Anyone Have Suggestions For Me?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

StealthMode

Kung Foolin'
i just recently got a car, and i'm 16. (please no one rag on me for knowing nothing) but i just wanted to know what would be the best setup for my 94 civic cx. (isn't this the lightest one?) let me know.

Welcome!

You pretty much have endless options. Any B-series will bolt right in. Take your pick(B16, B17, B18, B20).
You can throw a H22 in there as well if you really want.
What are you going to do with the car?

Estimated swap costs(parts and labor):
B16a2,3 = $2200-3000
B18a/b = $1000-2000
B18C1 = $4000-4500
B18C5 = $5000-5500
H22 = $3900-4500
B20/Vtec = $4000-4700

Link on the line below and read the articles, that should atleast get the gears turning. :
https://hondaswap.com/swap/info.php

(if anyone will even look at this)

i want to put a B18 in. pretty basic ideas here, i don't know a whole lot. intake, cat-back exhaust, mainly the things to keep the B18 running. but my car's red, and i want to get some black 17's (lightweight) and a black carbon fiber hood, wrap-aroung spoiler, bodykit. thanks for the advice.

:ph34r:

Skip the kit and the wing, that money will buy you a better valve train for you B18. Go with some 15" rims instead. IMO 17s look goofy on a Honda.

Which B18 are you looking at?

shoot man i don't know. a good one i hope. i don't really know much about all this yet. but i don't necessarily want to get my new engine absolutely RIGHT NOW. first off i don't have the money for it, (i'm 16 and make $9.18/hour and only work like 12 hours a week until summer {pool lifeguard}). so not too many options yet. but i also want my car to look nice, but i don't wanna go overboard cause people will think my car is fast and it won't be and that's weak. plus my car only has 140k miles.

only time can tell.

also what's the difference between a B18 a/b and a B18 C1?

the cost is significantly higher for the C1, but what's the difference in performance and maintenence?

Maintenance is not much different change your oil regularly, keep coolant in it, you do have to run higher grade gas though. But the C1 performs much better. 10:1 compression and VTEC paired with a tighter tranny.

the best advice i can possibly give you is this:
the first thing you sould invest is, time into RESEARCH
this will save you from wasting money on parts that dont doo much if anything at all
this will also save you from getting the wrong parts for your goals
i put about 2 years into planning my project (im OCD as hell) i am happy as hell with every thing i have now
you dont need to put quite that much time into it but the more time you spend the less money you will waste

research research research

i agree.

ASK a whole lot here, buy later. As long as you post with an open mind and admit to not knowing anything, people will help you out.
its the arrogant fucks that come in talking shit about how they want to run 10s on NAWWWWS and still don't have a clue.

now, as far as your car goes- what do YOU want out of it?
do you intend to race it? if so- what kind? autox, drag, road course? etc...
or, do you just want a daily driver with a little more pep?
or, do you want to be a street racer and win mad hunnies y0!
(we don't promote street racing here)
but, if you want to build your car for that, we can guide you through.

well i think i'm going for the everyday driver with more pep. i mean, it's not like i can afford 2 cars and build one up for only racing. of course i would like to take it to the high school drags or race it sometimes, but mostly it would be for everyday use. so it seems like the B18C1 would be the best bet, cause it has the vtec. thanks a lot. this really helps.

so what else would i be looking at when i want to put the B18 in? (extra parts, etc.)

I'd suggest the GSR swap for you as well. it has better off the line power than a b16 does due to more lower torque - and that helps you get going.

to get the gsr into your 94 cx, you need a couple things.
assuming you get the COMPLETE 94-95 obd1 GSR swap,
in addition, you will need:
IAB wires (for the butterflies in the intanke maifold.
convert to 4 wire O2 sensor
VTEC solenoid and VTEC pressure wires
add knock sensor wire (well, depends if you decided to use the p72 gsr ecu, but you should)
94-95 gsr upper radiator hose
94-95 del sol vtec lower radiator hose
94-95 GSR throttle cable
if you want a/c (which you probably don't have anyway) you need a del sol vtec 94-95 a/c mounting braket

other than that, it will drop right in =)

it sounds like a lot of custom shit, but its really not that bad at all. just be prepared to spend the extra cash- the oem honda parts add up fast.

thanks, is the GSR a B18, or what?
i was also thinking about the B20vtec cause the price range is about the same as the B18C1. all that seems pretty easy to do (or have done :blink: )
but where would i usually be able to find all the stuff. would i have to go to a salvage yard (which i don't think would be the best) or would i have to order them.
(surprisingly i DO have a/c)

how much do you think the gsr and other parts would cost me?

the gsr is the b18c1
the type r is the b18c5
to do the b20vtec you need some understanding of engine work and what not
you can find some stuff probably in junk yards but would u trust some of the stuff out the the yards? looking on ebay you can find stuff

Originally posted by DazedCivic99@Mar 20 2003, 03:15 AM

you can find some stuff probably in junk yards but would u trust some of the stuff out the the yards?

I have never understood people who say stuff like this.Where do you think the motors people order come from?People don't drop off their used cars at the exporter and say "there you go".They are salvage motors and parts.

yea true i just thought about that some more, like anything that i get i would see how it looks and decide from there, good point there

Yea,it is always better if you can see parts beforehand.

You should sell your CX and buy a Skyline yo! But if you wanna go the cheaper route, B16A. I like the B16A, it's a damn good motor, it'll drop in easier than the GSR motor, you won't have as much power but it's cheaper and can easily be stroked to 1.8 liters.

ok, don't mak ethe huge mistake many people do at 16, if you are serious save your money and do a swap. don't but random parts an engine will be the best thing you have ever spent money on. Asking questions here is good I'm sure I annoy everyone since I ask like 9 questions before I'll buy any part but since coming here I've been happy with everything I've bought.

Originally posted by Callidus@Mar 19 2003, 09:06 PM
i was also thinking about the B20vtec cause the price range is about the same as the B18C1.

not even close. the b20/vtec will cost you about double.

Back