Are we ever "TOO OLD" ?!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SPEEDFREAK0920

I've been into the car scene ever since I was in high school. My sophomore year when I turned 16 and got my license I was always hitting up the local "car spots" (usually the BK parking lot,Strats,or the infamous Barrington and 19) every weekend. I'd always seem to have a good time. See some nice cars. Talk and meet new people. Get to see some occasional, big hp street races! Man, that was the coolest thing me, as a car nut, could do (unless you were the fortunate kid to have a brand new Rsx or Evo back in 02/03 Damn rich kids :silly:) But in all honesty, I could go to these meets or gatherings every weekend, friday saturday AND sunday! And it wasn't just me. No one usually goes to these meets by themselves, no way! We'd go with like 4-5 cars and like 4 ppl in each car! haha Oh I almost forgot, F&F had just come out around that time also. So I'm sure many of you can relate to what I have to say ?!

The one person that was with me at almost every event/meet/gathering that DIDN'T "always" have a good time was.....my girlfriend

In fact, she used to say say "Oh its ok" or "No, I'm not tired of standing in a parking lot for 4 hours". Emphasize on the "used to"!

Now I can't go to a car meet that lasts more than an hour, and if we've already seen the car once before ,then according to her, there's no point in going and checking it out again (even if I did pass up the uber-cool APR cf lip on an evo earlier or if I missed the fatty "blacked out" fmic on a sleeper RSX!).

Now my girl has been on this trip....."YOU'RE TOO OLD TO BE GOING TO THESE CAR MEETS ANYMORE" ..............Like a dagger in my heart.....like a 3inch carpenters's nail into your brand new drag-radial.......like curbing your fresh dc5-Rs...... (maybe not as bad as the curbage, but you get the idea)

So fellas AND ladies! What do you think? When is enough enough? Is there such a thing?!

Should we care that were are going to a Dyno Day expecting to see some bad *ss cars and end up standing next to a group of 16-17 yr olds "ooohhhinnnggg and aahhhhhhhh-ing" over a bolt-on 8th gen SI ?? Or should we be embarrased to park next to a bunch of kids in a slammed Scion at the next Strats meet?

In my defense I tell her that I only attend these meets to check out the "competition". It's my way of finding out what the other O.G's have up their sleeves ;)

I been with my lady for almost 8 years now and as Thurgood Jenkins said "I LOVE CAR MEETS, I LOVE THEM! BUT NO AS MUCH AS I LOOOVVEEEE ****Y!"

:beer:

cant really relate to it... i've been into cars for a looong time, but never the car scene (meets and stuff).. but i say no... its just like the 40-50 yr olds meeting up w/ their hotrods and stuff.. those were the cars of their days and they still enjoy them and meeting up w/ other owners..

how old are you?

1) you should be able to do stuff separate from the significant other. individual personal hobbies builds relationships, not tear them apart. do your own thing with the boys, she can go with her girls.

2) short answer, yes. if you are 30 and still love hondas, you either haven't really grown up personally or don't make much money and they are still eyecandy.

i've owned 9 hondas, 4 nissans, a couple randoms and a couple bikes. i still appreciate a well built car, but don't react like, "omgz thats a full cf racing seat on that honda and it even has a cool broadway mirror". with growing up and being able to afford more/better cars, it takes more to turn my head.

:cliffs:

yes, if you are over 25, you are too old to be mesmerized by hondas. but no, you are never to old to enjoy cars themselves.

cant really relate to it... i've been into cars for a looong time, but never the car scene (meets and stuff).. but i say no... its just like the 40-50 yr olds meeting up w/ their hotrods and stuff.. those were the cars of their days and they still enjoy them and meeting up w/ other owners..

I have to agree. I love my s2k, but ill be damned if im caught breathing with the dallas import scene. I'll borrow a friend's nova, or start working on some other muscle car and be in that scene before I, at 23 years old, am ever seen rolling with the honda kids again. It was nice while i was in my teens rocking a broke ass prelude, but these days, it just seems childish.

Now, dont get me wrong, I am the guy trying to find his wife a civic/integra/accord so he can have something to wrench on and still be functional, but i dont think id ever take her car to something like that. These days i just do it for me.

I used to be addicted to cars. Then I moved to a place where I did not need a car. Now I am no longer "into" them. I may miss spirited drives on sunny days, but I do not miss paying for ins/gass/repairs/parking/etc.

to the OP:

do what you want. if you want to be 50 and rockin a honda, so be it.

on our mirage board, we have a 55 year old man in texas rocking a turbo coupe. one of the nicest cars on the board. complete sleeper at 312whp/278wtq.... but also looks showroom new.

file.php

Last edited:

:concur:

but those guys tend to be older and more mature. honda owners get more douche-y with every fast and furious movie that comes out.

i have 0 desire whatsoever to be remotely associated with 99% of people who own a honda.

i still appreciate a well built car, but don't react like, "omgz thats a full cf racing seat on that honda and it even has a cool broadway mirror". with growing up and being able to afford more/better cars, it takes more to turn my head.

:werd:

to the OP:

do what you want. if you want to be 50 and rockin a honda, so be it.

on our mirage board, we have a 55 year old man in texas rocking a turbo coupe. one of the nicest cars on the board. complete sleeper at 312whp/278wtq.... but also looks showroom new.

also :werd:

I may agree with the first quote personally, but that's me. You do what makes you happy!

1) you should be able to do stuff separate from the significant other. individual personal hobbies builds relationships, not tear them apart. do your own thing with the boys, she can go with her girls.

abso-fucking-lutely

if shes not into car shows and meets then she doesnt need to go... or if she wants to go and look around but doesnt want to stay all night, then she can drive her self there and leave when shes ready to

i fucking hate when the significant other tags along every fucking where and then sits there bored and miserable the whole damn time bringing down everyone elses enjoyment... when they should have stayed the fuck home or went out and did something else and met up later

age isn't the problem here... interest is.

do you enjoy going to the mall with her to shop for a Coach handbag? Or the I-phone cases?. or the latest fall/winter styles?....

hell....NO!!!.

I'm 37...and I still go to meet's some times, and I also toss meet's...

my two buddies who are 25 and 47ish..went to a meet a few weeks ago...they had an aged fellow come up to them and said he had a rare car that they liked...at first...the BS metter pegged high...but the aftermath just hit the net, and it's coming to magazines real soon.

CTZCC.COM :: View topic - GREAT NEWS! Car HLS30-00013 FOUND IN CT!!!

I was at the unvailing at another meet...

AM I OLD? :wheelchair:

:ph34r:

I'm 27 and I can't stand going to those stupid parking lot car meets. It usually just turns into stupid crap with people street racing to 'impress' us all.

I'd rather sit around at my house and act like I'm 37.

it definitely depends on the maturity level of the meet / get together in question

if its a more mature crowd just hanging out, talking, checking out cars, and being respectable, then cool
if its a bunch idiots acting like immature jackasses, racing around, jumping all over the place like fucking morons, then no i do not want to be around them

ive grown up and moved onto minitrucks...bagged and body dropped ones or as most of you all call em "lowriders". the minitruck is way more relaxed, friendly, down to earth (in more ways than 1) and helpful. not to mention we all dig dragging our trucks. i have found that most of the import scene is full of young, stupid, arrogant, hateful, disrespectful little ass fucks who run around town talking shit about each other while thinking there shit dont stink. thats why im out of that scene.

I have a s2k... enough said with money... EVERY girl Ive ever dated has given me shit about my cars and how i spend moneyon them and how I could have bought a house or 2!... Im supposively having a kid soon and everyones like "looks like your getting rid of the s2000" thing is... IM NOT! like theres older guys with this car and kids. theres older guys with kids and multiple cars and seriously more expensive cars then mine. Women would rather have us INTERESTED in mowing lawns, and mulching their gardens and cleaning up after ourselves then having them make dinner... us eating it... and bailing on the dishes to goto a car meet. enough is only enough when your taking what matters and you put it aside for the cars. Life allows you to eat cookies... and cake!

i go to meets where we all just sit in parking lots on boring friday and saturday nights..we all just like to catch up and hangout..then the occasional backroad race will come up...

ronnycage: well said

esolsi: hahaha you crack me up man. But I totally agree with you. The nagging gets annoying real quick when I'm out at a car event.

thanks for the responses guys..........

I haven't been to anything car related probably since high school. And even then it was the parking lot meets. Lots of cool cars and a mostly chill crowd.

In college, none of my friends were really into cars. My roommate had a bad ass Jeep that we had fun in, but that was about it. I was the car guy of my fraternity. When shit broke, people asked me to look at it. That was the extent of it. But I still enjoyed it by myself.

As for having a gf and a car, I generally put her before the car unless it wasn't running. I'd tinker with an engine I was building while she was at work or do any other project while she was occupied with other things. I wasn't the best boyfriend by any means, but the car never got in the way. If you want to still hit up meets or whatever, split the time. One weekend, hit a meet. The next, do something she wants to do. Compromise.

I haven't been to anything car related probably since high school. And even then it was the parking lot meets. Lots of cool cars and a mostly chill crowd.

In college, none of my friends were really into cars. My roommate had a bad ass Jeep that we had fun in, but that was about it. I was the car guy of my fraternity. When shit broke, people asked me to look at it. That was the extent of it. But I still enjoyed it by myself.

As for having a gf and a car, I generally put her before the car unless it wasn't running. I'd tinker with an engine I was building while she was at work or do any other project while she was occupied with other things. I wasn't the best boyfriend by any means, but the car never got in the way. If you want to still hit up meets or whatever, split the time. One weekend, hit a meet. The next, do something she wants to do. Compromise.

ive went to ep3hatch meets a bunch of times... im prolly going to honda vs vw but the weekly meets are unentertaining... im actually glad the cherryhill best buy meet is gone. whew so many people texting me every tuesday with a excuse on why I should go lol.

if you're girl doesn't want to go to the meets, leave her at home.

you could be off drinking/doing drugs/ banging hookers instead. if she can't accept your hobby, show her the door...

sure, it's been 8 years, but guess what, it's only going to get worse. get out now before you waste more of your life on a control freak

Back