aereo killed by the court :(

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I think a lot of people don't even know about aereo. It's really a cool service for folks that are "cord cutters" if you will. If and when my satellite tv service gets above 30 bucks a month I will cancel, but I just can't beat the convenience right now. That's 4 hdtv's and whole home dvr service. Hulu/netflix/amazon prime etc wouldn't really be much cheaper, if any. Throw in MLB.tv so I can watch my local baseball team and I'd be spending more than I am now.

I really hope services like Aereo find their niche, and I've heard a few rumblings that they may partner with the big 4 networks, but nothing concrete.

Whats the difference between this service and something like Hulu/Netflix? seems like they do the same thing?

H/N are licensed to do so... they BUY the content. Aereo does not... simply re-broadcasts it.
Their stance was that "anyone can pick it up over the air for free anyway" so why can't "we capture it over the air and then steam it over the wire for free too"?

court said no.

Main difference being you still need a cablecard from your cable provider to use that. Aereo is/was a streaming only service that captured OTA transmissions and rebroadcast it. The were acting as the dvr more or less. The networks don't care about dvr usage, as long as they get their slice of the revenue pie. Aereo was keeping it all to themselves.

Main difference being you still need a cablecard from your cable provider to use that. Aereo is/was a streaming only service that captured OTA transmissions and rebroadcast it. The were acting as the dvr more or less. The networks don't care about dvr usage, as long as they get their slice of the revenue pie. Aereo was keeping it all to themselves.

That receiver doesn't "require" a cablecard, I had one. You can put one in it if you have one.

My bad. I overlooked the RF input.

How'd you like it?

It works, heh. My complaint is that it doesn't run on my linux workstation, but I can run an android vm on it and the client runs fine.

it's local though... you already paid some how to get it to your house via a licensed broadcast

Yep, that's the kicker. You pay to get radiated with around a megawatt of ERP every day

Aren't you guys close enough to your local broadcasters to pick it up with "rabbit ears" so to speak. I can get about 22 OTA broadcast channels. A lot of it is garbage, but I get 3 of the big 4 and PBS. The local fox affiliate doesn't have a strong enough signal.

Yes, but that takes hardware, mouting it in an attic, etc etc, instead of just navigating to site.com

Not necessarily. Here's mine. Don't even notice it's there if the dog is laying on her bed.

Attachments

• IMAG0222.jpg
    IMAG0222.jpg
    409.5 KB · Views: 277
honestly, the price of cable isn't a big deal to me... bundeled with my internet package, it's only about $15 more. It's these damn boxes (3x$10) and hd service ($10) upgrades that add up to 40% of the bill.

Full disclosure, it's not an actual OTA antenna. It's a spare UHF remote antenna a friend of mine who installs dish had. I just threw it on there to see what happened. It'll pick up fm radio as well. In reality any piece of metal will act as an antenna. You could use a stripped back piece of coax and the copper conductor will get you something, it's just hard to point it directionally.

At one point I had gone up into the attic and installed a powered antenna, and the results were not any better than that little thing, so I took it back out.

As far as the fees, yeah it's crazy.But that's where they make their profits. I pay a 12 whole home dvr fee, 2*7 for the small boxes, and 17 for my second "hopper". In actuality I pay more in fees than for programming, although with all the credits and such I have the bill is only around 30 bucks.

For the amount of tv we watch I will either be cancelling in March when the credits are up, or scaling back on equipment and getting a couple rokus or something.

Back