atomesque car

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

VTEC_CBR

so my roommate is a mechanical engineer major. and about a week ago i showed him the video of the ariel atom, and that inspired him to want to build something similar for his senior project in 2 years. so anyway, we had decided to use a b16a or b18c1. but in thinking about it i came upon some problems. 1) (i don't know if it's a real problem, but it sounds like it might be) the fact that the axels on fwd cars are cv axels. this being a rwd set up we'd be using, i thought that those axels might come into play. 2) the shift linkage would go towards the back, at first i thought, well, we could mount the motor in backwards, but then it hit me that no. if we did that, we'd be able to go way fast in reverse, but have the reverse gear to launch us forward. so if it was in there in the correct position, we'd have to fabricate custom shift linkage. at this point it looked like the project came to a standstill. but then it hit me, correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the mr2 a rear motor rwd? i thought, we could use a 3sgte which looking on totaljdm.com or something like that, don't remember, anyway supposedly has 245hp and 225 lb/ft torque. so what do you think about my new idea? any advice? suggestions? thanks

that could work also, maybe even better.

Cant you just loop the linkage around, put like a 180* bend since you're going to have custom linkage anyway?

Originally posted by 92civicb18b1@Jan 18 2005, 02:58 PM
that could work also, maybe even better.

Cant you just loop the linkage around, put like a 180* bend since you're going to have custom linkage anyway?
[post=447490]Quoted post[/post]​

yeah, the only thing is that we want to do it as simply but as well done as possible. we don't want to HAVE to make custom linkage if we can avoid it y'know

Do the SC'd camry V6 like some guy did in his MR2. Cant remember what mag but it was in SCC or Sport Compact or something a couple months ago.

just throwin that out ther, i know you probably cant fit that in cause its bigger
edit: tranny was a solara manual tranny

what about the axels? is that a factor? or should i find custom non cv axels for it?

ya cv joints won't cause any problems at all they are used in the rear of a lot of vehicles the only concern is the power level they can stand

axles are ok, but getting the power from the axles to the wheels will be a whole diffrent story...
spindles in the rear perhaps?
lol

you may want to look into an H22 instead of the b series
H22 has a cable shifter that would be easier to use with a rear mount motor...
search online for H22 powered mini, some guy did that swap and has lots of detailed information on it

this sounds like a bit much for a senior project, gonna need lots of money too

There is also a RWD del sol with an H22 you can look into. I seem to remember a few posts about it at H-T.

Back