B&M vs. Skunk2 short shifter....

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

dc4dude

For christmas, my lovely wife got me a B&M short shifter for my integra... In my last one, i had a skunk2 short shifter and i was very happy with it... The wife asked a friend of hers what kind of shifter she should get me, and her friend being a mustang fan, suggested b&m... The main difference i see between the two, is the skunk2 has a bearing at the bottom where it meet the shift rod, whereas the b&m has some kind of O-ring assortment... Anyone out there that has experienced with either or both of these?

Had a b&m on one of my integras... it was real nice, good feel for a B series tranny. I had it in the car for several years before selling it and had no complaints. Ive never had a skunk2 short shifter, so i cant comment on them. One thing I have noticed over the last 15 years of owning integras is that the transmissions seem to last longer with the stock shifter in place.

In for the read, I've been thinking about installing a skunk2 when I change the bushings in my shift linkage. Its nasty sloppy right now. I can put it in 2nd, push it to the right, push straight up, and pull straight back and I'm in 4th.

It was slow at work the other day, so i went and installed it... Shifts are ALOT SHORTER than the the skunk2 shifter i had in my last integra. It also seems shorter in overall height, something i did not notice with the skunk2. Installation was pretty straight forward. My only concern is how the rubber O-rings will hold up over time as compared to its skunk2 counterpart. I guess thats where the price difference comes from?

I jokingly told my wife that she cheaped out on me and of course, she didn't see the humor and demanded that i remove it so she could return it.... Me and my big mouth... Lol

I could see how a trans with a short shifter would get damaged easier as there isnt a lot of room for error when power shifting, or bang shifting. Missed gears and stripped shift components seem to be the norm.... (Ask me how i know.... Lol) but maybe.... Just maybe, im old enough, and experienced enough now that i can refrain from beating the crap out of my car every stop sign, or stop light.... And maybe this trans will last me more than three years.... We shall see....

And finally, i was considering a shift knob extender... Any of you guys have any experience with those... Ive seen them a few times in the magazine cars... (No, not talking about dickskate's. brother's car) what makes me ask about shift extenders is i recently went to go see jack reacher with the wife and there is a chase scene where he is banging gears in a 70 chevelle and the shifting in that thing looks superb! I wonder if i could modify something to shift something like that....

Attachments

• image-401664676.jpg
    image-401664676.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 248
  • image-1323679563.jpg
    image-1323679563.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 296
the only difference i see with the new "short shifter" is that its longer at the bottom and shorter at the top... i just feel like its too short at the top, and want to keep the crisp feel of the shifter as it is now... and also by extending the top of the shifter, positioning it closer to the steering wheel, shorter shift times, less effort shifting... yadda yadda yadda.... im lazy and dont want to work so hard.. and my wife's feelings would be super hurt if i didnt keep it in the car... meaning no boom boom room time for a while.... trying to avoid all that...

I get it. I too would like a short throw but tall shifter in my race car. It would be nice to not have to reach so far from the wheel to shift, while maintaining a short throw.

Personally, I find that short shifters and the many different styles is a driver comfortably deal. I rock a no name in my current ek, and I had one in my eg coupe a while back. I see no difference in the two really.

Back