Anyone Ever Used These Shocks? Reviews?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

BrutalB83

Brutal Moderator
VIP
http://www.meganracing.com/product_detail.asp?prodid=1862&catid=103
http://www.meganracing.com/product_detail.asp?prodid=1863&catid=103

This is for my daily driver Civic with 200k miles on it, so top performance or quality is not needed, but at the same time, I really don't want to go with the cheapest bullshit that's on Ebay either (Stagg, etc.). Whatever I go with will be paired with Eibach Pro Kit springs or H&Rs.

I was thinking about the KYB Excels, but it looks like those Megan ones come with the dust guards. They also have kits with the mounts and all the hardware that's needed:

http://www.meganracing.com/product_detail.asp?prodid=1854&catid=104
http://www.meganracing.com/product_detail.asp?prodid=1855&catid=104

I'm tempted by these because I could just get my springs and assemble the units without having to tear apart my current units to scavenge all the dust covers and hardware. This way I would have fresh shocks, springs, and mounts, easier install, and for a relatively decent price.

I've used Megan's stuff before and I've been pretty satisfied with it versus the price. Yes, it is cheap stuff, but it's the best of the cheaper stuff in my opinion. Last time I used was back in 2010ish though, so if anyone has recent experience, please let me know...

ive had alot of megan racing stuff and all has been decent quality stuff without issue

Yeah, I've never had any issues either. Like I said, it's been some years though. Not sure if the quality might have taken a dip. That happens sometimes with manufacturers after they've established themselves...COUGH...Skunk2...COUGH...

My non adjustable KYB shocks didn't hold up very long. Dropped 2.25+ inches. But they were cheap.

Good to know. The springs I'm looking at are only like a 1.5" drop, so probably wouldn't stress the shocks as much, but still, those Megan shocks look like they're made to be used with lowering springs, so I'm thinking I'll give them a try.

Thanks, bros.

My non adjustable KYB shocks didn't hold up very long. Dropped 2.25+ inches. But they were cheap.

they aren't made to be run that low... probably kept bottoming them out.

the megans are ok. i've seen lots of springs snapping in the mitsu world though. nothing else to report.

megan makes the only coilover for my kia rio, lol.

they aren't made to be run that low... probably kept bottoming them out.

the megans are ok. i've seen lots of springs snapping in the mitsu world though. nothing else to report.

megan makes the only coilover for my kia rio, lol.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too on the KYBs...the Excels/GR2s are more of a factory replacement...2.25" drop was probably too much.

I probably wouldn't use Megan springs. The drop is too low for DD duties. Eibach Pro Kit is what I'll probably go with there. It's about 1.5" on an EK Civic. Should be great for daily use.

I remember getting a bunch of Megan stuff back in the day. Never knew if they were a knockoff brand or just a new manufacturer. Always seemed like good, entry level stuff to buy.

They were started right when I was getting big into the scene.

http://www.meganracing.com/about/company_profile.asp

Yeah, I had a header and a strut tower brace from them back in the day too. No complaints about that stuff.

Looks like I'll probably be giving these shocks a try. I'll report back with a review!

Welp, it took me a few months, but I did pull the trigger on these. Found a store on Ebay selling 4 shocks and the top hat kits for $300. That way I can just assemble the new struts off of the car and not even have to mess with my spring compressors to scavenge the parts I would need otherwise. Ordered Eibach Pro Kit springs as well. Will review once I receive and install.

Yeah, figured I should jump on that. The Eibachs were $240, so I'll have a nicely refreshed suspension for about $550.

Yeah, I thought about that, but I really don't need any height tuning. This truly is a DD. It's an automatic sedan. No engine mods currently and not planning any. All I want is a mild lowering, freshen up the shocks, and maybe some used wheels.

Last edited:
Yeah I know, just saying that for pretty much the same price you could get known quality hardware. :)

Yeah I know, just saying that for pretty much the same price you could get known quality hardware. :)

True, true. Well, I mean, the Eibach springs are proven quality. I guess it's just the shocks I'm taking a gamble on.

I feel like there's no way they could be worse than what I'm riding on now. The car is 200k+ miles and the body roll is pretty ridiculous. None of the shocks are leaking as far as I can tell, but they're obviously worn out. I'll be happy to firm this thing up.

True, true. Well, I mean, the Eibach springs are proven quality. I guess it's just the shocks I'm taking a gamble on.

I feel like there's no way they could be worse than what I'm riding on now. The car is 200k+ miles and the body roll is pretty ridiculous. None of the shocks are leaking as far as I can tell, but they're obviously worn out. I'll be happy to firm this thing up.
True. Thanks for taking one for the team. :D

True. Thanks for taking one for the team. :D

Haha, happy to help! :biggrin:

Unfortunately, the install will probably have to wait until next weekend. I received my springs and another package that I assumed was the shocks and mounts yesterday, but the box looked a little small. Got it home and opened it up, and as I suspected, it was only half of what I ordered (one front shock, one rear, two top hats), lol.

Seller was apologetic and cool though. The rest of it shipped out today.

Last weekend I preemptively jacked up the car and spent a few hours spraying the lower control arm bolts with PB Blaster and tapping them with hammers. Was able to get them both out and then slathered them with anti-seize and reinstalled. Every single time I've done suspension on a Civic or Integra, I end up breaking off the head of one of those bolts. Install should be quick and easy once I get the rest of my stuff!

thats the one thing i abhorred about working on those 90s chassis. breaking all the fucking suspension bolts.

Yeah, major pain in the ass. Weird thing too, for Hondas anyway, it's always the bolt that holds the shock to the LCA on the passenger side in back that seems to be stuck the worst. Heat from the exhaust maybe?

Welp...all my stuff arrived, so I went ahead and assembled everything in anticipation of an easy install this weekend. The real test of these shocks will obviously be once they're on the car, but I am impressed so far. The shocks themselves come with pre-shortened bump stops and dust covers, and if you buy the top hats as well, you'll have everything you need to assemble these without taking apart your existing shocks.

Will post some pics after the install.

22406469_10155496470155528_8879636109576897985_n.jpg
22366572_10155496469740528_3187906984112132785_n.jpg
22406323_10155496469560528_2591789965072305178_n.jpg
22405472_10155496468205528_9034106839387205089_n.jpg
22449888_10155496467025528_5404890035156350947_n.jpg

Back