Axle length problem

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

fmrdodgeman

I did a search here as well as talked to everyone who has done this swap and no one has seen this. I need some help here.

I have a 95 Civic Ex with a B18C1 swap. The tranny I believe is out of a 99 or 2000 si. The left side axle fit in ok but the right shaft is probably an inch or 2 short. The trans is a hydraulic unit. As far as I know all B series right axles are the same 94 and up Integra or Civic. The engine alignment is correct and the mounts are B18 civic mounts. Any ideas.

alright heres what you do, if the Pass side axles still out look at the back of the hubs and see if it had groves it shouldnt, then look at the axle and see if it has a ring of Groves if it does you have a ABS axle and you need a NON ABS for a 94+ teg , 99-00 Civic, or any B16'ed Delsol i believe 94+

abs and non abs axles are still the same length, so thats not gonna make a difference. u sure u got the right axle and not one off an older civic or something?

ABS doesn't matter at all. You can try popping the ring off if it is, but I don't think it will make a difference. Possibly an automatic axle.

Also look at the spines on the shaft the goes into the spindles and tranny, on one of the axles this is going to be the full on bothsides, the other is going to have splines only halfway, I forget which one goes in the tranny, but if I remember correctly, the full spline goes in the diff, it's been a while.

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Aug 24 2005, 06:00 AM
ABS doesn't matter at all. You can try popping the ring off if it is, but I don't think it will make a difference. Possibly an automatic axle.

Also look at the spines on the shaft the goes into the spindles and tranny, on one of the axles this is going to be the full on bothsides, the other is going to have splines only halfway, I forget which one goes in the tranny, but if I remember correctly, the full spline goes in the diff, it's been a while.
[post=544417]Quoted post[/post]​

yea maybe auto, i was just sayin that from experiance, i was sold a ABS axle for a 94+ teggy and for some reason it was about an inch or 2 shorter then it should be, i brang it back and got non ABS and they worked perfect...

Nope, all manual B series axles 94+ are the same length. ABS is just a ring that the sensor reads as pulses.

Actually I picked up axles from even Advanced Auto parts and Auto zone. Went to summit racing equipment and pulled all possible right axles from their stock. All are absolutely the same. The trans is an s4c. Maybe I'll put it on the frame machine but an inch and a half would seem to be noticeable. I'm a 10 year ASE tech who left the dealer because minivans are boring. I left hot rodding because after working on minivans all day you don't want to work on your hot rod ( which this civic is replacing) Now I remember the other reasons I sold the old dodge -working out the bugs.

I could be wrong here, but when I got the axles for my swap (B16A2 into EG civic) I not only needed the axles, but this thing called a midshaft or something. It's a piece that bolts to the back of the motor and sits between one of the axles and the transaxle hole in the transmission. That could be your missing couple inches. However, I may be wrong as I don't know anything about B18 swaps. Anyone else know?

The passenger side is directly into the carrier so thats not it. This is horribly frusterating as the left side fits fine. Thanks. Ikeep thinking I'm overlooking something stupid but an inch and a half?

Originally posted by fmrdodgeman@Aug 24 2005, 11:20 PM
The passenger side is directly into the carrier so thats not it. This is horribly frusterating as the left side fits fine. Thanks. Ikeep thinking I'm overlooking something stupid but an inch and a half?
[post=544905]Quoted post[/post]​

like i said maybe its the wrong axle.. it might be for auto like the other guy said

deff got to and auto part store and ask to look at one and see whats wrong from there

theyre the same length.... that wouldnt make a difference. if its short then you have the wrong axle, theres no other way around it.

Originally posted by fmrdodgeman+Aug 25 2005, 11:10 PM-->
Is there the possibility of an s4c coming out of something other than a b series civic delsol or integra?
[post=545312]Quoted post[/post]​

Could have come from a 99-00 Si, but it would still not make a difference.

Originally posted by fmrdodgeman@Aug 26 2005, 01:19 AM
Does anyone know the difference between a right side LS axle vs the GSR?
[post=545356]Quoted post[/post]​

None

evoracer03
@Aug 26 2005, 05:03 AM
theyre the same length.... that wouldnt make a difference. if its short then you have the wrong axle, theres no other way around it.
[post=545447]Quoted post[/post]​

Correct

The company I bought my axles from said that they can be used in ANY B-series swap.

"Perfect for any B-Series engine swap into a Civic or Integra with hydraulic transmission. B16A, B16B, B18B, B18C1, B18C5, etc..."

Mine is a B16A2 swap and it required the midshaft. The axles fit perfectly with the midshaft.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Of course, it may be the fact that you're using a trans for a motor other than the B18C1 motor. Can you get rid of that trans and get the correct trans for that motor?

Originally posted by confusatron@Aug 27 2005, 07:03 AM
The company I bought my axles from said that they can be used in ANY B-series swap.

"Perfect for any B-Series engine swap into a Civic or Integra with hydraulic transmission. B16A, B16B, B18B, B18C1, B18C5, etc..."

Mine is a B16A2 swap and it required the midshaft. The axles fit perfectly with the midshaft.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Of course, it may be the fact that you're using a trans for a motor other than the B18C1 motor. Can you get rid of that trans and get the correct trans for that motor?
[post=545917]Quoted post[/post]​

are you actually suggesting that he toss his tranny for a new one because of a short axle??? man, thats like doin an engine swap cuz your fuel line leaks!! heres the deal....
no matter which engine or trans youre using, if its b-series and the left axle fits, then that means that the engine/tranny combo is in the correct position. period. now heres the sure fire way to determine your issue: measure the length of the driver side axle, the passenger side axle should be within 3/4", depending on how compressed the cv is. and before everybody goes telling me the passenger side is longer, let me just say that the axle itself is not any longer, only the splines so that the proper axle will line up on the correct side for the operation of the diff. if the axle is shorter than the driver side but the spline count is correct, odds are you got a 4th gen axle.

Originally posted by evoracer03@Aug 27 2005, 03:56 AM

are you actually suggesting that he toss his tranny for a new one because of a short axle??? man, thats like doin an engine swap cuz your fuel line leaks!! heres the deal....
no matter which engine or trans youre using, if its b-series and the left axle fits, then that means that the engine/tranny combo is in the correct position. period. now heres the sure fire way to determine your issue: measure the length of the driver side axle, the passenger side axle should be within 3/4", depending on how compressed the cv is. and before everybody goes telling me the passenger side is longer, let me just say that the axle itself is not any longer, only the splines so that the proper axle will line up on the correct side for the operation of the diff. if the axle is shorter than the driver side but the spline count is correct, odds are you got a 4th gen axle.
[post=545924]Quoted post[/post]​

listen to this man.. Btw almost forgot to ask does it fit all the way into the tranny?? becuz when i ran into the problem it was a 4th gen axle it went in about half n inch then just wouldnt.. not even sure the teeth lined up

Back