Anyone know about wood floors? Mine are wearing out in some spots...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

civicious

Buck Futter
VIP
OK, so the house I'm currently renting was built in the 1920's, and has wood floors throughout. I've cleaned them regularly, and I use Pledge on occasion to clean them as well.

Admittedly, I know absolutely nothing about wood floors.

There are a few spots that are starting to wear, namely in the front walkway and where my desk chair rolls around.

I've done some Googling, but haven't been able to come up with a whole lot of productive info - the sources that seem to be 'in the know' have one answer - refinish the entire floor. I can't imagine how goddamn expensive that will be, since the whole house (Except for the bathroom) is ONE continuous floor. Is there another way to do it? Can I spot-treat the worn spots?

Also, since I'm renting the house, is this something the homeowner should take care of?

I didn't even want this god damned house in the first place, but that stupid whore I was dating talked me into getting a house with her a week before she decided she was dumping my ass and moving to San Diego.

Help?

Unless it's unsafe, the landlord doesn't have to take care of something cosmetic....and yes you'd have to refinish the whole floor not just a few spots here and there or obviously it won't look right...

and even if you wanted too pay to have it done..you'd have to check with your landlord before doing something like that

first, get yourself a chair mat or something to protect the floor, you dont want the landlord blaming you
i agree with everything stated above, i think your best bet for the front hall is a carpet runner to cover the bad spot and prevent more damage till you can GTFO

Bruce%20Fresh%20Finish.JPG

You could try this stuff it worked on my old floors a little. Basically its a urathane top coat that ya do once or twice a year.

I would use a proudct like the one above. If your floor is wearing that much they probably didn't put enough coats on it in the first place.
I put some Minwax wipe on poly in some areas that had scratches on my floor. It matches pretty good and gave it a little protection. The wipe poly has less of a film build so it blends a little better. Use with caution and test a small spot if you do it.

I would use a proudct like the one above. If your floor is wearing that much they probably didn't put enough coats on it in the first place.
I put some Minwax wipe on poly in some areas that had scratches on my floor. It matches pretty good and gave it a little protection. The wipe poly has less of a film build so it blends a little better. Use with caution and test a small spot if you do it.

Agreed.

Get some carpet runners temporarily until you leave.

When I first red this, I was thinking"Re-Finish that shit", until I saw you were renting. So yeah screw doing anything labor intensive. Just try to slow down the wear and tear with temporary protection.

Back