Another Build Advice Thread - 97 EK Coupe Time Attack Build

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

CoopRacing

Hello All! This is my first post here, so please forgive me if I am ignorant to some things. I recently purchased a EK Coupe. I have been attempting to do research on what my best options are, but I'm at a bit of a dead end. also, money is not an issue, I want to build this car properly, and fast.

For starters, I want to reliably have 450-500 hp, And I want to be able to tune boost to each gear so I can play on the roads some with it (in Mexico of course). I have been thinking a B18C1 with built internals and a nice turbo setup, but what combos work well (also if you know of any existing threads that are what I need send those links my way)? another issue I have found is actually finding a decent place to fairly easily purchase a decent motor to build. Transmissions are another point, as I want it to be able to take the abuse it will go through

Second is my chassis. I want it to have good grip, and I'm not afraid to have to widen the front, and I understand that a 275-85 would take that power fairly well? If so, What sizes would y'all recommend? Also suspension, bracing, camber kits, etc etc, I want to know it all, what works and what doesn't. My biggest point is I want it to be grippy and have great turning/handling.

I tried to be as detailed as I could on the most pressing issues at this time. I understand there are tons of threads and records, and if anything else I hope you guys can at least start off buy pointing me in the right direction so that I can get this thing going and on a track laying down lap times asap!

Thanks again in advance!

The first question I have is, do you want to go fast going straight or do you want to go fast turning?

IMHO, you'll have more fun building a car with 250 hp that can turn than building a 500 hp honda that only goes straight. Honestly, you can't really have both, they're wildly different cars. If you can, try to find someone with a 500 hp honda. If it's street legal (which it's probably not), it's nearly unbearable as a daily driver.

Especially if this is your first build, I'd start with a b18c engine, an ITR transmission, and some good tires and brakes. Get the feel of a 180 hp car and build from there. You won't have to rebuy much as it's a great engine to turbo later on.

The first question I have is, do you want to go fast going straight or do you want to go fast turning?

IMHO, you'll have more fun building a car with 250 hp that can turn than building a 500 hp honda that only goes straight. Honestly, you can't really have both, they're wildly different cars. If you can, try to find someone with a 500 hp honda. If it's street legal (which it's probably not), it's nearly unbearable as a daily driver.

Especially if this is your first build, I'd start with a b18c engine, an ITR transmission, and some good tires and brakes. Get the feel of a 180 hp car and build from there. You won't have to rebuy much as it's a great engine to turbo later on.

Thanks for the feedback! This car is gonna be a trailer queen/street toy, I just want to not have to worry about throwing a rod under boost or something( I already have a daily as well). This also isn't my first build, but it is my first civic, and thats why I wanted to come here. I know 500hp is A LOT for a small cars like these, but thats why I would like to be able to adjust my boost per gear, so that I can tune it down some in lower gears and make it handle very well, but in 4th I could turn the boost up to hit that 500hp mark.

I also would work into high boost, so I will have the ability to start slow and slowly work my way into the higher numbers.

At least thats the plan anyways. Also would you know of any good places to start looking for a b18c?

At least thats the plan anyways. Also would you know of any good places to start looking for a b18c?

It depends on your location and what your network of shops and car builders is. If you know someone local, you can shop around for an engine that was built and part of a car that was crashed or a scrapped project. but then you have to know exactly what you're getting. If you going for 500 hp, you're still going to want to tear down the engine and verify the internals are actually what was listed, check the quality of turbos, etc.

One option is to look for a high mileage integra GSR that someone is selling or check auctions and junkyards. I'd probably just buy a whole car if I could. You can take one you need then part out the rest. A scrapped GSR might be found for under $2k. Take the swap, then part out the rest of the car for $1,000. You have your whole swap for under $1,000.

Auction GSR example: http://www.2040-cars.com/acura/Integra/1998-acura-integra-gsr-wrecked-project-damaged-gsr-291175/

Ebay auction, $1995 OBO: You could sell the 4 doors and the wheels and tires for probably $800 total. Then the interior for another $200. Bumpers, headlights, fenders, cluster, etc. for another $200-$400. You'll just have to strip the engine and everything before rebuilding. Plus you can finance it for $96/month!!! https://www.ebay.com/itm/94-95-Acur...bf71b77:g:J-UAAOSwCtJaTPZ8:rk:1:pf:0#viTabs_0

Another ebay auction, $990: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Engine-1-8...:Acura&hash=item4428f8cd55:g:Se8AAOSwOrpbq53i

Wrecked (older listing) $2,000: https://honda-tech.com/forums/vehicles-sale-42/wrecked-2000-integra-gsr-3202606/

Another option to consider is buying a whole front clip from an importer. You can get the front end and just sell the body parts for roughly $1,000. http://vimont.canadianlisted.com/ca...-b18c-engine-transmission-canada_3896498.html

Finally, if you're just looking for an engine, I'd try to find a local importer. I'm not sure where you are located, but you might be able to find an engine swap, and they'll likely warranty the engine. I haven't bought an engine lately, but as far as online sales, one of the most reputable companies over the last 15 years is https://www.hmotorsonline.com/

A - EK Coupes never came to the US
B - "Time-Attack / Autocross cars" have NOWHERE NEAR 450-500 CHP much less WHP
C - Welcome to Hondaswap
D - We dont tolerate dumb ish here and arent going to sit here and talk homes and dreams
E - Post up some pics of that thang !
F - be realistic, stay within your budget and let the project evolve from here (if you had the $$$ to drop on a 500hp time attack car you wouldnt have bought a 90s civic in the first place) , Id start off with the common stuff wheels/tires/suspension and go from there, A 250 WHP honda is balls fast for most driving conditions and will beat up on alot of stuff unless you want to do high speed highway pulls (which isnt a time attack car) . Also we dont need to sit here and hold your hand on what parts to buy etc this stuff has been covered for decades and theres forum upon forum and page upon page of build threads on the internet but heres rule of thumb ... if you buy cheap shit its going to work like cheap shit and generally speaking long as you stay buying new from a nice name brand company its probably going to be finel.

soo now thats out of the way im glad you are here and would like to see some pics of your project ! its nice to have pictures posted from day 1 soo you can see the project evolve etc. Soo how much of a budget do you have for parts RIGHT NOW and we will see what you will see best bang for buck investment in

You say money is not an issue - but it is for everyone. If money is not an issue, just buy a 911 GT3 RS and have a kick ass life!

Reality is, if you really want a reliable 500+ car, you're going to spend 25-30k.
Can you do it for 5? sure. maybe even 3.

but if you want to put 50-100k miles on it, you're going to spend money, and spend over and over again as things break.

Back