Anyone ever heard of this?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

JimJewy

The paint around my Ractive muffler on my rear bumper is cracking and flaking. It is only on the lower lip of the rear bumper. The rest of the paint is fine. The bumper itself has nothing wrong with it. I am trying to find out why or if anyone has had the problem because i hav ebeen bumped in the parking lot and I want my insureance to pay for it.

there is half an inch between the bumper and the muffler. It is the stock paint. I am hoping to put a body kit on and new paint this spring. But if the muffler is the reason then i should replace it before getting a new kit.

It could very well be your muffler heat. Another suggestion is possibly the condensation from your pipe at startup will trickle down the muffler and land on the bumper area. I had this problem before, when the water trickles down, then the muffler heats it up. I don't know if they're any good or not, but I have been seing these metal protector peices that go above and below your muffler. I think they just stick on using adhesive, but IMO that would probably be just as bad as the original problem. Seems to me that the protector would trap water also unless it was a tightly sealed. Not sure if it helped, just a suggestion. Good luck :)

Back