Anyone near/in Hartford CT

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Okay,

I'm on a quest for a car. This quest has spanned nearly a year long and I've looked at a million and one different cars by now.

I'm set on a WRX.


I found this cars.com ad online, but its 2 1/2 hours away from me.

If anyone is willing to go check the car out for me and tell me if its worth the drive, as in if its in good cosmetic and mechanical condition, would be A-okay in my book.

http://cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?track...74&aff=national

If its a nice car, I'll more than likely buy it. I just don't want to travel 2 1/2 hours to be buttfucked and return home. If I go, I want to be sure I'm coming back with a car.

Any help appreciated.
 

posol

Staff member
um, thats great and all, and i'd love to help you out, but that link doesn't tell me where it is or anything. is this a private seller?
 
Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jul 10 2005, 04:30 PM
um, thats great and all, and i'd love to help you out, but that link doesn't tell me where it is or anything. is this a private seller?
[post=523678]Quoted post[/post]​



Private sale.

I just did an area code listing

Hartford, CT
203, 860


I don't know details because I figured it would be easier for someone near by to call/check it out because they know the area.

If anyone is willing to go if I call and get an exact address, then I'll do so.
 
Originally posted by allbottledup@Jul 10 2005, 08:18 PM
wow that ad says nothing.
[post=523740]Quoted post[/post]​


Indeed.


Most private owners don't know how to create a useful listing worth a shit, that is if they're not car enthuisiasts.

There's another listing on a privately owned car that provides as little info as this one, thats an hour or so away from me.


I'll call on the car tomorrow and try to get an address and some details for anyone in the area willing to check the car out.
 

posol

Staff member
to be quite honest with you, if its not at a dealership, i have 0 intentions to go to some dudes apt. in hartford. i don't think there are any houses there. all apts, and shit, and most of it is a shit hole.

i think you can find something better IMO
 

CRX-YEM

Moderator
VIP
man do your homework

We're sorry. We did not find a listing for the phone number you entered.
The phone number "(860) 276-7307" is a Southington, CT based phone number and the registered carrier is Southern New England Telephone Co. However, due to number portability, some numbers have been transferred to a new service provider other than the registered carrier.

you really need to lookup the area code and preffix.
 
SNET is still around though, yeah. Anyway, if no one else helps you, I may be able to see it Saturday.

Also, this price is nothing for a private party. I have found them at $12,000 with that many miles. Only when you add the accessories (BBS wheels and the such) do they go up to $14,000. And $14,000 private party better be something nice.

Of course, I was looking up Wagons. Who knows, maybe the coupes are cheaper. Guarantee, however that if the car is from Hartford it's the same as being from New York. Dents and Dings all over. Call the guy, if it's an adult then you may ok, but if it's a kid then RUN, don't walk from that deal.

As a slight sidenote, these cars aren't all they cracked up to be. Maybe with a 2.5 JDM TT conversion, or with lots of investment. But they guzzle gas like a Durango.
 
Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jul 11 2005, 07:47 AM
to be quite honest with you, if its not at a dealership, i have 0 intentions to go to some dudes apt. in hartford. i don't think there are any houses there. all apts, and shit, and most of it is a shit hole.

i think you can find something better IMO
[post=523972]Quoted post[/post]​



For the milage and year the price was right. Most people want too much for the cars if their enthuisiasts and most dealerships have autos or wagons.
 
Maintenance records.
Silver
All stock
Turbo gauge
New bumper
Good condition


Carfax shows a lemon buyback. Subaru bought the car back under the lemon law and fixed the car, drove it for 500 miles without a problem, then sold it to a man who worked for a subaru dealership who immediately re-sold the car to this kid.

Kid bought it at 20,000miles and has it until now.


137 Old Canal Way
Simsburry, CT

Right off of route 10.

Since a kid bought it, I'm sure celerity will probably tell me to run run run, being what it is but I've searched and searched for this car. No one has a car priced in the 12's and if they do it has 100,000miles plus on it. There's a guy that has 75,000 miles on his car that wants 13,500. I can do up to around 14,000 or so with as low miles as possible, but if I can pick this car up for cheap and its in good condition then I'll do that.

Anyone who is mechanically savvy and willing to check the car out, let me know please.
 

posol

Staff member
new bumper = he crashed it. whether car fax reports it or not...

simsbury = rich snob town. daddy probably bought it for him, and probably NEVER took care of the thing, cuz daddy would just buy him a new one.

i might be able to swing by on tuesday.
 
Yeah, I would pass that up. At a dealer I managed $15k for a 2002 wagon with the BBS / Momo combos. 50,000 miles and it was well cared for.

Yeah, I've pushed you up $3000, but what are you looking for at that savings anyway ? a beaten-on car, potentially burned out and if the Turbo fried, then you're staring down the barrel of a $1000 gun anyway.

I've found that people so far only get rid of the coupes for a few reasons: Trade ins for Wagons or STis, 350Zs or EVO8s. If it's not one of those reasons, than I would think about why he's getting rid of it.
 
Originally posted by Celerity@Jul 11 2005, 11:23 AM
Yeah, I would pass that up. At a dealer I managed $15k for a 2002 wagon with the BBS / Momo combos. 50,000 miles and it was well cared for.

Yeah, I've pushed you up $3000, but what are you looking for at that savings anyway ? a beaten-on car, potentially burned out and if the Turbo fried, then you're staring down the barrel of a $1000 gun anyway.

I've found that people so far only get rid of the coupes for a few reasons: Trade ins for Wagons or STis, 350Zs or EVO8s. If it's not one of those reasons, than I would think about why he's getting rid of it.
[post=524067]Quoted post[/post]​



Finnacial reasons was the answer I received. So there goes the whole, "it was mommy and daddy's car" either that or they stopped paying for it. I prefer to buy a car from a nice neighborhood, it usually reflects the driver.

I always ask that question.


The bump he flat out told me that he dipped in someone's driveway and busted it up so he got a new one. If nothing else if you guys are near by and can check it out and it proves to be a nice car then I'd be interested.

The car was taken back as a lemon as I said but that might just help me negiotiate the price down a bit. It passed subaru's test and has gone for another 48,000 miles since without any problems. The kid said he had pretty much every document there was on the car, which leads me to believe he's meticulous and cares about the car, and has pretty much only oil changes documented save for the 60,000 mile work done on the car.

As for the price, I see a '02 Silver sedan without a spoiler and the regular silver alloy wheels with 57,000 miles listed as a "dealer's special" at $14,400.

Wagons prices vary so drastically as does their availability from the sedans. I can get a '02 wagon with 14,xxx miles for $15,000 if I worked the dealer down but I'm not really interested in the wagon.

As for gas mileage, currently I'm driving a suzuki vitara (see: chevvy tracker) 5spd that gets between 17-20mpg. If I can get 20-28mpg with this, even though its more expensive gas, I'd be happy.

*edit - I mindlessly forgot to thank those of you who have responded to my cry out for help, thus far. Thanks.
 
Originally posted by New2TheCarScene@Jul 11 2005, 03:58 PM
As for gas mileage, currently I'm driving a suzuki vitara (see: chevvy tracker) 5spd that gets between 17-20mpg. If I can get 20-28mpg with this, even though its more expensive gas, I'd be happy.
[post=524263]Quoted post[/post]​



HAH we got rid of our Tracker for the Scoob too. Piece of shit.

We got 28 mpg with the Tracker, and you'll be LUCKY (like, extremely) to get 20 mpg in the Scoob. Never chintz on the octane - the low octane burns away with about 15 mpg.

Lemme know what you're doin with the Tracker... ours just has no compression in the #4, may drop in a new one if the price is right.
 
http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?t=110487

See here's a sedan with 21,000 miles listed at $16,500.
Thats a good price, too.

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?t=109115
'02 with 33,000-34,000 miles on it for $16,500.

I can get a wagon with 7,000 less miles for $1,500 less or so. I wish the sedan was the price of the wagon.

Here's the one at the dealer I was talking about, 57,000 miles listed for $14,500. If i could get it for $13,500 I'd be happy or if the one in CT is nice and I can get it for $11,500-$12,000 I'd jump on it.
 
Originally posted by Celerity@Jul 11 2005, 04:15 PM
HAH we got rid of our Tracker for the Scoob too. Piece of shit.

We got 28 mpg with the Tracker, and you'll be LUCKY (like, extremely) to get 20 mpg in the Scoob. Never chintz on the octane - the low octane burns away with about 15 mpg.

Lemme know what you're doin with the Tracker... ours just has no compression in the #4, may drop in a new one if the price is right.



Its a 2000 Suzuki Vitara. It has the small engine and a 5spd transmission. It was my dad's old car and he drives crazy amounts. It has like 171k on the clock now.
 
I used to think highly of the Tracker, but the timing belt outlasted the rings, and that's just wrong. 80 k and the #2 cylinder hole was stripped (A spark plug blew up on me on the road, and I cleaned it best I could at 10:00 at night in a parking lot) and the new plug shredded the hole. So I sent it off to be re-tapped and the guys did it, but found 0 compression in the #4. The car ran like shit for 3 months before then.

All in all, a respectable vehicle in it's strength and actual body.. but the 1.6 was a heddy piece of shit.

Now with the WRX you'll get into all sorts of quirks like the starved #3, rough rotations and balancing issues.. then the transmission... Yeah, the beauty of all wheel drive.
 
Originally posted by Celerity@Jul 12 2005, 12:20 PM
I used to think highly of the Tracker, but the timing belt outlasted the rings, and that's just wrong. 80 k and the #2 cylinder hole was stripped (A spark plug blew up on me on the road, and I cleaned it best I could at 10:00 at night in a parking lot) and the new plug shredded the hole. So I sent it off to be re-tapped and the guys did it, but found 0 compression in the #4. The car ran like shit for 3 months before then.

All in all, a respectable vehicle in it's strength and actual body.. but the 1.6 was a heddy piece of shit.

Now with the WRX you'll get into all sorts of quirks like the starved #3, rough rotations and balancing issues.. then the transmission... Yeah, the beauty of all wheel drive.
[post=524755]Quoted post[/post]​


My dad's Vitara needed a new transmission within the first year we had it. Back in 2000 they weren't offering the 7year/70,000 mile POWERTRAIN warranty. The transmission had metal shavings in it and basically ate itself. It was too new to have any rebuilds so it was 3000 for a new one. My dad didn't argue with the dealership, but he should have and had Suzuki cover the problem because it was utter bullshit. Other then that the car has had some radiator issues caused pretty much by the dealer cracking it while installing the tranny and doing belt work. A bunch of thermostats stuck open too.
 
Top