air cylinders or performace suspension

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

CRXracerCRX

not sure what to do here i want to have the airride but will it perform the way i'll need it to for the track or street racing if not can i get it to handle well enough with rigidity items (strut bars etc.) people tell me you can have show or performance but not both is there such a thing as a happy medium in this subject

on a crx bwahahahaha :puke: :lmao: first your gonna run into space issues(bags will not fit) and cylinders dont fit very well. lastly the ride achieved from cylinders or bags is SHIT. you hit a bump and bounce for 30 minutes.....there is no way you could ever hope to have any decent amount of handling.

.....no

there is a medium between performance and show.

you can put a bodykit on it if you want...rice the interior all you want some 16's if you want that BLING. And then put a GSR-T in it and some tein coilovers. Then the only thing non tasteful is the rice and bodykit.

Sorry, I just don't see why anyone would want to bag their CRX. It would be completely retarded...If I was a judge at a show I would deduct points just because you wasted your money. Now if it was a bagged S-10 that's different

Strut bars don't really do shit for handling, and only add a slight amount of stiffness. Swaybars defently help, but you need the proper dampers and spring rates, which you can't get out of air bags.

If you want to have a car that will ride like shit, handle like shit, weigh a shit load, then by all means, go with airbags.

If you want a car that handles well, buy quality suspension components.

Originally posted by CRXracerCRX@May 13 2005, 12:17 AM
not sure what to do here i want to have the airride but will it perform the way i'll need it to for the track or street racing if not can i get it to handle well enough with rigidity items (strut bars etc.) people tell me you can have show or performance but not both is there such a thing as a happy medium in this subject
[post=498741]Quoted post[/post]​

See my sig for further info.

i wouldn't try to put bags on it just cylinders and i've never been in a car with cylinders that bounced and what about acumulators?

I believe Sport Compact Car worked with the prototype Praxxis air suspension (effectively air struts). It worked well in theory - lots of travel on gravel - slam it for tarmac. In reality though, spring rates from airbags were too hard to calculate, and different modes changed them all the same. They used it for about 6 months on their project STI - then switched the HKS Hipermax.

Good idea? Perhaps. But getting it to work well would take a lot of time and $$$. Want adaptive suspension? Buy a set of GM electromagnetic dampers (dampers with the magnetically-manipulatve goo inside - used on Corvette and Cadilacs).

well i'd only be using the car for drag racing that what people do where i'm from but anyways i think i have decided to go ahead and use em but i do thank you all for your advise

for drag racing? Air cylinders will suck. They weigh too much, and you will not beable to acheive the right ballance for launches.

well i'm not seeing any recommendations i'm just getting don't do it what should i be running then? btw i found an airride system that will weigh less than 40lbs so i'm not seeing why it would be to heavy

switches are for bitches.

if you want air ride, get air ride, but you're on the wrong site for that ricer bullshit. try superhonda

go for it man, do what you want.

people on here just dont like that kind of stuff.

ive seen plenty of cars running low 13's on air ride systems and thats faster then most of the people who have posted in this thread ;)

that being said, i decided against it.

i got neuspeed race springs and kyb gr2 shocks. about a 2.5" drop. rides like stock. and got all of it brand new off ebay for around 350.

the adjustability would be nice though, only a 2.5" drop and ive bottomed out on a few speed bumps (airport speed bumps are a bitch). when i say bottom out i mean my dc header is scraping the cement, but then again i think it sits a little lower then stock.

Originally posted by brc80+May 13 2005, 12:37 PM-->
CRXracerCRX
@May 13 2005, 12:17 AM
[post=498741]Quoted post[/post]​

See my sig for further info.
[post=498849]Quoted post[/post]​

lol nice quote from fast and furious I love that movie lol!

If you just doing this for drag racing, even nuespeed race is the wrong choice in suspension. If your really into drag racing, you want something that is EXTERMLY stiff in the rear and very soft in the front. There are alot of drag racing gear setups that you can buy, including a cheap option from Skunk2 Racing. Other things to consider would be traction bar setup, LSD, and then drag slicks. With the right suspension setup, ALOT of time can be shaved off.

well if i want stiff in the rear and soft in the front than it sounds to me like air ride is the way to go i'm not sure why people have a problem with it and call it "ricer bullshit" i'm not a ricer i'm a minitrucker that bought a crx and being that it's the lightest platform honda has ever made i would like to race it but i also want it to look sweet basiclly i want a fast show car and if that makes me a ricer then so be it i really don't give a shit about other peoples opinion of me or my car i was just looking for advise i never asked to be called a bitch or a ricer but what ever

the crx is not the lightest honda ever made.... but whatever.

fact is, you CANT do both.

think of it like bicycles.

you have your road bikes with skinny tires.
you have your mtb bikes with fat knobbies.

takea road bike in the sand, and you're not going anywhere.
take a mtn. bike on a 50 miler and you'll be slow and heavy.

so what do they do? they make a "hybrid" bike... kinda upright, but geared in between both bikes, and a medium sized semi-knobby tire.
now, this bike can do both on road, and off road.
but the end result, is that it does NEITHER as good as the spec'ed bike does.

if you want a show car, build a show car.
if you want a race car, build a race car.

if you want a race car that looks "hot", it will never happen. and it won't look hot when the paint starts to chip, and molten rubber starts to build up...

no ones judging you-- just make a valid decision.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jun 2 2005, 05:05 PM
if you want a race car that looks "hot", it will never happen. and it won't look hot when the paint starts to chip, and molten rubber starts to build up...
[post=506926]Quoted post[/post]​

nah,
12.jpg

one of the first k20EG's ever
9.jpg

4.jpg

These cars are SEXY. Molten rubber adds to the effects

Back