Any 24 Hours of LeMons Racers Here?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

LowFlyin'

Lurker
I got started the end of 2011 and raced 4 races in 2012.

Great racing and the participants are a solid group of car enthusiasts. ...they don't like Hondas, BMWs, and Miatas very much though. :rimshot:

So, my friends and I built a Miata and a ED9 Hatch. :)

MillsTWSFrontStraightFlag.jpg

W-Tape-RatECR4_zps7e198b2b.jpg

Close up of the CTR badge >

IMAG0240.jpg

It is cheap racing...but don't be surprised if your first couple of races don't feel so cheap. Building the car takes time and money. Look at spending about $3000-4000 to get a car prepped for the race. $500 max purchase price for the car and $2500-3500 for safety items (brakes, wheels/tires, fire, roll cage, etc) that are excluded from the $500 budget for the car.

The Spec Pinata at TWS - Chasing #35 240Z in #996 Spec Piñata at LeMons TWS 02/12/2012 - YouTube

The Tape-R at ECR - 122912 1013-1029 - YouTube

If you guys have any questions...please ask!

$500 for the initial purchase of the car? Are you allowed performance upgrades or fix something that was broken on the car when you bought it? $500 cars around here MIGHT be an old Dodge Spirit or something.

$500 is the budget for the car. Performance and the car running falls under the budget.

Safety items (roll cage, seat, steering wheel, radios, fire extinguisher, etc) are not a part of that budget. Wheels, Tires (>190TW), brakes, header back exhaust, wheel bearings, etc are free. Yes, that means you could put a $3000 Brembo BBK on there if you wanted.

Suspension components, sway bars, turbos, intakes, LSD are considered part of the budget.

If a non-safety or free item requires repair/replacement, that is considered in the budget (blown engine, bad trans, etc)

You can sell parts off the car to offset the price. $2000 Audi - $1500 in parts sold off it = $500 Audi

...and don't forget that you can bribe the judges. :)

I guess you could also have the bill of sale say that you paid $1 for the car.

Here in NJ, any decent performance(and I use that term loosely) car that runs and drives will bring in $1000. Hell, under $1000 you're looking into old trucks or cars with problems.

Still an awesome concept though. I'd love to get into it.

You could always do an arrive and drive for an established team. :)

Performance cars don't really fall within the scope of LeMons. That's why the Miata and the E30 are hated so much.

There are different classes. Class A, B, C. Also the coveted Index of Effluency (IOE) award for the car/team that should be the least likely to perform/finish the race.

Last edited:
love lemons. never had a chance to run though.

awptickes has i'm sure he will see this sooner than later.

You could always do an arrive and drive for an established team. :)

Performance cars don't really fall within the scope of LeMons. That's why the Miata and the E30 are hated so much.

There are different classes. Class A, B, C. Also the coveted Index of Effluency (IOE) award for the car/team that should be the least likely to perform/finish the race.
What cars are most common?

Ran for a few years, haven't been since August of 2011.

We run a 1970's Datsun 240sx.

282144_2334187671045_1619118_n.jpg

Love the "You are not good enough to get angry!" on the Pinata. :thumbsup:

Love the "You are not good enough to get angry!" on the Pinata. :thumbsup:

In a later video we added some stuff to the "center console" with duct tape and it said "you are enough to get angry"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kE6btiWyt5U?start=7m30s

My friend Mike was driving the Piñata, I was in the Tape-R.

That was a crazy race. Full 24 hour race and we didn't have enough time to get the dash and gauge pod mounted before it was time to leave. When we got to the track it was discovered the dash (with the cluster attached) was left in the shop. Ran the whole race with no gauge cluster (RPM, engine temp, fuel level)! lol

Last edited:
Here is a good article from the Jalopnik archives > The 24 Hours Of LeMons N00b's Race Car Selection Guide

E30's, Miatas, and Hondas are probably the most prevalent. The SHO Taurus made a decent showing a couple years ago. BMW 3-series, both E30 and E36.

These won't be popular with the Judges and most of them will be classed in A.
Nice link. So how do you go about actually buying one for so cheap? Check CL every day? Find something that's all or mostly there at the junkyard and get it running?

In a later video we added some stuff to the "center console" with duct tape and it said "you are enough to get angry"

That was a crazy race. Full 24 hour race and we didn't have enough time to get the dash and gauge pod mounted before it was time to leave. When we got to the track it was discovered the dash (with the cluster attached) was left in the shop. Ran the whole race with no gauge cluster (RPM, engine temp, fuel level)! lol
LOL, the true spirit of LeMons. This kind of stuff is why I love the series so much. Half-assery is expected and really makes for fun times!

Our last race we had to do an engine swap in the paddock between days, to have the 2nd engine let go 20 minutes before the end on the 2nd day. However, that night of drinking far too many beers all night long while swapping in a junk yard motor into a POS car with other drunks standing around was part of the fun. I need to start running this series again!

the overall lack of money from everyone makes it tough.

then there's the logisitics of who has the truck, the trailer, and who stores the pos for the other 363 days of the year.

Back