Any scooter owners?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

FLounder

power hungry
VIP
I have been looking at buying scooter for a while now, and researching the options. If anyone has any real world feedback, that would be cool.

So what im looking at is 125-150cc models, because that's what I feel would fit my needs best. Of course buying one of those new little Honda Groms would be bad ass, but $3k+ is steep. The area around where I live is mostly 35mph speed limits with the occasional 45mph. Lots of lights and stop and go.

What I have seen is there are many Chinese scooters, and apparently the best ones use the GY6 motors (that are apparently a Honda design). I can find lightly used Chinese scooters for $500-1000 depending on year, model, miles, condition. Is it worth stepping up and looking at the Honda and Yamaha models? They draw about twice the money. The Yamaha vino looks pretty cool... any input? or am I the only lame ass that wants a scooter?

First off anyone who answers yes is clearly gay.

Why not just get a cheap motorcycle? Guy on another forum has a sv650 with stupid low miles for like $1400

Why someone would get a scooter over that... I have no idea.

Chinese scooter wipeout at MSR Cresson - YouTube

Generic off-brand Chinese 100cc or so scooter, GY6 sounds familiar and I kinda think that's the motor it had. I got that bitch not-running for free, fixed it with no expense other than time, and spent about $200 getting 'race' (lol) engine parts from eBay. Used to have a video of it doing 90 out in Oklahoma on the way to a race, but lost it during a tragic 'got pissed off and threw my laptop at the wall and broke the hard drive' incident.

Edit: It was relatively reliable, but I wouldn't have wanted to drive it on the street as a regular commuter...I've played with a few other knockoff Chinese models, and they're all a sort of 'you get what you pay for' kinda deal. Great to use as a pitbike or a plaything, but 'meh' for anything else.

Ruckus or a Grom. I've ridden both, promise you they're worth the extra coin.

Last edited:
Ive got a hot wife, who cares how gay scooters look. im looking for easy, comfortable (my back sucks), economical, and some amount of fun. The area where I live is crawling with scooters, its not like I would stand out as the one dork with a scooter.

I have considered a small real motorcycle, but im a speed freak. I have never ridden any type of bike on the street, but im sure once I got comfortable it could get dangerous. I used to ride dirt bikes and 4 wheelers a lot, and was always the one to push it and eat shit and hurt myself. The roads in south FL suck for a real bike anyways. super flat, super straight, often bumpy, and lots of redlights, its just a big grid.

Get a Honda Ruckus w/ GY6 150cc swap

negative, the ruckus is not comfortable at all. im 6'1" and comfort is important. plus a swapped ruckus is expensive, fuck that, id just buy a grom. hell I might just end up buying a grom lol.

I have considered a small real motorcycle, but im a speed freak. I have never ridden any type of bike on the street, but im sure once I got comfortable it could get dangerous. I used to ride dirt bikes and 4 wheelers a lot, and was always the one to push it and eat shit and hurt myself. The roads in south FL suck for a real bike anyways. super flat, super straight, often bumpy, and lots of redlights, its just a big grid.

Dangerous is when you're riding something that can't get out of its own way on public roads with other cars.

I've never been worried about wrecking my sport bikes due to speed. It's always been some asshat who wants to try and take me out.

If worried about speed, get a cruiser.

negative, the ruckus is not comfortable at all. im 6'1" and comfort is important. plus a swapped ruckus is expensive, fuck that, id just buy a grom. hell I might just end up buying a grom lol.

Nah, screw a GY6. Burgman swap a Ruckus. :thumbsup: :calban:

they do make small engine motorcycles that are fun and not gay like scooters. like a wr250x.

probably won't do much more than 80 so the speed nut in you will keep you alive. friend has one and loves it.

Yeah those are cool, but expensive and uncommon. Other than scooters looking lame, I'm more worried that I will be bored with the auto/cvt transmissions they use. Once my integra sells I'm going to start looking harder at small bikes. I just don't want a sport bike, I'm too tall for a 250 sport bike and the seating position sucks for my bad back.

Back