any IT majors here?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Deaths Sentry

Hey, I'm just trying to get a general idea of what field of IT you majored in?... I just wanted to know because this fall I'll be attending ITT-Tech or NVCC and I am still deciding on exactly what I wanted to do. I've narrowed it down to three choices though so I am making progress :) anyways does anyone know what the job outlook for these 3 fields might be like in the future?

[no particular order]
1. Network Administration
2. Game Programmer/Designer
3. Unix System Administration

Also for you guys that didnt major in IT, what did you pick to major in and why?

And I just wanted to thank everyone that posted helpful information :worthy:

i went to school for network administration... but i ended up being a programmer. go figure.

IMO, you have to be the BEST to be a network guy, else you're stuck doing $12/hr help desk bullshit. there's bank in it-- most make 80k.
but its also a bitch position-- 3am installs, 2am phone calls cuz something crashes, weekend stuff... and the worst part, dealing with the phone companies for the T's, DS3's, etc... what a pain they are.

unix is dead. i would say less than .5% of all companies still have a unix frige. linux has pretty much replaced it. and while it may be close, its still night and day. i'd pass that one up.
but, there could be bank in it too- theres not many people who know it. but finding a job is going to be tough.

game design can be fun and cool... but i have NEVER seen a job posted for a company looking for one. there's what, like 10 main game companies? and most are over-seas. you're future with this path could lead to you become the new StrongBad, in other words, making flash cartoons for free because you can't find a job.

If i had to do it again, I would go for the MIS path instead of the IT path.
theres 2341232 kids coming out in the it path, making job hunting tough, and wages low.
but managers and business folk with a technical background are in high demand. IT project mangers make bank, don't have the 3am bullshit, and there's jobs everywhere.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jun 10 2005, 08:54 AM

If i had to do it again, I would go for the MIS path instead of the IT path.
theres 2341232 kids coming out in the it path, making job hunting tough, and wages low.
but managers and business folk with a technical background are in high demand. IT project mangers make bank, don't have the 3am bullshit, and there's jobs everywhere.
[post=510573]Quoted post[/post]​

I did something right in my life :)

w00t!

That's what sucks about life anymore. I enjoy building computers, putting things together, building networks, doing the ground-level stuff, but jobs are really scarce because there are 21335852475 people in the field now. Another problem is, any jackass that can remember what color is what can do it. I really hate coding. I don't have the brain for it.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jun 10 2005, 08:54 AM

game design can be fun and cool... but i have NEVER seen a job posted for a company looking for one. there's what, like 10 main game companies? and most are over-seas. you're future with this path could lead to you become the new StrongBad, in other words, making flash cartoons for free because you can't find a job.

[post=510573]Quoted post[/post]​

Now that I've thought about it, thats true. I figured I wanted to do game programming/design for the sole purpose of one day being able to work for Blizzard Entertainment or Sony Online Entertainment. :lol:

what you said helped really helped a lot, thanks

I never went to school for IT, and I couldn't imagine actually doing so. By the time your creditted class is over, the subject matter is outdated and you along with it. How many people have degrees in Novell, SMS admin or X.25 / AS400 sciences ?

Prolly lots.

-> Steve

Back