AWD converting LS transmission

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Kyle_Mintz

Hey, I was wondering if I can swap my awd bellhousing onto a good 5speed transmission and keep my awd set up. The awd trans is junk and automatic but have a friend who is gonna sell me a 5speed trans if I can do the swap. Also was told you can drill a hole into a gsr trans and mount the transfer case to create an awd gsr trans (same with type R trans) does anyone have any insight on any of this?

Thanks, is it difficult to install cable shift linkage into a DC/DB teg? If it's not then I may just build this spare D15 and buy the 92-00 awd trans (those are cheaper)

I have a 97 integra I'm swapping to awd. I found 92-2000 awd D series trans for $250 down side is they are cable driven. If it's not to hard I would convert my teg to cable driven for that swap. I'm building a D15b7 and a B20b. Right now I can go either way with my awd build. The diffrence is shift linkage and price for the transmissions. I want what is easier, but if it's cheaper and not to hard I'll do the Dseries awd. I just need some insight on the cable shifting conversion compared to the shift linkage found in the stock teg.

:disgust:
:facepalm:

just buy a Wagovan or a CR-V and mod either of those
or get another car that was AWD from the get go

converting a civic to AWD is neither cheep nor easy and you are just going to end up with a pile of parts that you have wasted a ton of money and time on only to end up with a "project" that goes nowhere eventually getting thrown away or parted out for pennies on the dollar

the sheer fact that you are asking these questions means you do not have the knowledge or fabrication skills to pull this off

at least with a properly modded Wagovan or CR-V you will have a nice car that people can respect, rather than some cobbled together shit box that will likely never be correct

aside from the fact that either of those Honda AWD systems are delicate/fragile at best of times and they do not take well to high power levels without significant modification and upgrading
they also do not distribute power like you think they do, they are predominantly FWD and only send 10-20% of the power to the rear under low traction conditions (again without significant modification and upgrading)

if you want AWD get something that comes that way

and you realize all d/b awd systems are open diff front and rear right ? its like a 90/10 split... and as stated above you can get a 5 speed crv or 4wd civic pretty cheap, I dont get the awd fanboy scene

Dil, I have a donor car, and I have seen listing for D16 awd trans on ebay from Japan for $250. I looked at them and they are cable driven. I'm building both a B20 and D15b7 for the same set up, except HC D15b7 and heavy boost B20. Just wanted to know if anyone had any insight on what cable box to use for the manual trans

Also, I found LSD systems for both front an rear so locking won't be a problem. Plus, welding the transfer clutch packs for full time AWD

this thread is stupid.... doing anything with a d15 is a waste of time and putting a ef cable awd trans and transfer case paired with a boosted b20 would not only grenade it but the cars ment for a hydraulic trans and the mounts are completely different, theres no benefit to being awd , there are all motor bseries guys in the 7s fwd spanking GTR's , this is a glass pipe dream kid nonsense , and again if you can afford to do all this not only in expensive parts but fabrication you can afford a much nicer and faster chassis off the get go

Back