AN Hardware??

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

AN stuff is aircraft grade hardware, there is no real brand name or anything to them. I know AN hardware is used in racing alot for braided hoses and stuff like that, but i was thinking about using AN bolts and nuts for head bolts and rod studs. Does anyone know a tensile strength associated with any of the APR hardware? Cause I think AN stuff is about the best you can get and id like to compare some common pieces of the two and see who comes out on top.

Originally posted by Canuck 93 Civic Si@Jan 30 2003, 05:31 PM
AN stuff is aircraft grade hardware, there is no real brand name or anything to them. I know AN hardware is used in racing alot for braided hoses and stuff like that, but i was thinking about using AN bolts and nuts for head bolts and rod studs. Does anyone know a tensile strength associated with any of the APR hardware? Cause I think AN stuff is about the best you can get and id like to compare some common pieces of the two and see who comes out on top.

Well if it works for Aircraft I'm sure it will work for your sub-mach honda.

Whats the price difference?
What is the availability like?
Do they make applications for things like hondas?

my buddy works as a cetifeid airframe tech and an shit is very privcey it all has batch numbers and expirey dates and is certifeid so it costs alot the bolts are strong so are the other pieces but why spen 40 dollars on a bolt that is capable of being torqd to 200000lbs when you only need to go to 65-75lbs?

Its not the torque that im concerned about, the tensile strength of the fastener is what denotes the amount of stress it can be put under before it breaks. The batch numbers that are associated with an stuff is there so that you can trace any nut, bolt or rivet back to when it was taken out of the ground as raw meterial and formed into a fastener. That way if anything is found to be faulty with any fasteners from a certain batch, they can be recalled and replace. I just figure, if you spend a ton of money on a good engine setup, shouldnt you hold it all together with some good stuff too? I know it is more expensive to use then honda stuff but it doesnt cost $40 per bolt

BTW Where does your buddy work? Im in school right now to get my aircraft maintenance licence and i dont know where i want to work when im done.

he works for feild aviation in calgary alta canada he is right now over seas in pakistan to bring back a dc 10 that sume dumb ass pilot ripped half the wing off? HAHAHA
and ya it does cost a crap load more for an so why use it use grade 8 hardware and it will last foreva
and I have used AN it works but it hard to get and costly unless you get old batches of stuff

You can look here to find AN hardware - Aircraft Spruce - it has certain uses in automotive build, but it is definitely not because it is extremely high strenght material. It had the advantage of having specific know thread length, body length along with the body dimension being tighly controlled.

You generally use them in an application where you are counting on using the bolt in shear...for instance, I use them to pass through my upright and through a spherical bearing on my racecar. I need a tight fit (as I am replacing a typical ball joint) so the tight bolt diameter is a must, and I need a specific body length and thread length so I know that I have no threads inside the bearing or upright to weaken the bolt in that area.

Kirk

Thanks Kirk

I used to have an Aircraft Spruce catalogue laying around but i couldnt find it so i checked thier website and found that head bolts for my engine would cost about $2.15 cdn each.

For engine internals, do you think AN hardware is just not necessary or not suited for the application.

Hmmm feild aviation... ive heard the name before i just cant remember where.

You can order an fittings from a lot of places I think one of the companys Holley owns sells them. Unless your running some sick setup reg npt fittings are fine, as far as the rest of your hardware a lot of ARP's stuff is aircraft grade steel.

A grade 8 fastner has a tensile strength that is beyond suitable for every day use as well as after market parts. ARP would be the way to go.
as far as using "AN" hardware (which I've only known to be the actual type of fitting) is pointles on a car and waste of $$ IMHO

so when a grade 8 can do the job, why would anyone working on a car spend triple the amount on a fastner.

also you don't need to torque a bolt in place beyond the manufacturers recommendations.
Think about it an engineer designed the car, he did the sums and has found suitale harware to do the job.

unless you really think beyond a questionable doubt that the honda engineer fucked up.
then sit back grab out your favorite notebook. and set up the statics problem and do the sums.
and if you're real daring do it as a dynamic problem. You'll just end up varifing you don't need to spend
ungogly amounts of money on a bolt.

The only reason I can even come close to thinking of that would benifit you is if the bolt was able to perform the same duty and was massless.
now that would be the perfect fastner. a bolt with no weight to add to the car.

I would not use AN fasteners for motor applications - read this: ARP vs. AN - as I stated, AN fasteners can have specifis applications in cars, but I have never seen one where it would be proper usage in a motor.

Kirk

I agree - AN fittings are the only way to go for lines and hoses...AN bolts I will only use in very special applications.

Kirk

Back