Advice on Buying Del Sol

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

KyleKidd

Honda Noob
Buying a used Del Sol, Guy claims that the car is putting out 235hp to the wheels with a b16 swap. There is really too much info to put so I'll just link to the expired ebay page. My question is that, he says it has a spring loaded stage 5 clutch and a 7 pound fly wheel. He also says the the spring loaded clutch behaves as a normal DD clutch and is fine for using as a DD. never heard of a spring loaded clutch, what are your opinions? Im looking to buy the car for $4000, sound appropriate?

eBay Motors: Honda : Del Sol (item 230313465591 end time Dec-12-08 16:23:10 PST)

Well if the cars runs I would say that aint a bad deal, now as far as saying it has 235Hp??? I dunno if I would beleive that, I mite beleive like 180 Relm at best, but I don't see anything that says the axel shafts been upgraded mite be a weak point. Also is there anyway u can drive this before you buy it?? something sound fishy about it readding it, i dunno maybe its just me..

hope this kinda helps other then that the car loooks fine, just a B16 w/o turbo lol

im not concerned about if hes legit or not, im wondering if hes right in saying a spring loaded stage five clutch would be equal to a normal DD clutch, and i've never even heard of a spring loaded clutch.

im not concerned about if hes legit or not, im wondering if hes right in saying a spring loaded stage five clutch would be equal to a normal DD clutch, and i've never even heard of a spring loaded clutch.

No Offence why are u not concerned about if its legit or not? so you would buy a car someone stole, or a car someone Jerry Rigged and could have went online listed a bunch of Catchy Honda parts for a B16A1 motor and said it had it in it, when indeed you could be buying an almost stock Sol with a B16 swap? Make about as much seance as burning money...lol

1.jpg

sprung hub

urug1.jpg

unsprung

notice the difference

No Offence why are u not concerned about if its legit or not? so you would buy a car someone stole, or a car someone Jerry Rigged and could have went online listed a bunch of Catchy Honda parts for a B16A1 motor and said it had it in it, when indeed you could be buying an almost stock Sol with a B16 swap? Make about as much seance as burning money...lol

not what i meant, i am concerned if the car is stolen or something. I know how to deal with eBay but I'm just curious about the guys technical information about the car. I wouldn't just go and buy the car without driving it either. But I'd have to travel all the way to Massachusetts to check the car out and I'm wondering if it is even worth it. It sounds to me like hes selling a car meant to be a drag car or race car. Then hes claiming the car is ok for DD. The stage 5 clutch has me thinking this so i adressed him on it and he said it was "spring loaded" anyone ever heard of this? Wuold that make a stage five clutch ok as a DD? Also a 7 pound fly wheel is light. Anyone know if this guy is makeing sence or not?

well a stage 5 clutch would be rated to hold about 4 time the amount of torque that a straight ls/vtec will put out. dosen't sound right.

that's what i thought, why a stage 5 with the power its putting out?

He could have gotten a awesome deal on it, also Maybe he thought it was a race car. A lighter Flywheel means quicker acl and decl...and maybe he just wantted to get the most out of the Motor, who knows. I can tell you im driven around an almost stock D15B V-Tec with a stage 3 clutch for a DD is fine! :p so idk the clutch sounds fine, mite grab like a mofo but meh ya get what ya paid for!

235 is a pretty high number for an LSV. Even with a tune. And all the work he has listed shows it was in the top end--did he neglect the bottom end?

235 is a pretty high number for an LSV. Even with a tune. And all the work he has listed shows it was in the top end--did he neglect the bottom end?

i have no idea. but all in all, if everything he said is correct, is the car worth 4 grand?

Provided the motor was built right and has everything he says it does, then that is a fair price for the vehicle IMO. And if the body is in good shape with no hidden damage, then probably.

With all that, 4 grand is a great deal.

But he is full of shit. An unboosted LS/V isn't going to put 235 to the wheels.

And a few oddball comments, he has no idea what he's talking about:

B18a1 "bulletproof block".. What?!

"50lb pressure plate"

There is no "stage 5" ACT clutch. Not specifically, anyway. And if there is a real race clutch and 7 pound flywheel in it, its not going to be fun to daily.

"Brembo brakes and calipers".. umm.. ok. Could he have just said brembo brakes? and the only pic where you can kinda see a caliper, it looks like a rust colored stocker.. But its a shitty pic, so who knows.

the guy claims to be an import tuner that was featured in some kind of magazine. anyone ever hear about that? idk about the pressure plate. if i bought it and decided to put like a stage 2 or 3 in how much would that go for ya think? if i did labor myself

im calling bullshit. he says it has a short ram intake and dc header? look at the picture. it has the stock intake and looks like an ebay header to me

if you are planning to to DD it, you'd really want to check the roof seals, getting dripped on is when it rains way too annoying.

otherwise it looks really nice, minus the ricer tails, his reserve on E-bay said $3200, where'd $4K come from?

also you get a better impression of the guy face to face than over the phone, I would go check it out with $3k in my pocket and if you come home without it means you can find a better deal elsewhere.

Dude this car sounds like a head ace ya don't want, I would seriously look other places if you got 4k sitting around, there are alot better shape Sol's with less headaces out there, the car is nice, but looks can be deseving! my thought u should start a poll, 2 by or not 2, I say NOT!

pass on this one buddy. it's not worth it. you can find stock b16 del sols for that much. and they would be way more reliable.

235 isnt' going to happen on that build. and anybody hypes something that much, is trying to pass off a shitty build or something.

Back