Anyone In here Play Guitar?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Dustin_m

Well, i just want to know if anyone plays because i am considering buying a guitar and i want some advice on what to buy.

basically i have always loved the bass and eventually want to play that. Right now though i think i want an acoustic just to learn on, and its easier to take along if i go somewhere. Plus I've always loved the sound of an acoustic since you can go any way with it, blues, rock, anything. The band I've been listening to lately is Yellowcard and i like the way they sound, a lot of acoustic.

My questions are What kind should i look for to learn on? What kind of price range am i looking at and what other stuff do i need to buy? Is it an ok idea to buy a used one, and what should i look for if i do? And last of all, whats the best way to learn other than lessons, cause i dont think i can afford them right now. Are there any good videos or something?

http://www.wholenote.com/ has a dickload of lessons and tabs.

guitar itself? well, its all about budget once again.
IMO, fender ac's suck ass. stay away.
Applause by ovation are cheap copys that actually sound and play very good for their price. that's what I'd recommend.

unless you're rich.... then get a gibson Jumbo :)

Get a mahogany Martin J-15 like mine. Only $1200 :ph34r:

Seriously, though, Ibanez makes good entry level electric guitars and like B said, the Ovation Applauses are good git-fiddles for the average beginner and they sound decent too.

Alright thanks. and about getting the bass first, well i kinda just want to learn the basics on a regular, then move to the bass. I wouldn't want to learn on the bass and not even be able to pick up a regualr guitar and play chords and stuff. If i learn on the acoustic, then learning the bass would be a lot easier and then I'd know both.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Mar 30 2004, 04:22 AM
http://www.wholenote.com/ has a dickload of lessons and tabs.

guitar itself? well, its all about budget once again.
IMO, fender ac's suck ass. stay away.
Applause by ovation are cheap copys that actually sound and play very good for their price. that's what I'd recommend.

unless you're rich.... then get a gibson Jumbo :)

actually i have a fender acoustic and they have gotten better then they were in the past, have a good friend thats been playing for years that has had experience with them. the sound is really rich and responsive and extremely nice. Everyone that has played my guitar has loved the sound. I would co check www.americanmusical.com they have somes stuff, i got my fender as a gift for christmas in some type of kit. T

IMO if you are just trying out playing, buy something cheap like a Arias, or Harmony, at the most an Epiphone. Thjere's no reason to spend more than $150 on a first guitar. If you like it and want to move forward, stay with an Epiphone, or move into Fender low level Gibsons, Ibanez, or something like that. If you're straight ballin' plunk down the ducks for a Paul Reed Smith, one of the nicest production guitars you can buy. If you're a real baller, send my your first born and I'll build you one.

I love my Dimebag:

DIMEBAG.jpg

if yuo want an acoustic get a yamaha or fender, they play well and there easy to learn on.

I started to learn on Tacoma acoustic. sounded and played real nice.
my only complaint was the high action but I got used to it. and I never really
finished learning how to play

I agree with the cheap guitar first, go to a few music shops and ask them what they suggest you learn on, expect to pay about 150-200 bucks for a good beginers guitar. Different music shops will push different guitar companies and guitars. I say choose the one that sits the best in your lap, looks the best, and has a good comprimising cost. It really does not matter as if you get into playing guitar you will ditch this guitar for a new one in about a year or two anyways.
Oh and in my opinion, learn guitar first and then go to the bass, it is much harder to just go to bass, you need to learn chord fundiments and other stuff before you go on to the bass, it makes you a much more rounded bass player.

Originally posted by MaaseyRacer@Mar 30 2004, 05:39 PM
I agree with the cheap guitar first, go to a few music shops and ask them what they suggest you learn on, expect to pay about 150-200 bucks for a good beginers guitar. Different music shops will push different guitar companies and guitars. I say choose the one that sits the best in your lap, looks the best, and has a good comprimising cost. It really does not matter as if you get into playing guitar you will ditch this guitar for a new one in about a year or two anyways.
Oh and in my opinion, learn guitar first and then go to the bass, it is much harder to just go to bass, you need to learn chord fundiments and other stuff before you go on to the bass, it makes you a much more rounded bass player.

yeah thats jsut what i was thinkin. so other than the guitar and picks, dont i need a tuner?

oh yeah and no one answered the question about how to learn. Any good videos?

If you've played any other stringed insturment, or even the piano, you'll pick it up quickly (I guess those 9 years of violin lessons did somehting good for me!). Get a teacher and take some lessons. Even if you take them for just 6 months, you'll improve very quickly so that you'll get to a state where you can easily teach yourself. I took lessons for about a year and then quit, but I've taught myself a lot using the internet and my inherant musical ability (back to those 9 years or torture).

Actually i played trumpet through school, so music is nothing new to me and i have a good ability to hear a rhythm and stuff, just dont know if private lessons are gonna cost too much right now.

this is going to sound gay-

but rip out your grunge era CDs.... nirvana, offspring, etc
the songs are so freakin easy.

get the chords down and then just play with your CD on.

Yeah, guess that would work. Well i would have to use the comp w/ mp3's cuz all those old cds got stolen one of the times they broke in my CRX. I had cds from back in the mid 90's in there, pissed me off bad that i lost em all. But ya sounds like it could work.
I got an old ass video from when i was a little kid called Play The Guitar Overnight, i think i still have it. I know it teaches the chords and stuff, so i might dig it out.

Back