor you have... swapping motors would not be cost effective considering you already have a good platform to work from. The b16b is definitely out, your GSR motor has just as much, if not more, potential to make power. like magana said, you can build your motor and make around 200whp, or keep the motor stock and install a JRSC and make 250whp and tons of useable torque, or even turbo and should be safe to at least 300-350whp.

@Magana more or less what would I expect to pay for all of that setup except for nitrous...don't want to b squeezing...
Mdpseg thanks for the input

to freshen up the whole motor like magana said would likely run you at least $1k in parts, then if you cant do it all your self, add more for labor. cams and valvetrain alone could cost up to a grand just by themselves depending on what you get. plus you need to think about tuning it, you will need something for that.

a good complete used JRSC kit should cost you around $1000-1400. dont just buy the first one you see for sale, make sure it is complete and legit, or you will have a good time trying to piece it together. i bought one for 900 but it was missing 2 parts, luckily they werent extremely hard to find. jrsc is really fun, your little hatch should be able to see 12s in the quarter pretty easily im thinking. but keep in mind that the power potential is limited with the supercharger to about 250ish, unless you spend more money on a LHT cooler ($1k). i still miss my jrsc setup sometimes, it was nicer and more fun to drive on the street than my turbo setup now.

the third option is turbo... easily make more power than the jrsc on your stock b18c, but to do it right it will probably end up costing you at least 2k in parts.

any of these will require tuning, dont forget about that! do you have a local shop that you deal with already?

I would like to keep it n/a, and are there certain brands I should stick with that are more reliable and better in performance...and I deal with a local shop called Import Life, but nearby my work is Churches Tuning and Westec...

If you build on the econo side and wait for good deals you can build a 200whp engine under 1500. But you talking about a nice n fresh motor.

If you get lucky some people sell s2 pro2 cams for about 300, cast 11.5:1 pistons for 300(or 150 for nippon), supertech springs and retainers for 300, arp stuffs about 200ish, gaskets 200ish (not oem), and bearings 150.

Sometimes you find killer deals on NIB items for dirt cheap. The key is patience.

I have heard that cams are bad for your motor as well...is that true??? And are the s2 pro2 cams the best...I have abt 5K to spend..I'm gonna drop 1500 on paint and body...mind I let you know that the body is not that bad, just a small ding on the driver door...I just want a bad ass paint job...so I have around 3500 to spend on performance...

Is this a good deal

Skunk2 Stage 2 Cams with Focuz Cam Gears (New) $550 OBO

Is this a good deal

Skunk2 Stage 2 Cams with Focuz Cam Gears (New) $550 OBO

Id go with brian crower stage 2 cams / they are good for the street & strip, but you going to need valve springs & retainers. Skunk 2 is also good, but if i were you I would not go with any used stuff.

Thanx psychoRex and those s2 parts were new...and magana I'm trying to stay n/a, but that does still cross my mind from time to time

Back