Automatic Gear Shifter

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

MenaceAccord92

Has anyone had this problem before? I can start my car in Park, but I can not shift to any other gears. I can start it from Neutral and then shift to all the other gears plus...I can put it back into Park, but again it will not shift into the other gears after that.

This was quoted from: www.cybertrails.com/~bestinthewest/autotips/994.90AcrdShiftKey.html

On all Accords, the transmission/transaxle is equipped with a key shift interlock system. The shift interlock system prevents the shifting lever from being moved from the park position unless the brake pedal is applied and the accelerator is in the idle (foot off pedal) position. If something happens to one of the components the shifter lever interlock system you can override the system by placing the ignition key in the key slot near the shift lever. The shift key lock interlock system prevents the ignition key from being removed from the ignition lock/switch assembly unless the shifter lever is in the park position.

When the shifter is in the park position, the ATCU (Automatic Transmission Control Unit) provides a voltage to the shift lock circuit in the interlock control unit, (IF) the brake pedal is depressed and your foot is off the accelerator (gas) pedal. If those two criteria are met, then the Interlock control unit energizes the shift lock solenoid by controlling the GROUND circuit. When the shift lock solenoid is energized, the shift lever can then be moved.

I wonder if my problem is that I'm not using the Accord ATCU. I'm using a Prelude ATCU right now.

maybe the prelude atcu is bad, try installing the accord actu see what happens.
it may be the shift interlock solenoid is bad... whatever it is called!

green wire with a white stripe, connected to your brake light switch. It sends a signal to your shifter console for the neutral safety switch. Use your manual to trouble shoot. It could be as simple as a fuse, a faulty switch, or a failed solenoid. If you pull your E brake, slide the seat to the rear, and take out the two screws in the front of the console, you should be able to remove your cupholder/console and inspect the works. There is a solder pile for every shifter position. You should read ground, with a multimeter, at each point for the respective shifter position. IE, ground on the park solder spot while in park, etc.

I just wired my alarm, so I looked right at mine. I hooked my neutral safety switch to that park ground point for my remote start.

There are six screws holding the console in, sorry.

Back